The Birds are out...

Rev Ev

I pulled over last night to watch about 30 turkeys in a field.  I got out my spotting scope and saw 7 toms strutting away.  Some very nice birds in this flock, but I know I can't hunt the land, already asked.  Farmer is afraid I might shoot a cow, seriously.  Still, it was really cool to see them showing off.  

• 2 weeks later...

There's a flock of around fifty that come out in my neighbor's field every night. I'm gonna try calling a few mornings to see if I can get them around in the morning and onto my property. <br /><br />Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

Well since I sighted that flock I have yet to see any other turkeys.  I would imagine they are breaking up into smaller groups, but maybe they are staying together because of the colder weather.  If they are, they should be easier to spot.  Which they are not.  I don't have any fresh sign on any of the half dozen farms I hunt.  I'll be going out this weekend again to see what there is to see.

I've gotten that excuse too.. I don't want you to shoot my livestock. Honestly if I can't tell the difference between a fat angus and a thunder chicken I shouldn't be in the woods. But sadly there's people who can't, which hurts the rest of us... On to the next piece!

I've gotten that excuse too.. I don't want you to shoot my livestock. Honestly if I can't tell the difference between a fat angus and a thunder chicken I shouldn't be in the woods. But sadly there's people who can't, which hurts the rest of us... On to the next piece!

I finally got permission from a vegetable farmer to hunt waterfowl on his land after I told and showed him that tmy shot was non toxic.  I was also shooting up and not straight at his cabbage.  He was afraid that lead pellets would get into his vegetables or somehow up through the roots.  

I had to pull over the other night on my way home from work to take a picture of this flock of turkeys...Sorry the picture isn't better but they were 300 yards from the road and I took it with my phone...There were more birds off to the left that I couldn't get in the picture!!...I sure wish I could hunt this place!!!

528213_10151393964011242_1287311452_n.jp

• Like 1

I work on a street sort of downtown but near highland park. This morning a fellow hunter runs in to my office and says "look outside" i fear some security issue but i turn to see a big tom strutting down the road. We get deer in the back quite often, but this guy had gone out of his way to cross the parking lot and reach the road. Bright red head too.

i'll probably never get that close in the woods haha.

Saw a huge flock on way to work like this today....not broken up yet is a good thing i think!

I'm thinking it is, that maybe all of May will be a strutting show.  Last year I didn't see or hear anything the last 2 weeks.  But if things continue to be pushed later into the year, it might mean poor hatching/winter retention.  I'm not a biologist, but just my thoughts.

Was fortunate to hunt out in California this year.  My cousin lives out there, and we have been there 3 out of the past 4 years.  Seen hundreds of turkeys, and thousands of gobbles.  We shot five total, Rio grandes.  Wouldn't think California is a great spot for turkey hunting, but I highly recommend it. So many Birds!!

As for out here, yea there around, but numbers still seem to be down.

Till this past weekend I was seeing flocks all over the place anywhere from 20-50 birds at a time. Many of them were toms. I checked my trail cams also... figured knowing my luck I wouldn't have a thing but to my surprise I have some real nice toms on my cams as well. I'm headed back up this weekend...hope to see more. More importantly hope to see them May 1st.

The flocks are finally breaking up around here...Driving home lastnight I saw 5 different small flocks in areas I haven't seen any turkeys all winter...Just about a 1/4 mile from my house I had to stop for 2 jakes and 6 hens standing in the road!