2010 Deer Harvest Thread - Post your Pics and Success Stories!

WNYBuckHunter

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2nd deer for this year - 4pnt. buck on the new lease with the PSE. Not a huge 4 but I wanted a tender deer and this guy was 1-3 sided, figgured get him out of the pool. Sorry about the fuzzy picture - you can still make out the fletching as he took the arrow with him. 32 yard shot, decent blood trail - he went about 50-60 yards. Broadhead cut through lungs, liver was sliced, and it broke into the bottom cage on the opposite site and stuck there.

post-3-131455350355_thumb.jpg

Slugger09; Good hunting! how about some details?  :) 

At around 8:00 in the morning I saw a black object for about 2 seconds.  He went behind a brush of trees so I couldnt see what it was.  Then he popped out of the brush heading right toward my stand.  He peeked up at me, then looked back down, I drew down of him, he peeked up again, looked back down and then I shot.  The arrow hit right by his neck area and he took off running.  I radioed to my father in law that I shot a bear.  I waited about 45 min then it started drizzling so I told him to come over to follow the trail before it dissapeared.  5 minutes later he radios over that while walking to my stand the bear was right by him.  The bear hot wind of him a barely able to walk he started moving away.  My father in law took a quick shot with the bow and put the arrow right through his ear lobe, and the arrow stayed in looking like an earring.  The bear was pretty much done by then so he went another 10 yards and died. 

I'm thinking that I'm going to get it mounted with the arrow in the ear. 

Heres a buck I took on opening day, I took pictures with a disposable camera so it will have to wait until I can post pictures of him, but here is a recent picture of him from the trail cam. He is a very tall 3 pointer field dressed @ 120 lbs. Took him just before dark, I was setup a couple hundred yards off my food plots, he had come in with another buck (a spike). I had heard them staging up under the pine trees for a good 15 minutes before they came into the stand of apple trees I was setup over. The rage 2 broadhead lived up to all the hype, the arrow broke through his front shoulder and was lodged in his opposite shoulder. The shot took out his shoulder and his lung. I found 3/4 of the arrow on the ground with blood on it and the other 1/4 of arrow was recovered in the deer and suprisingly was fully intact with only a slight kink in one of the blades. It was dark after I waited awhile and gathered everything so I decided to let him go over night. My dad and I found him about 100 yards away, he went down into a ditch and crossed the stream on my property. The blood trail was excellent as well. 

post-18-131455357849_thumb.jpg

:(  If I manage a good buck with my reg tag then next year's early season is out - well maybe I could trade some time there for some good spring Turkey hunting eleswhere.

NYBowhunter; I'm not a big fan of tracking at night either! Good recovery, glad the coyotes didn't find him 1st.

:(  If I manage a good buck with my reg tag then next year's early season is out - well maybe I could trade some time there for some good spring Turkey hunting eleswhere.

NYBowhunter; I'm not a big fan of tracking at night either! Good recovery, glad the coyotes didn't find him 1st.

Fantail congrats on your booming success thus far.

Thanks, I was up all night thinking that I would find my buck all eaten up, there are coyotes and fox all over and I was fortunate to find him intact.

132 eight pointer; Nice shot! What broadhead did you use?

Thank you. I used an inexpensive 100 grain three blade expandable . I bought them several years ago and it was the last one I had of that brand so honestly I don't even remember.It went through both sides like a skewer,destroyed one lung and nicked the heart.Great blood trail made tracking fairly easy.