Flying squirrel mount

wheelieman

The first thing to do is to make sure you have the right to possess one. I don't believe there is an open season on flying squirrels. I have not looked it up, so I am not going to swear to that, but I suggest that you do look it up. It may be that just like owls, hawks, and any other protected species, there is no legal way to have one in your possession. So it is possible that inquiries to any taxidermist might result in a knock on your door from a local game warden.

I don't know if this warning is a true concern, but it is just a thought that popped into my mind and I figured I would pass along that thought so you can see to it that you don't accidently get yourself in any trouble. Check it out.

If one is sitting on a branch are you going to know it is a flying squirrel if you don't even have any idea they are in area?

If you look at the pick you would know right off that its not a regular squirrel, To shoot something that you don't know what it is couldn't you accidentally kill a endangered species or maybe even a new find  a hybrid per say?

Im gonna call the local D.E.C officer today, But what if it is like red squirrel.snapping turtle, pigeons, woodchucks, where there is no season but you can still have them,

That may be the case. I really don't know. I am just saying be safe and check. It's so darn easy to break laws and get into trouble these days without even knowing it. By the way, let us know what they say. It would be interesting.

Looks like they are a Unprotected Species

ECL 11-0523 gives any New York State resident the right to capture:
UNPROTECTED SPECIES, including
Mammals:
woodchuck, porcupine, eastern chipmunk, red squirrel, flying squirrels, moles, voles, mice, shrews, bats (except the Indiana bat), and rats (except the Allegheny woodrat)
Birds:
house sparrow, European starling, pigeon
Reptiles:
most snakes found in New York (except queen snake and rattlesnakes) and most turtles (except mud turtle; box turtles; bog turtle; Blanding's turtle; wood turtle, diamond-back terrapin; and sea turtles)
And in CERTAIN SITUATIONS, some protected species including
Mammals:
bears (damaging livestock or apiaries); skunks; raccoons; coyotes; foxes; black, gray, and fox squirrels; opossums; weasels; varying hares, cottontail rabbits, and European hares.
Birds:
red-winged blackbirds, crows, common grackles, and cowbirds (damaging crops in June through October).

• Like 1

It does look different,hair looks longer. Is it same size as a red or bigger?

They are smaller than a red squirrel...Closer to a chipmunk.. Ain't much MEAT on one...

They are neither uncommon nor rare, but are seldom seen because they are nocturnal..I had a co-worker who had a bird feeder in his backyard in a wooded area. He would illuminate it at night and often see flying squirrels eating the bird seed..One night  he saw a flying squirrel glide over and land on the side of a tree, and an owl came sailing in and pinned it to the tree...End of  Rocky.. Poor Bullwinkle must have been crushed to lose his little buddy.

Edited by Pygmy

I am sure it has to be something to see one gliding.

Yes, it is very cool...

I remember one time in my misspent  youth, when I spent many days prowling the woods near my home with my .22..

I found a dead tree with many hollows in it..I found a rugged stick and started hammering on it, because  sometimes I had done this and had a grey squirrel pop out of a hollow tree cavity, and then I would POP the grey squirrel with my .22..

This time, 2 or 3 flying squirrels came sailing out... Unique experience...