Going camping with my son in the Boyscouts next weekend

Deerthug

I am going camping to Seton Connecticut with my son and his boy scout troop for a Spring Camporee. This will be my first camp out since I left the boy scouts about 30 years ago. I had so much equipment that my parents ended up tossing after they moved 10 years ago. So I picked up a 4 person Quest Eagle dome tent at Dicks yesterday for $50 for myself and another adult volunteer.

post-1257-0-77367600-1365689110.jpg 

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12586088&lmdn=Brand&cp=4406646.4413993.4414966.19446426

I set it up last night in my basement by myself. Pretty easy to set up - took about 20 minutes to do alone. Similar to my predator blinds I set up myself. Not sure how it will hold up on the actual trip. Should be in the 50's during the day 40's at night. Reviews I found were mixed. Anyone else have any experience with this brand of tent?

Being an Eagle Scout, I have always wanted to get back into it to give back, but simply don't have the time.  Have fun.  Maybe take some of them snipe hunting.  Some of my best memories are from campouts and scouting.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I dropped out when I got to Star - got too old and too busy with school at that point. I certainly am looking forward to this trip and many more in the future. Hoping that my son sticks with it and reaches Eagle. BTW what is snipe hunting??

• Like 1

I have no experience with that particular tent, but unless its really windy, it should hold up fine.  If the ground is wet, you may want to invest in an extra tarp to keep that moisture from getting in.  As for keeping you warm, that's your sleeping bags job.  If the ground is going to be cold, have a sleeping pad, blanket, or air mattress for insulation.

Edited by Sogaard

I have no experience with that particular tent, but unless its really windy, it should hold up fine.  If the ground is wet, you may want to invest in an extra tarp to keep that moisture from getting in.  As for keeping you warm, that's your sleeping bags job.  If the ground is going to be cold, have a sleeping pad, blanket, or air mattress for insulation.

Thanks.  I was planning on bringing an extra tarp to put on ground although this particular tent does have a built in tarp. I may pick up a folding cot as well, fairly inexpensive at Walmart.

Biggest comfort item to have on a camping trip is a sleeping pad from my memories.  I camped all over NYS, from 2 feet of snow to BLAZING hot summer days.  One day when i have some time i have every intention to give back like Rev Ev said, as i too am an eagle scout.

Unfortunately I dropped out when I got to Star - got too old and too busy with school at that point. I certainly am looking forward to this trip and many more in the future. Hoping that my son sticks with it and reaches Eagle. BTW what is snipe hunting??

Taking the new scouts on a snipe hunt was a tradition in our Troop. Best way to do it is the have a burlap bag and a stick. It only works at night as they roost on the lower branches as night. You have to be very very quiet and sneak up to a tree. One newbie holds the burlap sack open and the other hits the tree trunk with the stick. It startles them from their sleep and when they jump out of the tree to get away, if you are very very lucky they land in the burlap bag.

See reference to left handed smoke bender, sky hooks and watt rocks and current bushes....lol

Taking the new scouts on a snipe hunt was a tradition in our Troop. Best way to do it is the have a burlap bag and a stick. It only works at night as they roost on the lower branches as night. You have to be very very quiet and sneak up to a tree. One newbie holds the burlap sack open and the other hits the tree trunk with the stick. It startles them from their sleep and when they jump out of the tree to get away, if you are very very lucky they land in the burlap bag.

See reference to left handed smoke bender, sky hooks and watt rocks and current bushes....lol

Haha, this post brings back a lot of memories.  I am an Eagle also, and I'm currently the proud father of two 12 year old Second Class scouts.

• Like 1

snipe hunting:  an excuse to get tenderfoot scouts lost in the woods while you laugh at them and make scary noises until they cry.  Or something like that.  the only succesful snipe hunt I ever went on was my first one, I got lost withouth a flashlight in the woods while random pine cones were thrown at me.  took what seemed forever to get back to my tent.