Dropped that coyote

Posted Today, 11:50 AM

If people were not lazy..did there homework..most of the problem could be solved in the fall/winter..not the spring/summere when the are caring and hunting for the young.

OK now your just talking out your back side...I suppose farmers should limit all there live stock to giving birth strictly in the fall ...get serious :rolleyes: 

I guess I was brought up the old fashion way. A coyote to me is a furbearer. This time of year there fur is worthless so why would I kill one/

Actually, that is the way I look at furbearers. My feeling is that hunting those critters in the summer months really is wasting a cash resource. It was kind of engrained in me back in the trapline days of my youth. I don't have anything against coyotes. If I was a sheep farmer, I might have an entirely different attitude. But as it stands right now, I see coyotes in the same light as foxes. Damn fine pelt when they are prime, and not to be taken until they are.

Ethics is where the line is drawn.....for me anyway.

Cash is an added bonus.

So your trying to say it's unethical for some one to protect their property?

Well then put away your mouse trap and rat poisons...Oh that's right...they have no monetary/ sports value..like wood chucks  open season...What is funny to me is ppl don't pick up on the fact their "ethics" are dictated  by others

I don't get that from his statement.

How do you quote and not get the persons name that your quoting?

So your trying to say it's unethical for some one to protect their property?

Well then put away your mouse trap and rat poisons...Oh that's right...they have no monetary/ sports value..like wood chucks  open season...What is funny to me is ppl don't pick up on the fact their "ethics" are dictated  by others

I have no problem whatsoever of someone protecting their property. As far a mice and rats , I consider them vermin along with bed bugs and roaches. Coyotes are considered predators , not vermin.

Ethics are dictated by others for the distinction between right and wrong.....such as rules , laws and regulations. It's up to the individuals moral compass to follow them or not.

ver•min (ˈvɜr mɪn)

n., pl. ver•min.

1. noxious or objectionable animals collectively, esp. those of small size that appear commonly and are difficult to control, as flies, lice, cockroaches, and rats.
2. an objectionable or obnoxious person, or such persons collectively.
3. animals that prey upon game, as coyotes.

Your predator ....is someone elses Vermin

Ethics are dictated by others for the distinction between right and wrong.....such as rules , laws and regulations. It's up to the individuals moral compass to follow them or not.

This is true.... it is up to people to use their moral compass to guide them through societies Ethical standards...ie...One see's a deer withering in pain in a field shot by some unknown person...do you let it suffer or put it down...you have no DMP

You know what happen sometimes with trapped animals...death by drowning....chewing off feet...slowly suffocating...It is a standard Ethical way to gather fur species...I do not find it morally correct and do not trap....but I do not think I have the moral right to debase another person for their Ethical right to do so? No...No more than I think someone  should do so, to a a person that Ethically has a right to down a destructive predator out of season.

• 4 weeks later...

Killing a coyote out of season requires a nuisance permit, just the same as a deer. All these presumptions that ECO's care more about a deer over other wildlife are untrue.

This is just not true. You do NOT need a nuisance permit to kill a Coyote out of season. If a Coyote is damaging any property (killing or THREATENING to kill live stock is just one example) then they may be taken on the spot, year round, and without a permit what so ever. This is in the State of New York of course.

I know a sheep rancher and he is always calling me to come over and thin the Coyote number as they average killing 2 sheep per week. Before i started, i called a local DEC Officer to make sure i was legal. He told me as long as the Coyote''s are killing or threatening to kill the livestock and i have the land owner permission, then i was legal.

I check the regulations just to double tap and it verrified what he told me.

• Like 1

Yes we've established that point, but if you read back to page #1  the original poster said it was looking toward his house and that he owns "house" cats.  So do you think that was a damaging or THREATENING animal? I say no. Where did you see THREATENING in the ECL.? I only saw INJURING or NUISANCE.

I have no qualms with people trying to protect their possessions. Do what you gotta do.

Now all I need is a driveway alarm on my baitpile, so that the next animal that comes in and even dares look at my house can get a lead pill in the ear.

I know a sheep rancher and he is always calling me to come over and thin the Coyote number as they average killing 2 sheep per week.

A smart person would erect a fence to ensure his/her livestock stay safe in land inhabited by coyotes. Simple as that.

You don't see raised rabbits being allowed to roam free with raptors flying above!

If you feed them, they will come and they will eat.

Like I said, do what ya gotta do.

I realized I was wrong a couple pages back and I owned up to it. I don't mind being corrected on things, but I already said, "I was wrong,my mistake", does that not suffice?

SomervilleSlayer- welcome to the forum. I'm not stirring up a ruckus with you, but if you call the dog out then expect him to bark.

Edited by PREDATE

This is just not true. You do NOT need a nuisance permit to kill a Coyote out of season. If a Coyote is damaging any property (killing or THREATENING to kill live stock is just one example) then they may be taken on the spot, year round, and without a permit what so ever. This is in the State of New York of course.

I know a sheep rancher and he is always calling me to come over and thin the Coyote number as they average killing 2 sheep per week. Before i started, i called a local DEC Officer to make sure i was legal. He told me as long as the Coyote''s are killing or threatening to kill the livestock and i have the land owner permission, then i was legal.

I check the regulations just to double tap and it verrified what he told me.

Yeah, right...

OK, so if you kill one and are stopped while transporting it, you just tell the officer my rancher friend said it was a problem and gave me verbal permission?

Tell you what, I got a couple nuisance coyotes, come on over and take care of it. On the way out of here my wife will call the local ECO and when you are stopped tell him I said they were a nuisance and gave you permission.

Yeah, right...

OK, so if you kill one and are stopped while transporting it, you just tell the officer my rancher friend said it was a problem and gave me verbal permission?

Tell you what, I got a couple nuisance coyotes, come on over and take care of it. On the way out of here my wife will call the local ECO and when you are stopped tell him I said they were a nuisance and gave you permission.

Well, i could also envite you over to my house to target practice on paper. Then when you get there call 911 and tell them that you forced your way into my house and held me and my family at gunpoint while attempting to rob me. It would be a complete lie but there would be an investigation to say the least. You can "what if" all day long, all i'm saying is how I and the Local Game Warden interperat the law coupled with the land owner asking for a favor, gave me all I need to feel as though i was legally and morrely authorized to hunt coyote out of regular season.  

If you don't want to take the risk because you think the land owners wife is going to turn you into to the DEC and lie about everything, then maybe that's not a place you want to spend any time.

Edited by SomervilleSlayer

Sorry Predate, i didn't see where you changed your opinion. Sorry.

As far as a fence for the sheep. 1) i never said this guy was smart. 2) he really doesn't have much money at all. 3) Not sure any fence he could afford would keep Coyotes out.

But bottom line, he doesn't have a fence. Do you all think i'm wrong one way or another for taking this rancher up on his offer out of season..... keep in mind, i called the DEC and asked, and was granted permission.

No I don't think you were wrong at all for helping this guy out.

Farmers/ranchers do run into hard times and that's understandable.The point I was trying to make is that most of us live in areas inhabited by coyotes, so to invest time and money in a flock of livestock with no means of securing it is somewhat insane.

Hunting alone will not put coyotes in check and some biologists suggest that it actually inhibits population growth.

How many yotes were you able to take?

I just don't get coyote or not that some people think that its ok to kill the "scourge of the woods" when ever the feel like it. It really is irresponsible to do that unless life or property are actually in danger, I don't cherish one animal over the other, Coyotes are a predator they need to eat too,  Its amazing that some people will complain about people shooting after or before legal shooting hours, Or point fingers at trespassers but find it "OK" to shoot a coyote out of season, If you cannot shoot a deer before legal hours why is it ok shoot a coyote in New York in May, double standards are the reason we as sportsman are constantly fighting amongst ourselves instead of uniting as a whole to ward off laws such as the SAFE ACT, Or putting the truly bad people in jail, Coyote,deer,turkey,goose,duck,squirrel, does it really matter the act of taking wild game out of season is still POACHING any way you look at it, A person who knowingly shoots a coyote out of season is the same level of douche bag that would shoot a whitetail buck at night with the aide of a spot light from a motor vehicle. In my opinion wrong is wrong, What kind of lesson are we as responsible gun owners and hunters teaching kids if we teach them its ok to only follow the rules that we feel are necessary and all the rest are bullshit,  For once it would be nice to see parents step up and teach right from wrong. Not if you don't like it, Its not right, How many people reading this think that the youth of today are out of control, How many people reading this believe that its the fault of the parents, Now how many of you think that its ok to teach your kids that killing coyotes out of season is right and ill show you where the problem starts, Wildlife laws are there to protect the animals, To ensure that future generations can love or hate the animals we have around us every day, If we kill all of the coyotes what has that taught the next generation that they can target and kill whatever animal they believe to be a "SCOURGE OF THE WOODS" I thought that as a educated society, A understanding society that we all would have learned from our past mistakes and would strive for a better future for everybody not just your whitetail deer, or your cotton tail rabbit, or whatever animal you believe to be better than some dumb coyote, Look at some species of animals that we will never see due to barbarick thinking of our past generations like, Like the Tasmanian Tiger,Quagga,Passenger Pigeon,Golden toad,Caribbean Monk Seal,Pyrenean Ibex,Javan Tiger, Bubal Hartebeest, There are more, But hey they have nothing in common with that nasty little coyote running through your back yard, right,  Maybe they all had more in common than you think, Just sayin Poaching is Poaching, Theodore Roosevelt noticed the problem and decided it was time to do some thing about it,  Here is a good quote from him.“Do Something Now. If not you, who? If not here, where? If not now, when?” ~ Theodore Roosevelt, Its up to us to fix the problem not to leave it for our children or our children's children, Can any of you imagine having a conversation with your grand children about hunting and have them not understand because they don't know or have never heard of the animals you hunted, To me that's heart breaking,

Edited by wheelieman

Guys, I apologize for all the trouble this thread started. I am not from NY, been there and love it, but am from WA state where coyote hunting is year round. I didn't even think about it not being year round everywhere. I was just sharing a strange incident (to me) as coyotes around here are rarely seen so close to a house. Yes, I am impressed with a load of pellets with enough oomph to kill a mid sized dog. I do not condone breaking game laws and apologize again for the controversy. I really like this forum and enjoy reading your comments. I will try in the future to remember that this is a site intended or mainly used by the great people of NY.

• Like 1

Guys, I apologize for all the trouble this thread started. I am not from NY, been there and love it, but am from WA state where coyote hunting is year round. I didn't even think about it not being year round everywhere. I was just sharing a strange incident (to me) as coyotes around here are rarely seen so close to a house. Yes, I am impressed with a load of pellets with enough oomph to kill a mid sized dog. I do not condone breaking game laws and apologize again for the controversy. I really like this forum and enjoy reading your comments. I will try in the future to remember that this is a site intended or mainly used by the great people of NY.

No need to apologize for creating a very entertaining post.