To enter or not enter....

G-Man

Personaly no. My gramps buck shot in the 50s was one of the first bucks ever entered in nysbb. At the time it was 3rd now its been pushed down to 100 or more. Wish I had pictures to post but my dirtball uncle has all the pictures and the head.  My other uncle has a blackbear that scored pretty high in nys bbc.  I have an archery buck that would place but never bothered to have it officially scored.

33 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

You and me both. And I have never even seen a deer that would make any book when hunting.

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Entered two in NYSBBC and one of them in P&Y

I guess I’m an outcast now.    Maybe I can shoot a B&C and get kicked off the forum?!?!

I'm with you guys.

I don't care if guys don't want to enter their deer. But 9 out of 10 times the "scores" people say are overestimated. A true record book animal is one that is officially scored. Otherwise I don't really believe 90% of the scores I see online. It's a lot like weight. There's not a gazillion 200lb deer, 40lb bobcats, and 50lb coyotes. I don't care what anyone says.

Edited by BizCT
  • Like 3

Back in 2000 I shot a big buck in Chautauqua county but never bothered to have it scored... the folks at the processors hung it on the scale right away... weighed 178 field dressed.  I think that was good enough for me.  A bigger deer nowadays... I think Id like to know what is scores.

I sometimes score my own bucks just for my own benefit and curiosity. Got some good ones, but nobody cares about em more than I do. They mean absolutely nothing to anyone else but me. I am the one who fondly still remembers every detail of the hunt, that put the deer on the wall. To anyone else, they are just a stuffed head. Even my wife says when I'm gone they will all go in the dumpster. Unless my grandson or hunting partner wants them, who cares?

• Like 5

I arrowed a 10 pointer and brought it to my taxidermist for a shoulder mount. He suggested that I get it scored and I told him fine if he was going to take care of the arrangements. When I picked up the shoulder mount , the taxidermist handed me a small plaque from the NYSBBC. It’s pretty cool but not a big deal. I’m sure that I’ve shot a few turkeys that would make the record books of the NWTF but I couldn’t be bothered with it.

1 hour ago, johnplav said:

Nah.  I'd have @WNY Bowhunterscore it when he mounted it.  Besides that I'd be content with showing it off to you guys, eating the meat from it, and hiding the mount in the basement. 

I am an official scorer for NYSBBC. I score most of the deer that I mount for people but only a handful of taxidermy clients and other people actually end up putting them in the record books if they meet the minimums.

I'd probably enter one if it was over 150". Typically, if I score one for people who are not going to enter it or I know that it's not going to make it I just give them the gross score and not worry about the net (unless I enter it into our excel spreadsheet that does everything for you).