Mushroom hunting

blackradio

Be careful with(smaller) puffballs too! Cut them in half and make sure they don't have gills. If they have gills they are one of the most poisonous mushrooms called the "destroying angel". Do a quick search and learn the differences.

Gem-studded puffballs are my favorite puffball. They are small and easily found & identified.

As for morels, it might still be a tad early, so keep looking (and report your findings with us! lol).

I was out this mornign scouting for birds and looking for morels.  No morels - I agree it is probably a bit early still.  I'll take the mesh bag advise for transporting them.

Never had wild leeks, but maybe I'll give them a try.

Found a massive snapping turtle and a large garden snake - always cool in spring to find the animals out and about.

• Like 1

For those of you with some successful experience, if there are ash trees, should I expect to find morels? Very frustrating searching for hours and not even know if i am looking in the right areas. At least with shed hunting you can follow well worn trails, food plots, etc.

Founds 2 morels today while I was raking leaves and pine needles next to 5 big pine trees. The first morel was about 2 inches tall and the other was about the size of a grape. Cmon grow grow grow. I'll have to get out asap and look for more now that I know they're growing but it'll be hard when they're not above the leaves yet. Next 2 weeks should be great.

you must cook morels before eating. I slice them in half, run them under water quick to remove any debris and saute them in a pan with a little olive oil and a little pad of butter. Flip them after a few minutes when the side is golden brown and hit it with some black pepper and a pinch of salt before serving. Goes awesome as a side to venison.

you must cook morels before eating. I slice them in half, run them under water quick to remove any debris and saute them in a pan with a little olive oil and a little pad of butter. Flip them after a few minutes when the side is golden brown and hit it with some black pepper and a pinch of salt before serving. Goes awesome as a side to venison.

+1

Checked my patch today and they are up! Saw about a dozen of them poking through the leaves but they were tricky to see because although they were above the leaves, some of the leaves clung to them. They were all about 2 or 3 inches too. Also found a sea of leeks in another spot I was looking for morels in. Plan on making some potato leek soup tomorrow. I'll probably pick some of the bigger morels tomorrow and let the little ones grow. I really don't think they all spouted yet because last year there were many more.