To enter or not enter....

G-Man

8 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

You’d think Biden invented the NYSBBC for all the disdain here.   

No distain from me at all Larry! I have no problem at all with anyone who kills a whopper of a buck, entering him in the books! That's kinda cool to see your name there I'd think? But just like almost every other aspect of deer hunting, we all do things a tad differently for our own reasons. No one size fits all. But it 'IS' all good!!! Perhaps if I killed a 200" monster I would consider a book entry??? Perhaps someone would even care? But probably not. But that's just me, being me........

You have killed some magnificent bucks!!! And usually two a season! Your way certainly works for you!! If I were to ever see your name in a book. I'd smile and say he's a heck of a deer hunter. And I actually got the chance to meet up with him!!!

• Thanks 1

If I was lucky enough to get a P&Y or B&C buck I'd enter it. It would probably be the only one though after that I really wouldn't care, unless it was a top 3 contender.  Hell, the money from sponsors would be nice.  

if this doesn't get me banned, nothing will. Lol. 

6 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Ive had them score a couple for me  but im to cheap to spend 10 bucks to put in book...lol 

Joe does a fantastic job for them though. I truly belive many more large bucks are taken in ny than people realize. They just arent entered.. i know my neighbor has several that would make nysbbc hes 82 and not entering them, prolly show up in a few years as finds after the estate sale...

i scored the one this year came up with  143 and change thats gross and my biggest ever so im guessing would be close for nybbc but dont really care, now if by an act off god  got something  that makes  BC then yeah i think so,,, 

31 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Ive had them score a couple for me  but im to cheap to spend 10 bucks to put in book...lol 

Joe does a fantastic job for them though. I truly belive many more large bucks are taken in ny than people realize. They just arent entered.. i know my neighbor has several that would make nysbbc hes 82 and not entering them, prolly show up in a few years as finds after the estate sale...

The entry fee into the state book just went up from $20 to $25...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

The entry fee into the state book just went up from $20 to $25...

Thats crazy.. if record books are to honor an animal then they should be free..imo. 

But i agree with the article that its become a competition .. i never enter contest because i despise that. 

7 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

No disdain from me. Couldn't give a rats under tail if people submit their bucks. I hope those that do get the recognition they seek.

I never shot anything big enough to worry about it...

However I was on a caribou hunt in NWT when one of my buddies shot a bull that would score well up in B&C  for Central Canada Barren Ground.. He would have had to pay an extra $100 to have it flown back to Yellowknife unsplit, but he chose to split it , which disqualified it from B&C...The camp manager, who was a taxidermist, almost cried...

A few years later I got the benefit of another friend who killed a whopper B&C  elk with his bow...He entered it, and got his picture in Quaker Boy's catalog the next year and had people calling him to guide them...He booked 3 guys from New Jersey and asked me to come along as camp bitch and to help butcher and pack game...He paid all my expenses and gave me $1000  to boot...The dudes all got thier elk and I got a free hunting trip, although I didn't do any actual hunting..

• Like 1

Nope. The only one that needs to know is me and my Maker. Maybe the wife so she knows how much room to make in the freezer. Do it for the meat and if God blesses me for a nice mount also. No need to brag, just the ability to feed the family with what God created for us. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 9:53 AM, WNY Bowhunter said:

I am an official scorer for NYSBBC. I score most of the deer that I mount for people but only a handful of taxidermy clients and other people actually end up putting them in the record books if they meet the minimums.

Out of curiosity did you score mine? I put tape to it with my daughter as a fun thing to do because she insisted that it was bigger than the last one. Spoiler alert it was not bigger but it was closer than I thought it would have been. 

I probably will if I feel like I just got my lifetime buck. But outside of that, I haven't elected to do so. 

I don't think the rate of those who do not enter into books changes much geographically. That point stays constant IMO. 

I never saw any sense in measuring or recording deer or deer scores. Is there really any benefit to doing that? My hunting has become simply a contest between me and the deer that I hunt. None of it is done for the benefit of anyone else. Sure, I will join into hunting discussions with other hunters when it comes up, but measuring antlers for bragging rights simply is not something I want to get involved with. My hunting is an experience, not a competition with anyone but the deer.

• Like 3

I never had the desire to enter an animal in a score book. Although I do have four animals that qualify for B&C.

Just admiring them everyday on my wall gives me the satisfaction and memories and most of all the respect the animal deserves.

Edited by catskillkid
  • Like 1

I never had the desire to enter an animal in a score book. Although I do have four animals that qualify for B&C.
Just admiring them everyday on my wall gives me the satisfaction and memories and most of all the respect the animal deserves.

Post em up so we can too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, catskillkid said:

Wow, excellent!! I’d love to see them regardless of score.  

5 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Out of curiosity did you score mine? I put tape to it with my daughter as a fun thing to do because she insisted that it was bigger than the last one. Spoiler alert it was not bigger but it was closer than I thought it would have been. 

I honestly don't remember if I did or not? Sorry.

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

wolc says the only important measurement is the chest girth to establish the 200 pounds of edible meat of a button buck

I’d be more inclined to see if the food network would want to sample some hoagies made from button buck back strap, cooked medium rare.  That gives anybody a real appreciation for the whitetail deer.

A7D7AB7C-2AB9-422E-8D4D-72800D8992CC.thumb.jpeg.2335544c1bd9932a2d74558921108d4b.jpeg 

• Like 3