Shooting a "gimme"

Doc

What if a buck that you considered to be a trophy was grazing on your lawn during season. And let's assume you lived out in the country where you could legally shoot. Would you slide open a window and shoot it?

I would personally. Everyone has their own views on what a trophy is and the circumstances around it. As long as its legal, its all the same. Sure it would be awesome if I was able to arrow that buck on highly pressured state land, but in the end of the day beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've shot plenty of deer in a very easy setting and have enjoyed every second of it

Probably not. lol.

I have had lots of does and small bucks in the back yard(in the middle of the woods) that I threatened to shoot during  those years that deer were hard to come by. I havn't yet , so I don't think I would.. But ,I never say never . ;)

19 minutes ago, airedale said:

Would not be a heck of a lot different from the so called stand-blinds some hunt out of equipped with all the comforts of home.

Al 

I think some here go by the square footage .
As to the question , yes . If he’s stupid enough to temp fate , it’s time to remove him from the gene pool . 
If the neighbors wouldn’t blow me in ,I’d shoot them here !

E084D87A-D56F-4D09-A18D-84A6B612DA19.jpeg

6F3166C1-87C2-4E6F-AB01-887ADF37708F.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 3

Buck probably not maybe if I had a deer camp be a funny story. For doe the other hand I have a doe that gives my garden until September 1st to grow then eats everything.  So she keeps it up into October this year I will have a very short drag.

going to get those vegetables back one way or another.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Yes I did it once from our bedroom window and I would do it again without hesitation.  You still need to put on a back tag and obey all the game laws (minimum of 500 ft from building without permission etc.).  Mine was a bb on the last day of late ML season, and in full accordance with all NY state game laws.  Those are the best “trophy” of all, on the table and as far as my wife is concerned.  It was the only time that she was able to thank me in the same spot where I made the kill.  That’s what I call a win win deal.  

Edited by wolc123

Yes I did it once from our bedroom window and I would do it again without hesitation.  You still need to put on a back tag and obey all the game laws (minimum of 500 ft from building without permission etc.).  Mine was a bb on the last day of late ML season, and in full accordance with all NY state game laws.  Those are the best “trophy” of all, on the table and as far as my wife is concerned.  It was the only time that she was able to thank me in the same spot where I made the kill.  That’s what I call a win win deal.  

You put on a back tag?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You put on a back tag?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, it was easy because it was on my jacket, which I put on as soon as I got home from work, and put a primer on my ML, with about 10 minutes of legal light remaining.  It was December and quite cold out, after I opened the window and started scanning the standing corn in the field behind our house.

I watched the deer stand up in the corn, and make his way to the edge, where I had turnips planted.  With about 3 minutes of daylight left, I dropped him in that little turnip  plot (about 100 yards out back) with my T/C Omega.

i put on my boots, went back with my loader tractor and tagged and gutted him, then hung him in the garage and butchered him the following week. I thought it was a doe, but I was not too heart-broken that it turned out to be a button buck.   I had a dmp tag, it was the last day, we needed meat, and that was the only deer that I saw.  

With just 10 minutes, I didn’t have time for a full-blown hunt, so the bedroom window was the best I could do.  I had the same plot rotation again last year, and tried that once or twice, but didn’t see anything.

You can’t skip any of the rules,  no matter how big and fancy your blind is.   I have probably killed a dozen woodchucks from that same window, and I may not have had the back tag on for all of them.  I also got a coyote, a red fox, several coons, and a dozen or so crows, from that window.  I pile deer, and other carcasses back there, and that pile attracts plenty of visitors.   

I will have a better view from that window, now that the old barn is down.  No time to make fancy food plots back there this year,  but I will try to set it up good next year.  Maybe I can squeeze in a little turnip plot back there yet this year, and leave some of my late sweetcorn standing.  I did not plant any fieldcorn in that field this year, and that is the real key to holding deer during the late ML season.  

This velvet 3.1 yr old buck would have been a 50 yard chip shot from that window, on June 21, when I was setting up our pool in the back yard:

8294E8DB-F6B9-4FB1-8F50-68684457385A.thumb.jpeg.df550de8e418b09e72f35514fcc8c3e4.jpeg

He was on the near bank of the creek.  I pile the carcasses right behind him, on the opposite bank.  The button buck stood about 50 yards behind him and a little to the right.  

• Like 2

Thats one of only 3 rules at camp. No shooting anything on lawn.. 

Now if it was off the lawn in woods . Or one could slip out back or side door and get ahead of it into woods and wait.. different story.

Rule came about in 2008 after a flock of fall birds showed up eating clover during lunch and 7 guys loaded up snuck out side door and waited as they walked by at 25 yards and opened fire at once.. everyone got a bird but the feathers and carnage were to much for me to see on side yard.. so no shooting anything on lawn... 

• Like 1