Feeding deer ....

Joeambro25

I just heard this also but couldn't find solid evidence stating this just that an individual was caught and the case was dismissed stating dec regs are vague. Couldn't find where they are exempt from feeding or supplemental in that county. I asked other mods also but waiting to see what they say

This guy also had a lawyer take the case probono to stick it to the court. If I remember correctly I think the lawyer was his neighbor.  Any one of us could get out of these charges if you pay a lawyer 800 dollars or more but why do that when your only facing a 200 dollar fine.............

Alls a lawyer has to say is prove that he was intentionally feeding deer.  Unless you are hunting over feed it is very hard to bust someone for just throwing out apples or corn........

Does anyone have factual evidence that you can feed deer in that county? I am very curious if the court system banned the DEC's law on feeding deer... I mean it's still illegal in NY so I don't think anyone is going to actually try it, get caught and fight it. It would be nice if someone actually knew the answer here.

I did hear somewhere (could have been NYS Outdor News), that the DEC was going soft on the enforcement of that law until they finished revising the law for clarity. They didn't want to provide anymore counties with more of these test cases until the law was cleaned up a bit.

It occurs to me allot of states that allow feeders also have wild boar issues & crop damage. If people were flat out allowed to use feeders how many would actually bother to use the right supplement for cold weather metabolism? Not many I suspect since you can walk into a walmart or gander and buy the equipment, and sometimes the dry bags to fill them. You know, right next to the molasses & gallon jug attractants - right near the little sign that says it's all illegal. If your at gander, try not to trip over the pallet of salt blocks. 

I did hear somewhere (could have been NYS Outdor News), that the DEC was going soft on the enforcement of that law until they finished revising the law for clarity. They didn't want to provide anymore counties with more of these test cases until the law was cleaned up a bit.

Yes, you'd really need to be obnoxious or mean to the officer to get a ticket punched at this point.

I can't give you proof other than that article, but I have "heard" that they are laying low on writing the tickets at the moment. I seriously doubt you would get pinched for feeding deer.

There is an effort to re-word the law to make it more concrete. Until then, it's pretty soft on enforcement.

Edited by phade

I called law enforcement division a few minutes ago and you are allowed to feed deer for the now in Sullivan and supposedly all the other counties until they amend the law to make it clearer, If any doubt remains in your mind call #845-256-3013 unit 3 dec...This should clear this up . There are exceptions such as during deer season ,100feet from a road etc....

I called law enforcement division a few minutes ago and you are allowed to feed deer for the now in Sullivan and supposedly all the other counties until they amend the law to make it clearer, If any doubt remains in your mind call #845-256-3013 unit 3 dec...This should clear this up . There are exceptions such as during deer season ,100feet from a road etc....

very strange... i know some of the regulations are vague, i never would have  there would be any exceptions to feeding deer.