Mushroom hunting

blackradio

Cool finds. I've never studied corals enough to be sure, but maybe some day. Your next photos generally (for myself) fall into the LBM(little brown mushroom) category, which I don't mess with.

Russulas

Boletes

Honey mushrooms

Shaggy manes

and Cauliflower are a few more choice edibles that can be found.

I hope to get out sometime this week on my quest for Bi-color boletes!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. I've been out trail caming and also looking for mushrooms when I go check my cams. I've been noticing a ton of different mushrooms that I can't identify. Anyone have idea what any of these might be? Sorry that some are blurry.

post-568-0-92473600-1373420431_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-04330200-1373420559_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-95179400-1373420582_thumb.jpg

I've been finding small clusters of oysters too. Not really even enough to bother with.

If in doubt, throw it out!

I'm not sure what you have there.

Here's a few of my recent "unknown". The arrow in some of the pics is one that I lost last year and just found it.

securedownload_zps5dca60d6.jpg

umbrella2_zpse1312724.jpg

umbrella1_zpsa30a1a63.jpg

securedownload5_zps6034c94a.jpg

securedownload4_zps4e4f3666.jpg

securedownload2_zpsb1a0d927.jpg

securedownload3_zps2c1cef90.jpg

securedownload1_zps28ec795a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I found out the mushroom in the 2nd & 3rd pics are the rare Polyporus Umbellatus (AKA. umbrella polypore) and are a very choice edible. It was buggy so I didn't pick it, but they will likely emerge in the same spot for a few years!

I'm what's called a mycophagist, which is someone who eats fungi. I am still a novice and I've only been hunting them for 3-4 years. For me it's mostly about the hunt, which I often do with my older brother. We take on alot of hobbies together like mushrooms, metal detecting, bottle digging/collecting, arrowhead hunting, Etc.

Those Oyster, Maitake, Porcini, and plain field mushrooms that can be bought fresh in the grocery store can also be found growing wild in NYS along with many others that aren't available from regular stores. There are also kits that you can buy to cultivate any kind of mushroom! Yumm

Yeah it does resemble Maitake. I'm quite confident in IDing those, but this thing threw me off, besides the fact that I usually don't find Hen of The Woods until nearly the end of mushroom season(September'ish). It was in one of my chanterelle spots and was not there last year.

The Umbrella's are supposed to have a taste that resembles Maitake, but sweeter.

The day I found the Umbrella I was able to find a dozen chants, but they were all just buttons so I left them. I haven't been back out as I've been busy as well. I might go check on the chants tomorrow AM and the trumpets should be doing good too.

Most of my chanty spots are just in mixed hardwood stands on hillsides. For some reason I've noticed that they are frequently found on the edge just inside of the woods, not always though.

So I got the chance to search for mushrooms today for a few hours (and got paid for it wooooo) and I found what I am almost certain are young chanterelles, some chicken of the woods and possibly some two colored boletes although I'm not sure. The first 3 pics are of what I think are two-colored boletes. They smell awesome, like a really ripe sweet fruit. The second pic is the chicken of the woods which I am very excited about because they look awesome and I just happened upon them on the side of a quad trail. The last pic is two chanterelles I think. They smell awesome too; fruity like an apricot and I think I read that about them. Only think I was weary about is the color because they aren't yellow or orange, they are white or very slightly yellow but I read that the sun may have bleached them out. I was planning on letting them all grow and I'll check them in a few days.

post-568-0-88160000-1374539824_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-52606700-1374539840_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-61049000-1374539851_thumb.jpg

Nice Bi-color boletes and chicken! I think the last pic is of a Lactarius Vellereus (AKA fleecy milk-cap). 

Chants have decurrent gills, meaning that the gills go down the stem and fade out into the stem and they don't have true gills at all, more like ridges or wrinkles.  

Take a look at this link and check out the "1,046 mushroom photos" section.http://americanmushrooms.com/ It's a really good site and the author is local.

Once you find a chant, you'll be able to easily ID them.

Here's a description of false gills and it comes from herehttp://www.mushroomexpert.com/glossary.html

False Gills

Some Chanterelles and Trumpets feature "false gills" on the underside of the cap, and separating this feature from true gills can be confusing for beginning mushroom identifiers. I recommend buying the common Button Mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) found in grocery stores, which has true gills, and torturing a specimen or two with a toothpick or knife point; you will soon discover that true gills are individual, plate-like or blade-like things, structurally separate from one another and from the flesh of the cap and the stem. The false gills on chanterelles, by comparison, are not structurally distinct units, and represent mere folds in the mushroom's under surface. Assessing "true" or "false" gills is especially important if one wants to eat chanterelles, since the poisonous Jack O'Lantern Mushroom is a look-alike with true, rather than false, gills.

Man, you hit the nail on the head with that I.D. That definitely seems to be what I've found. Damn! But I'm excited about the Chicken OTW and the Boletes, if they are in fact Boletes. Are they supposed to have a distinctive smell? These sure smelled good. Thanks a lot Predate.