Shooting a "gimme"

Doc

15 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I'l throw it out there;  Is the qustion Doc posed ethical hunting?

I don't see why not. Everybody gets something different out of hunting.. Wether someone chooses to one way or the other is up to them.  I've thought at different times maybe I would pop one of my backyard does. Wouldn't be hunting for me, just a short trip to the grocery..

Nope. If they are in the yard, they are visitors. Similarly, when we were in Africa doing some driving around scouting, animals look at vehicles very innocently. Several times we had very shootable kudu, nyala and antelope in gimme positions. I think the guide was kind of sizing me up....I just told my wife (who was tagging along) "not what we do". 

• Like 1

My dream is to have about 100 acres of land in the NZ with no close neighbors. During season and I had a tag? Yup, I'd drop one from the back porch. Not from in the house or from a window, but off the porch, yes.

Edited by DirtTime
spelling

Over the years, I have had some pretty impressive deer wander into the yard and start grazing during the open season, and I have always refused to shoot them. I guess it does violate some idea of what hunting is to me. It feels like taking advantage of conditioned animals. Almost like shooting pets.......lol. But I always wondered if I was being dumb. Sometimes these incidents happen during seasons that have not really been all that exciting. I do feel a little silly giving deer a pass just because they happen to use my lawn to feed on.

But then too, I have to wonder if I had a "food plot", would the situation really be any different. I was just curious what the attitude of others is. 

Over the years, I have had some pretty impressive deer wander into the yard and start grazing during the open season, and I have always refused to shoot them. I guess it does violate some idea of what hunting is to me. It feels like taking advantage of conditioned animals. Almost like shooting pets.......lol. But I always wondered if I was being dumb. Sometimes these incidents happen during seasons that have not really been all that exciting. I do feel a little silly giving deer a pass just because they happen to use my lawn to feed on.
But then too, I have to wonder if I had a "food plot", would the situation really be any different. I was just curious what the attitude of others is. 

Choot ‘em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/4/2022 at 8:49 AM, Pygmy said:

I once shot an elephant in my pajamas.........

On 7/4/2022 at 9:23 AM, fasteddie said:

How did the elephant get into your pajamas ???

He'll never know.

After a frustrating season, I walked out my front door on the last day of ML to find a big doe standing 20' away. She froze and I raised the gun, centred it, then lowered. Wasn't the experience I wanted. 

Kicked myself all day but ultimately came to terms with it.

• Like 2

In the yard seems like a hard no. Have taken plenty of deer and even good bucks from stand and sit positions within view of a home (that I do not own). 

Doesn't seem like a big area of conflict for me to really consider. If someone does and is legal, that is fine by me. I might think less of someone's accomplishment who saw the deer, ran out back and shot a 150" with the rifle vs a 150" shot on pressured public, but in the end, it doesn't matter what I think. 

53 minutes ago, left field said:

He'll never know.

After a frustrating season, I walked out my front door on the last day of ML to find a big doe standing 20' away. She froze and I raised the gun, centred it, then lowered. Wasn't the experience I wanted. 

Kicked myself all day but ultimately came to terms with it.

Im shooting 100/100. It may not be the experience I wanted but its the backstraps I wanted

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Im shooting 100/100. It may not be the experience I wanted but its the backstraps I wanted

Trust me, it all went through my mind for days after. The silly thing is, the same doe 100 yards into the woods at my stand, no hesitation. 

Oh well.

I hunt and kill deer from stands less than 50 yards from the lawn but the lawn has always been off limits for the 20 years I have been here. I could shoot one in the yard and be 100% legal out here. If I saw one I wanted I would grab my gear and try to slip out and try to get in front of it back in the woods. 

So there is a related question that comes to mind. Those that would not shoot a trophy in your lawn, does that thought change at all if we are talking about a food plot? Any problem with shooting a deer that has been lured to a food plot?

• Like 1

If you have to slide open a window to shoot it…… that’s not hunting , that’s shooting. At least sneak outside to shoot it. It might make you feel a little better about it. 

Do you just shoot through the windows of shooting towers? Gets expensive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk