New Deer Hunting Show on History Channel

nyantler

This was sent to me by the History Channel on their new show called "Chasing Tail"

Premieres Thursday, April 11th @ 10/9c

Connecticut has some of the richest suburbs in America, but it’s also infested with white-tailed deer, which can spread Lyme disease and cause car accidents. Enter Mike Andronaco and his blue-collar buddies. Mike and his friends get permission from wealthy landowners to hunt on their massive properties. Mike and his guys keep the meat, and the town keeps its deer population manageable. HISTORY's new series captures the culture clash when the arrows begin to fly.

http://youtu.be/LiRo_AdQwzY

This is going to be different from the Saturday morning deer hunting programs on channels where you generally expect to see hunting programs. Programming on the Outdoor Channel is generally watched by hunters. We all have our fun with them, but for the most part, I think they have very little impact on non-hunters. The History Channel on the other hand is watched by the general public and will probably be watched by more non-hunters than hunters. It will be interesting to see just what kind of impression is put forth as to what deer hunting consists of, and what kinds of perceptions of hunting in general are put out there for the public.

i will be dvring this show but I can see negative feedback from a lot of people about this show. one of the previews showed one guy dragging a doe across a lawn by the neck and another was them hanging a doe. to us this is normal but to others it is animal crulity and I think it may spark something. Who knows what  will happen now a days.....

If it's going to be a typical "reality" show with scripting and re enactment, it will not help hunting in any way. 

They get need ratings and you get them by airing controversies and confrontation.

Can't see anything good coming from this.

PS - Anyone know if Ct's right to retrieve laws are the same as NY?

I'm looking forward to watching it.  I've always been envious of guys like this and those snipers who bait deer for cities that are overrun.  The town of Amherst should let me do this at the golf courses and parks.  

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to watching it.  I've always been envious of guys like this and those snipers who bait deer for cities that are overrun.  The town of Amherst should let me do this at the golf courses and parks.  

I use to work, part time, at Hancock airport in Syracuse. I have seen massive bucks, as well as tons of turkey inside the fenced in property. Maybe I should give them a call and offer up my services. LOL!

Scripted or not,I agree with Apoallo,The History channel will be attacked from the Humane Society and every other anti-hunting and anti-gun group out there.They will eventually cave in and take the show off the air.Its a short lived show,mark my words.

I use to work, part time, at Hancock airport in Syracuse. I have seen massive bucks, as well as tons of turkey inside the fenced in property. Maybe I should give them a call and offer up my services. LOL!

Give it a try worse thing they can say is no. Following normal hunting regulations like the 500' rule and maybe bow only. I don't think they will go for gun toting.

This is going to be different from the Saturday morning deer hunting programs on channels where you generally expect to see hunting programs. Programming on the Outdoor Channel is generally watched by hunters. We all have our fun with them, but for the most part, I think they have very little impact on non-hunters. The History Channel on the other hand is watched by the general public and will probably be watched by more non-hunters than hunters. It will be interesting to see just what kind of impression is put forth as to what deer hunting consists of, and what kinds of perceptions of hunting in general are put out there for the public.

i think that depends on the image the hunters portray. If they are ethical and anti-redneck stereotype than it will be good. If they're recruited because they fit the pickup truck stereotype then it doesn't help at all.

I worry too that they might decide to highlight the wounding potential. We all know it happens, but it really doesn't do us a whole lot of good to have that aspect televised to an audience that may be a bit more judgemental about some of our "dirty laundry". I also wonder why they chose suburban hunting as a theme. I hope that they don't get into neighbor/hunter conflicts. I guess the only way to judge this kind of show is to just watch it.

The good news is that there is a show on Discovery Channel called the "Yukon Men" that is just about finished up for the season. This show has a very big part of it that involves hunting and trapping. Apparently that has been working out ok, and they have some very graphic trapping scenes that were handled in a way that depicts trapping as simply a cultural reality and they have not gone out of their way to get involved in a lot of editorial bashing or condemnation. Hopefully the History Channel will take the same approach.

Scripted or not,I agree with Apoallo,The History channel will be attacked from the Humane Society and every other anti-hunting and anti-gun group out there.They will eventually cave in and take the show off the air.Its a short lived show,mark my words.

They already have been attacked for other hunting related shows like Swamp People, etc. They wont cave if the show makes them money.

• Like 1

I don't like this. The message this is giving to the public at large is we hunt to provide ecological services. The response to that message is always when those services are not needed or can be achieved with non lethal methods, hunting is not needed or not justified. And don't dare smile or show enjoyment while dragging your doe out behind walmart either, its not suppose to be fun you know...  

Hunting nearby downtown Ithaca isn't too conducive to getting new hunters excited about the sport either.

Honestly, how can you not like something or you havent seen yet? You should watch a couple of episodes before you comment on what the show portrays.