Starting food plots for 2022

Well mowed the weeds of my plots yesterday hope to spray on july 12 or 13, then drag and plant first week of august prices are high on everything seed, spray etc... so only one spray and one drag this year hope to avoid fertilizer and didnt do any lime this year

• Like 1

I'm way behind my usual pace. The price of fertilizer, gas, plus time and effort has me slacking. 

Power plant will be planted sometime next week. I'm a little late but still have high hopes from previous experiences with that particular seed blend.

• Like 1

This is my big year for plots. Last year was the first and we dabbled a bit. But then we had record amounts of rain and it washed a whole area we did out. This year we plan to do 3 small spots and one slightly larger. If it works we will most likely continue next year. If not we will just frost seed clover hard and hunt what we have with that.

The largest spot will be about 35 yards wide and about 50 yards long. Gonna be a lot of work with the equipment we have but should be interesting.
(Pic of area). 2a2f6706af60d89f40f23f4c57914098.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 4

yeah i started in 2017 doing them some years better then others always weather dependant  ,, your area seems to be on the wet side, easiest thing to plant and get results is winter rye, also i have had real good luck with WI oats really good draw early part of season and last longer in the cold then regular oats one mild year they stayed on it all threw gun season... my go to tho is big n beasty great drawing power late and they still hit it good from mid october till its gone but it shines in cold snowy weather

• Like 1

Deer seem to like winter wheat a little better than rye.  I usually plant it with white clover after September 1, then mow it the following June.   Deer come from miles around to dig thru the snow for that wheat.  Its also high on their preference list in early spring .

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 10:23 PM, land 1 said:

well  going to camp tmrw for couple days was going to spray but threats of rain so will just drag the plots and spray next  2 week or so after new weed growth starts....

You can spray as long as you have an hour or so for the herbicide to set and take place.. most are typically rainproof in 45 minutes or less. 

Im doing a brand new half acre plot. Its grasses and ragweed.. I sprayed Gly July 4th and am spraying Gly and 2-4,d today for a final spray and will seed into it and roll before the next decent rain.. 

Also think I'm going to make a 10 yrd wide 100 yard long plot not too far away.. Same thing only this will get just 1 spray application. seed then roll 

fall plots are so dependent on rain and I have several weeks in a row in August where I'm away and wont be able to plant. Making me super nervous. I'm probably going to spray roundup in the next week or so.

Also, I wouldn't advise skipping fert. Even if you didn't do a soil sample, some 10-10-10 will go a long way.

• Like 1

This is a tough year for us. We got one till (turning in some clover and corn from last year), and one spray at all of our places we plot. We may try to do one more spray this weekend at the NY farms, and then it'll be two weeks after that before we can finalize prep and plant due to vacations and being out of town.

We really did not have good luck with corn this past year - we had an amazing 2-2.5 acre plot and the corn within the immediate one-two mile radius was gone quickly in archery season, leaving our corn the only corn for miles through late season. The amount of spoil and lack of deer on the property was something never encountered before. 

We'll be turning to clover, oats, radish/turnip mix, and likely some ww...all between second week of August and Labor Day across NY and Ohio. Should be interesting. 

Gly and fertilizer are very very expensive. Thankfully we have a good supply of Cleth and 2-4DB to last a few years. Seed still seems very affordable - knock on wood, but most of the buck on bag seed prices are not more expensive than last year. I bet that hits home next year though when costs from today are built in.

Edited by phade

I bought 2 super concentrate gallons of roundup in the spring. They were like $100 each, but enough to do 2 acres twice. I was very lucky that all 3 of my spots didn't need lime and only a few hundred pounds each of 34-0-0. 

My clover/chicory is doing well and I'm planning on a half and half fall plot. Thinking beets n greens and winter greens.

https://whitetailinstitute.com/beets-greens/

https://whitetailinstitute.com/imperial-winter-greens-annual/

Edited by Belo

I am right On schedule with my food plot development going to have six plots of various sizes with various offerings I have sprayed four of them I need to spray two more which will probably happen this week in the heat.  I hope to till this weekend And Will be spraying something new in terms of a fertilizer and booster so we’ll see how it goes trying thisWill be spraying something new in terms of a fertilizer and booster so we’ll see how it goes trying this. I can’t see you doing all the work and spending the money on fuel and seed and spraying without putting in some fertilizer of some sort so hopefully this works and last for a while

97E2CCC8-0FF9-4D01-AD41-3D8B21A15219.png

• Like 1

I am right On schedule with my food plot development going to have six plots of various sizes with various offerings I have sprayed four of them I need to spray two more which will probably happen this week in the heat.  I hope to till this weekend And Will be spraying something new in terms of a fertilizer and booster so we’ll see how it goes trying thisWill be spraying something new in terms of a fertilizer and booster so we’ll see how it goes trying this. I can’t see you doing all the work and spending the money on fuel and seed and spraying without putting in some fertilizer of some sort so hopefully this works and last for a while
97E2CCC8-0FF9-4D01-AD41-3D8B21A15219.thumb.png.e7e1aec20289185fe1d7e1972ad1113d.png
your place always looks like a salad bar!    Lots of leafy green stuff to choose from i almost brought some ranch dressing with me! 
I picked up 5 bags of fertilizer in the late winter im gonna add as well to our plots and help them out a bit

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, land 1 said:

G-man that looks good wish my dirt looked like that mines closer to a gravel bed.....

Its actually a landing at top of ravine they pushed all the topsoil off the logging roads onto.  Ph is crappy lime every year...