Bucks losing antlers

fasteddie

I have seen bucks that still had thier antlers in March several times over the years.

It seems like nearly every spring I talk to someone who has seen one or two, even into April....Just this morning at coffee a couple of fellows in the next booth were talking about seeing bucks with antlers in the last couple of days.

earliest i've seen drop is dec 24th 

A friend killed a buck on opening day in PA. (Tioga County) years ago and when he walked up to it both horns were off it and laying right there!

About ten years ago I killed a nice little 8pt on the second last day of gun season in Canadice (Ontario County) and it was 6* above zero.  When he hit the ground he thrashed around for a few seconds before expiring and knocked off one side.  I grabbed the horn and started dragging.  Half way to the truck the other side popped off.  Damn the luck.............

i have seen them on till april 15th before. earliest i've seen drop is dec 24th 

Two years ago on the last day of ML season I was looking for a doe I hit, Walked up on a deer and it wouldn't get up, figured it was the one and shot it right between the eyes. Went to gut it and found the funniest looking nipple on it.

It was a pretty good size buck that had already lost both antlers.

Never found the doe, she ran on to posted property. :-(

One buck I have 3yrs of antlers from seems to traditionaly drop early.

In 2010 I found his left side on Feb 19'th.

In 2011 I scooped up his set on Jan 8'th.

This year his 2012 set I found on Dec 12'th.

No telling how long his '10 and '11 antlers could have been laying there before I got to them.

The latest I've personaly seen a buck still packing both sides around here is March 17'th. Last year was March 15'th.

Wooly,

I'm not quite sure why more hunters don't know this, but there have been quite a few studies of pen and large area high fence (ie Texas) deer that show once a buck hits, I believe 3.5, he will shed roughly around the same time of the calendar year within 3-5 days each year. Obviously, the difference between wild and pen deer abound, but interestingly, the bucks in the study shed variously when under that time frame (ie 1.5 or 2.5). I think that variation gives credit to the likeliehood it happens in the wild, because younger and senior deer are susceptible to stress quicker/earlier.

I'm not a firm 100% believer of CA's theories, but he has published a few articles on in it D&DH over the years I believe. I think this one holds water in the wild to some degree. I believe one of the "studies" CA did was on a NY property that was expansive, free ranging with good food and cover, but zero hunting and he was able to observe deer daily to note drops. Same property where he watched a mature-in-the-prime buck die from rut stress.  

I will never forget one st pattys day about 20 yrs ago there were 2 giant bucks chasing a doe and all over her alongside the taconic state parkway.  As a got by them I slowed down and then they chased her right across the parkway.  I could not believe my eyes.............