Full Body Harness Next State Mandate

Mr VJP

Heads up guys.  The next target for a state mandated hunting requirement is the full body harness when hunting from an elevated stand.  Not just in NY but a lot of other states as well.

Anyone think the states will stop there when that becomes a law too?

There's also interest in forcing lead free ammo on us.  These things are not far up on the mandate agenda, but they are in the hopper.  Without a lot of negative feedback from hunters these things will just keep coming.

How the heck did our parents and grandparents ever survive a single hunting season?

:D

I wear a Hunter Safety System when in a treestand but certainly don't believe that it should be mandated . No doubt many of the lawmakers are not hunters and probably won't read a bill if proposed . They would just vote blindly like they did on the Health Care Bill ......alt=my sidehttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/2cents.gif[/img]

At work we have a requirement that any time you are climbing more than 6 feet above the ground you must have a full body harness and continuous protection or if on a ladder must maintain three- point contact at all times.  I have a hunting partner who fell from his stand and ended up with a broken back, broken ribs and a punctured lung.  This happened about 10 years ago and though healed, the problems have come back to cause him significant pain.  I know others who have fallen and been injured as well.  All of my family now attaches their harness to the ladder or tree at the ground and by using dual connecting devices is connected all the way up and down, climbing into and out of the stand and while up there.  It's just so easy to have an accident it doesn't make sense not to wear a harness and be protected 100% of the time.  Do I think the state has to mandate that we wear them full time - NO.  Just my opinion.

Anyone not wearing on is a fool lacking a shred of common sense.

But do we need anymore laws attempting to legislate common sense?

NO!

But anyone not wearing one and falling should be 100% responsible for all costs resulting from

their reckless action.

we dont need a law for either. next it will be if you climb up a ladder at your house to get on the roof, you better be harnessed in.  The mandates work toward one final goal, banning hunting after numbers go down far enough as people get mandated  and priced right out of hunting.  Less numbrs, less of a say and we will not matter.

The thing that gets me PO'ed is these are initiated by special interest lobby groups that have no vested interest in hunting.

The safety harness proposal was promoted by the TMA (Treestand Mfg'ers Assoc.) and from what I could find funded by the mfg'ers.

Regardless of how much they say it is good for the hunters, it's strictly a liability mandate and unenforceable.

If the law requires you to wear one, you don't wear it and you get hurt - don't bother with any legal actions.

Don't know what's wrong with the way it is now?

Most, if not all treestands come with one when purchased.

If you want to use it, intelligent choice.

If you have no regard for your safety or the well being of your family - Darwin's natural selection will prevail.

Don't tell me I HAVE to! God knows they have no way to enforce it if it becomes a law!!

We've all read the horror stories of members having accidents while not wearing a harness. If that doesn't hit home, no law will!!

The lead free shot restriction mandate, with out a doubt was initiated by environmental lobby groups.

Every one knows where their interests lie and it's not about hunting.

Just helped a hunter down on Saturday who was in a climbing tree stand and his base dropped to the bottom of the tree. He was wearing a full body harness and walked away without a scratch. He was hanging there for about an hour.

Do I think they should mandate? NO

Should a hunter pay out of pocket (even if he has medical insurance)? YES

It is common sense.

Not to get too far off the topic, but there are several videos on youtube dealing with recovering from a treestand accident.

Some are plain stupidity, dumb and jackass antics, but a few have excellent ideas.

Be worth your time to see them, just in case.

One mentioned having a couple of screw-in steps to take the weight off your legs being suspended.

I didn't know that and now have two in my HSS vest.

That's right.  Pretty soon the government will mandate condom use to prevent STD's, except with the proper permits and background checks to allow one to have a kid.

8)

There will be a line of people from here to California for all of the new inspector positions the law will create!  Who say Obama can't create new jobs in the US!

;)

PDF]  Volume 107, No. 1 - Wisconsin Medical Journal 107no1  File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat

by MA Halanski - 2008 - Cited by 1 - Related articles

Georgia, a state that mandates the reporting of all hunt- ... treestand injuries. The issue of safety harness use is an evolving topic. ...

www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.org/_WMS/publications/wmj/.../Halanski.pdf

That's right.  Pretty soon the government will mandate condom use to prevent STD's, except with the proper permits and background checks to allow one to have a kid.

8)

There will be a line of people from here to California for all of the new inspector positions the law will create!  Who say Obama can't create new jobs in the US!

;)

I reckon they would call him the pecker inspector?

Just helped a hunter down on Saturday who was in a climbing tree stand and his base dropped to the bottom of the tree. He was wearing a full body harness and walked away without a scratch. He was hanging there for about an hour.

Do I think they should mandate? NO

Should a hunter pay out of pocket (even if he has medical insurance)? YES

It is common sense.

so if a driver in a car gets hur twhen he is not wearing a seatbelt or texting should he have to pay also?  Next thing will be treestand insurance

And back in the old days, noone had a ladder stand. People hunted from the ground under a tree.  If you fall down when you are on the ground, it isnt so bad.  But then again, they did not have a cell phone gps 2 way radio fancy camo or blaze orange and ballistic tip bullets.  Funny part they were as successful and safe.