I thought I was done...

But the deer and turkey came in and ate every bean off the soy plants....so I mowed it down will rake...when rain ever stops and hopefully that will be soon...I'll get the 50#'s of winter rye planted in a few days...so I'll have winter rye on either side of the turnips...and perhaps down on the lower section as well...keep them in the center as best I can........ :)

Well being so high up are frosts are a tad later...but the problem I have is getting it to dry enough to till it up and get it in...also just 12 days to opener...I'm under the gun...good thing is it's a well draining area on a slope....Rye comes up almost over night

Well being so high up are frosts are a tad later...but the problem I have is getting it to dry enough to till it up and get it in...also just 12 days to opener...I'm under the gun...good thing is it's a well draining area on a slope....Rye comes up almost over night

I don't think you need to till it in. Farmers just broadcast rye seed into cut cornfields or soybean fields and it grows fine.

I planted my rye/ww/oats plot on Sept.19th (16 days ago). It's up, ~4" tall, and green. Blades are thin and it hasn't filled in/thickened up yet. I am starting to worry that it may not get enough growth by season to amount to much. We've been getting crazy amounts of rain! If we had more sun, I think the rye would get a growth spurt and thicken up. I am comtemplating throwing some nitrogen to it. It'll provide some food for this fall/winter though. Plus, it'll be the first to green up in the spring and provide some much needed nutrition for the deer and turkey then.

Yes..I left the house at 7am yesterday and it was raining ....got home still ..walked dogs at 11pm ..still ....well it's still raining 24 hrs later :( ...it's too wet to even muck out the barns....I'd have ruts every where...looks like my house is getting a good cleaning before season opener ;) ....the groung has been so saturated this year....I'm not sure I'd feel safe in my climber...no matter what tree I chose  ???

I had some high nitrogen fertilizer laying around in my way for the past year or so. Figured I'd just roll the dice and broadcast it on the ww/wr/oats plots. I was out in the rain yesterday afternoon doing that! I hope it helps give it a growth spurt when/IF we ever see the sun again! I would like to see it 8-10" tall, thick, and lush before it gets too cold for it to grow. I did read that winter rye continues to grow until temps get down to ~38 degrees?

yes and then when temps go up again it will start growing again...so actually around here I can count on growth well into Nov...as long as the ground has a chance to get sun...hhmm sun...I think I remember seeing that way back when :-\ :) but I speak too soon...last Oct  bow opener I was hunting in 6 in. of wet snow :O

Well I raked the bean stems off...noticed a lot of seed ..not pods on the ground...after the sun came out  I took the tiller late in the day and broke ground ...and yes a bit of a mess but workable..... did the 20yrd x10yrd spot in front of my pine stand set....so it will be winter rye big plot of turnips and then more winter rye to draw them out of the woods on the other side....DR. problem so still have beans to cut and rake today...before I till...Lets hope leaving the equipment there will discourage the turkey.....I I'd like to get more rye than I did the corn they dug up :)