2010 Deer Harvest Thread - Post your Pics and Success Stories!

WNYBuckHunter

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man the best season ever ::) ::) . Seen a few scrubs here and there. As far as seeing deer,well it pretty much has sucked! The worst season I've ever had. Must be too many mt.lions and coyotes. Got a doe on thanksgiving.

IMG_0936.jpg

That deer still alive in the photo?

Why does this deer look alive to some of you??  And what about the eyes that is making it look alive??  Deer don't die with their eyes closed as many humans don't either.  I sure don't get the impression that it's alive.  I have had deer fall down in all sorts of ways.  I think this one just fell down in a position that might make it look like it wants to get up, that's all.  I have even seen alive ones that looked dead.  The deer I killed with the bow this year was alive when I walked up to it, but immobile.  Actually took a photo of it while it was still alive, but won't post it here. 

Well I finally got it done.

I had to take the long route to the stand I was going to hunt because there were so many does in the field along the trail I normally take. I made it in and didn't bump any that I knew of. It was a beautiful morning to sit...very light breeze in my face...field at my back and over looking a creek bottom that is often used as a travel corridor. the opposite hill across teh creek is heavily covered with saplings and very thick.

No movement until 10 am when an eight pointer came walking left to right up the creek. His rack was just at the ears with times about 5 inches long. I had passed him during archery but I have had a very slow season with nothing on the ground yet. He would be coming out of the thicket in the bottom at about 50 yards and that is a chip shot with the ML. I was having the shoot him...no wait....argument in my head and was really paying attention to him movements. He was 5 steps from hitting the opening and I was going to have to decide quickly. I noticed he kept stopping and looking up over his left shoulder...up the hill into the sapling covered hill. ...step....look back. step....look back.

since we had 100% snow cover I picked up movemnt at the top of the sapling hill. 3 deer came trotting left to right with another following behind. they turned and headed into the creek bottom and I thought they would be crossing and coming into the field behind me. This would drag the 8 out of the cover he was in. When they hit the creek bottom the 8 bolted towards them and they ras into thick cover as far to the right as I can see. I could see them moving but there was no shots. I went form very excited to "I can't believe this happened" in seconds.

I heard a loud low grunt on top of the hill and a deer came trotting down. I pulled up and this must have been the 4th deer that was trailing the other 3. I cranked up my scope to 9 and could see rack coming down the hill. Since I hunt ofter from this stand I knew the only shot I would have if he trailed the 3 does and the 8 was at the creek at 140 yards.  I cocked the encore and steadied into the opening and he cam in at a quartering away. click....bang....big poof of white smoke and I can't see anything.

I reach for my speed loaders and there is a buck running right to laeft right domn the creek bottom. I get loaded ...he stops....it isn't the buck I shot at. It was the original 8. Where is MY buck. I see movemnt where I shot and the buck is trying to get up. Shot number two on him and I can't tell if I hit him....he jumps up on his feet and my heart sinks. He trotts up the hill and heads towards a golden rod field. by the time I am reloaded he is out of sight.

I regroup and get out of the stand. I call my buddiy and tell him to go out and get the wheeler....I still think I got a good hit on him and we will need it for recovery.

The blood trail is great and I am looking at blood 50-75 feet ahead of me ...not at my feet.

across the golden rod field....into the connecting hardwods...into the flooded timber. Now I am getting worried. I tell my buddy where to meet me and we meet up. I am very nervous because now we are near property that is heavily hunted and I am betting someone will end up shooting this deer. Plus we are coming up to a road and if he crosses...he is lost. It is very hard to make a quiet track and I am worried about bumping the deer...that darn sqeaky packy snow.

about 200 yards and there is very heavy blow down and I do not see any blood out in front or any side of it. 

"he has to be in there"

I slowly approach and just as I see the tips of the tines he bolts from the bed.

I was ready and put him down just as he hit his feet.

My buddy went for the wheeler and I may have just hurt my effort to get him to wait on bigger deer. the two of us had all we could do to lift this guy on the back rack. After a few pics of course. He is convinced now it is much easier to shoot small deer....both our backs are killing us today...lol

He got a nice 1-1/2 YO seven in the afternoon and I still did not get to fill a doe tag. I hae included a pic of the two together....9 point----broke of a G1...19 inch inside spread.....scaled at 185 pounds dressed.

Oh...as a not...either I jerked the trigger or he hesitated. the first shot was top of shoulder and into the neck. When I put my finger in the hole I could feel the neck bones. 1/2 inch lower he would not have moved. the second shot was a bit back but hit the liver.

I couldn't be happier. I think this is also one of the deer we had on the trail cams in August.

post-203-131455389782_thumb.jpg

post-203-131455389792_thumb.jpg

post-203-131455389811_thumb.jpg

Holy Jesus, what a deer Culver!!  You darn sure did get it done!  Couldn't be happier for you!  Congratulations!

Calling all AR supporters, and you boys know who you are.  Try topping that one!!  Just think Culver doesn't even support AR's and got one that you boys have wet dreams over.  LOL

Holy Jesus, what a deer Culver!!  You darn sure did get it done!  Couldn't be happier for you!  Congratulations!

Calling all AR supporters, and you boys know who you are.  Try topping that one!!  Just think Culver doesn't even support AR's and got one that you boys have wet dreams over.  LOL

I have always said hunters choice Steve....to be honest....glad that first smaller 8 made my mind up for me or I might not have gotten that buck...

My wife is FIRMLY against taking of big bucks....BUt that has more to do with the Taxidermy bills I think....lol. Headed there after work with the rack and cape

HAHAH thats pretty funny!!!

HAHAH thats pretty funny!!!

Glad you thought it was humorous.  If one of those boys ever saw a buck like that they would become completely unglued and would probably miss it by a country mile.  Only the person doing their laundry would know the real truth of what actually happened.  LOL