Mushroom hunting

blackradio

ok back to shrooms....... is there a good book or website for info on what to look for in mushrooms?  esp to tell the difference between pasture mushrooms and bad mushrooms.  Not really looking for the exotics but just a trusty website i can download pics to be sure .  Would love to get into some good mushrooms for a stew

ok back to shrooms....... is there a good book or website for info on what to look for in mushrooms?  esp to tell the difference between pasture mushrooms and bad mushrooms.  Not really looking for the exotics but just a trusty website i can download pics to be sure .  Would love to get into some good mushrooms for a stew
I'd recommend sticking with the more "foolproof" species of fungi for awhile. Morels, Chicken mushroom, Shaggy manes, Hedgehog, Black trumpets. If you haven't noticed, that list does not include Agarics which is a genus of fungi that have gills. While there are many edible Agarics like the pasture mushroom, they can be tough to correctly identify through visual aid alone. It's risky if you don't know how to test them by doing spore prints and/or lab tests.
Even the simple puffball fungi has its own risks that can be FATAL.
Check out American Mushrooms.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If you do an online search for a mushroom club you will find one near you and they usually have several outings during the year when you can have an expert ID what you find as well as being shown how and where to look for them. A key to finding mushrooms is tree ID as some mushrooms will only grow under or near certain trees.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I stick to what I know and usually add a mushroom every year or two to my pick list. Started with morels, then went to dryads saddle, then to oysters, chicken of the woods, chanterelles, boletes, and last year started picking puffballs. Found a bunch of puffballs and about 8lbs of chicken of the woods last hunting season. They were great. 

Always wanted to pick fiddleheads. I've seen a lot of them when picking ramps but never bothered to pick them up. Anyone like these?

I would love to find some fiddleheads...delicious grilled with oil
I am a mushroomed of convenience- saw a saddle...researched it. Picked it and didn’t love it. Found a huge Chicken crop and loved them and hated the puff balls. Never really SOUGHT mushrooms...they found me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever tried to cultivate their own morels? If so, where do you buy the spores? What time of year to you sow the spores? Result that year or does it take longer?

Thats gonna be tough and it might take a while. You can obtain cultures and sterile substrate, but if it were me I would inoculate large ash tree roots or mulch around the ash trees with the inoculated substrate.
Morels only fruit when and where they want. Morels are thought to be saporotrophic as well as mycorrhizal.

Looks like Mica caps. I get tons of them growing in my yard at different times of the year.

Read up on them- seems edible while mildly flavored (without alcohol for some reason). Anyone ever eat them? How did you prepare them?