9mm Target Loads

Would 9mm target loads be of much value in a self defense situation (aka. the $hit hits the fan)? I have 1,000+ rounds that I bought when I first got my 9mm, but I don't shoot it no where near as much as I was thinking I would. Not sure if I should hang onto them, as they're better than nothing, or sell them and invest in some more appropriate ammo (hollow points/personal protection). OK, providing I can get my hands on any...

These are the ones that I have for target shooting.

Q4172.jpg

I suppose they would have self defense value..

Over the last century  many very effective military and police weapons ( like the German MP 38/40, the British Sten, and many, many others, including dozens of handgun models like the Luger and the browning Hi-Power) 

have accounted for untold 1000s of casualties using ammo similar to that..

From a self defense instructor, and certified NRA gun safety instructor:

"A target round will have little or no expansion upon hitting a person, and will tend to just pass straight through, causing the least amount of damage. A defense round will (usually) expand upon entering the target, which slows it down faster and creates a larger wound, the goal being to cause a drop in blood pressure as quickly as possible so as to incapacitate the attacker."

Lets see,..Do I want a perfect 9mm hole through me or an expanded slug in me...? 

Asked a different way...."Let's see...Do I want to punch a number of 9mm holes in my attacker...or, just stick my finger in his eye?"

Better YET, take Joe Biden's advice and step out on your balcony ( everyone has one of those) with your double barrel shotgun and unload both barrels in the air..

THAT will scare those rascals away..!!...

A good hollow point would be better, but  hard ball target ammo would be effective, especially with well placed shots. I would hold on to it and if thats all you have for defense loads use them until you can score a box of hollow points. Or should I say ..IF you can score a box of hollow points.

That's what I was asking... how effective. Target loads sure as hell aren't my first choice, but it's good to know they aren't useless either! I keep hollowpoints loaded in the magazine, but if I run out of hollowpoints, and I only have target loads, then I'll let the bullets fly. Even if it just puts a hole(s) in someone. Holes in the heart, lungs, or head will do the trick, just not as quick as a hollow point. Anywhere else would certainly hurt, cause blood loss, and slow them down anyway! I have so many target loads (1,000+), so it's good to know that I can use them for back up, if needed. Just might need a couple extra holes... 

I plan on stocking up on some hollowpoints, when I can come across some more.

Geez, they put zombies down all the time on "The Walking Dead" using a crossbow with just a field point through the head, so I'm thinking a 9mm target load should do the trick!  :biggrin:  

Edited by Cabin Fever

Not my first choice but better than a stick.  Probably would try to avoid using them in the house or anywhere else that penetration could be an issue.

Pretty sure that is something I wouldn't be thinking about "in the moment", more likely after the intruder was down. If it were me, I'd be emptying the 10 7 shot magazine up to & including "point blank" range.

Haven't heard anyone offering a trade!

Edited by nyslowhand