Work from home ?

Nomad

You can be standing desk guy! there's a little button on all office desks that raise and lower the desk
My office at the facility has a stand-up desk. At home it's only a regular sit down desk.

That's the only materialistic thing I miss working from home.

The face to face interaction with humams other than my family, that's another conversation...

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/working_home

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

That's true ,people chasing the dollar will find themselves doing whatever pays the most. 

There's a lot more to it than that. Most have their limits. For example, I travel for work, some wouldn't want to do that at all. If my travel stepped up a lot more than it is now, that's a limit for me regardless of income and I'd be looking for something else. I've worked for 4 major corporations. I've had good and bad bosses and been in good and bad situations. My work ethic has allowed me to be who I am and afford me the position that I have now, which I do so happily every day.

Is my job for everyone? Of course not, and that's what's great about this world. There's lots of jobs out there in all sorts of fields. Seems that Bill really enjoyed working the stockroom of walmart. I worked grocery stockroom at Tops in High School and couldn't fathom doing that my whole life.

You mention sitting all day. It's not like we're just sedentary for 8+ hours, but yes it can be frustrating. But so can back pain and arthritis at the age of 40 from doing manual labor all day. 

At the end of the day, my job affords me to have the lifestyle I enjoy for me, my wife and 3 boys. I'm neither excited or depressed to go to work. It's a job and a means to an end. To speak about an office job as chasing a dollar is kinda funny to me. I know guys doing manual labor working OT putting in far longer hours than me. Maybe I misunderstood your comment though.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JJBat150 said:

My office at the facility has a stand-up desk. At home it's only a regular sit down desk.

That's the only materialistic thing I miss working from home.

The face to face interaction with humams other than my family, that's another conversation...

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/working_home

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I think by far my biggest issue is the lack of transition. While commuting sucks, it was time for me to clear my head before, but most importantly after work. Now I just walk upstairs and don't have that time to transition. If it's a bad day, there my kids are with something broken or they're being kids and it's harder to take haha.

I think by far my biggest issue is the lack of transition. While commuting sucks, it was time for me to clear my head before, but most importantly after work. Now I just walk upstairs and don't have that time to transition. If it's a bad day, there my kids are with something broken or they're being kids and it's harder to take haha.

I teach MS - 8 minutes from home. When my three kids were all also in MS there were plenty of days I just drove past my street cause I had my fill of MS'ers and needed more time than 8 minutes to recharge before dealing with my own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

I teach MS - 8 minutes from home. When my three kids were all also in MS there were plenty of days I just drove past my street cause I had my fill of MS'ers and needed more time than 8 minutes to recharge before dealing with my own!

To Sue’s Rendezvous?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

i did that today and i have a 40 minute drive

• Like 2

As someone whose "office" is the outdoors, let me just say that I can't wait until all you guys go back to your offices.

A few years before Covid, my wife hired a young woman for her team. After a month, she came to my wife to say she made the biggest mistake of her life.

"What's wrong?" asked my wife.

"When I saw the job description was nine to five, I didn't realize it meant I actually had to come in at nine every day! Can I come in at eleven?"

I'm sure that young woman is pretty happy right now.

Late to the party AND I don't work from home either and don't think the nature of my job would be successful from home but I sure as hell would love to be able to do it maybe a day or two a week when I know I just have stuff to get done and don't need the office interaction to be successful. It would save me a 35 min drive each way and leave me with a lot more free time at home. I'm at the point in my career that I really don't get paid to bust my ass and work as hard as I possibly can, I get paid because of what I know and how well I know it. Most weeks I put in 40 hours of work and that's it. Sometimes it's 42 and sometimes its 38. Just depends on what going on. The days of 50-60 hours are long gone.

My wife started to work from home during covid and was made permanent work from home sometime around the end of 2021. She's set up with a dedicated workspace in the house with a desk her laptop and 2 monitors. She works hard from home and even with working hard still her mental aspect about work has changed dramatically. I use to wonder why she still did her job as she did nothing but complain about it when she was working in the office. Now while she still gets frustrated it's nothing like it was before. Something about working from home has changed her view. She can pretty much set her own hours and they don't want people working OT so by the time Friday comes she can only work 4-6 hours that day before she hits 40 hours and she absolutely loves it. 

I'm a little jealous because she's home when the kids get on and off the school bus and gets to talk to them for a little bit before starting work again. If the kids need to go somewhere she can just clock out and take care of personal business then clock back in all the while I'm slugging it to and from work driving for over an hour a day a burning through $100's in fuel. I leave at 7:15am and be lucky to be home by 5:15pm.

• Like 4

I left my house Sunday at 1. Flew to Sacramento and then drove an hour to Stockton, resting my head around 2am EST. Spent the day visiting 2 sites, drove to Fresno, spent the night there, visited a site and then drove 5 hours to LA, visited 2 more sites, stayed in another hotel and flew out of LAX at 6am PST, landing back here in NY at 7 EST.

California is gross, and 4 hotels in 4 nights isn't glamorous. Not all work from home gigs are just doing laundry and jerking off.

As I said before, not every job is for everyone and that's good for our economy. 

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

I left my house Sunday at 1. Flew to Sacramento and then drove an hour to Stockton, resting my head around 2am EST. Spent the day visiting 2 sites, drove to Fresno, spent the night there, visited a site and then drove 5 hours to LA, visited 2 more sites, stayed in another hotel and flew out of LAX at 6am PST, landing back here in NY at 7 EST.

California is gross, and 4 hotels in 4 nights isn't glamorous. Not all work from home gigs are just doing laundry and jerking off.

As I said before, not every job is for everyone and that's good for our economy. 

Yikes. I do not envy that type of travel. I only travel a few times per year and when I do i can extend a night before or after if i want, bring my wife if i want, but i always hit up the town/city and a sporting event when possible (that part is on my own dime).

Flying out of Rochester must be rough with limited direct flights I assume? I'm just so used to NYC airports (or even westchester county airport) that unless I'm going somewhere remote to hunt in wyoming or canada, I never do a layover

Edited by BizCT

3 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Yikes. I do not envy that type of travel. I only travel a few times per year and when I do i can extend a night before or after if i want, bring my wife if i want, but i always hit up the town/city and a sporting event when possible (that part is on my own dime).

Flying out of Rochester must be rough with limited direct flights I assume? I'm just so used to NYC airports (or even westchester county airport) that unless I'm going somewhere remote to hunt in wyoming or canada, I never do a layover

this one was rare. I'm normally a 1 or 2 night guy. Thankfully I'm that guy that flys in and walks around and doesn't have to do much work on travel unless it's a meeting. But if you're flying all the way to the west coast you might as well make it count.

Our headquarters is in atlanta so I do get direct there and i'm now almost delta gold haha.

• Like 1

With Covid I haven't had to travel as much, but just did two back to back trips end of June. Phoenix Monday and a redeye Thursday night and arrive home around 10:30 AM Friday. Had three meetings Friday that was from home thankfully, one day in the office Monday, and then 6AM flight Tuesday to Tampa until Friday. Thankfully back home around 2:30 Friday and I tapped out for the rest of the day and told people at work to stop reaching out. 

I enjoy travel for work but definitely post-Covid I find that the back to back stuff sucks way more than it used to. 

I'm in office 90% of the time on a normal day, but we have alot of WFH people now. I'm going to WFH this afternoon though...this thread helped me decide that. I'm going home at lunch and will take meetings there. Bring on the weekend.

52 minutes ago, Belo said:

Who's got time for laundry anyway

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, phade said:

With Covid I haven't had to travel as much, but just did two back to back trips end of June. Phoenix Monday and a redeye Thursday night and arrive home around 10:30 AM Friday. Had three meetings Friday that was from home thankfully, one day in the office Monday, and then 6AM flight Tuesday to Tampa until Friday. Thankfully back home around 2:30 Friday and I tapped out for the rest of the day and told people at work to stop reaching out. 

I enjoy travel for work but definitely post-Covid I find that the back to back stuff sucks way more than it used to. 

I'm in office 90% of the time on a normal day, but we have alot of WFH people now. I'm going to WFH this afternoon though...this thread helped me decide that. I'm going home at lunch and will take meetings there. Bring on the weekend.

Same here. I was getting 70 segments a year before covid, now Im flying hardly at all. American knocked me down to gold and I'm boarding with group 4 and sitting in an exit row like an animal!

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, phade said:

that's exactly it. The balance to get work done efficiently. I'm spending my day catching up on email and stuff I missed during the week. I would have had zero benefit driving in to do it and my body clock is all messed up with what time it is too. 

43 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Same here. I was getting 70 segments a year before covid, now Im flying hardly at all. American knocked me down to gold and I'm boarding with group 4 and sitting in an exit row like an animal!

american? you must be a gluton for punishment. 

Edited by Belo
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I don't know how you do American. We're Delta or I'm walking. Dulles, Philly...horrid. Charlotte at least tolerable.

Used American for the first year or so and switched and was mad I spent a year with American.

I'm so Delta now, I'll pay a premium to fly them on personal travel when I have to. 

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Its my best option out of Buffalo. I was upgraded about 90% of the time and it was great. Also my boss has had status with them for 20 years and he travels with me quite a bit. I have been flying SW when I can because I want the companion pass for my wife. Even though I absolutely hate the boarding process