Does it ever dawn on you.....

......just how good you have it?

Was coming back from checking out a tree stand I rarely use 1/2 hour away and these things pop in my head. As I'm traveling thru some absolutely beautiful country with the window down, the radio on and I stop and get an ice cream cone at a little towns ice cream stand....I remember just how good I really have it.

In no other time or place in history does anyone have it better than the average American. We might bitch about politics and things in general but we need to pause once in a while and not take what we have for granted. Where else in the world can I be traveling the open free road in a truck I own and stop for a giant ice cream for $3, go home to the house I own, mow the lawn, drink a beer and basically do as I please. Kings from the past don't have access and freedoms to all we have as "middle class" Americans.

I have a great GF, a job that pays the bills, a dog that is like my right hand, a boat and a simple house by the lake, a fridge with food and beer and the ability to have time to enjoy myself hunting, fishing and just sitting on the patio if I want to. I am farrrr from a rich man but compared to what other countries and other times had, it's hard to believe all we have. Be thankful and don't just take it for granted.

And no I'm not dying or anything, it just struck me today, while Im driving with the window down eating a mint chocolate chip ice cream cone, thru the back roads of Madison county on a perfect summer day.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

I'm zero 30 days to moving up to the cabin.  I've been up here for the last 4 days. My brother asked how ya doing? I was like there is no noise except the wind and wildlife. No leaf blowers mowers traffic. My only problem was the guy who was going to build my garage will only do the foundation. My neighbor grabbed me and said I'm introducing you to an old Amish friend. Brought plans with me. He and his family were so nice. He is coming up with a crew to get it done. Just waiting on price. My dogs love it here and the view is out of this world! Spent the afternoon down at my neighbors new pond. His grandkids were there so I stoped and got a 50 pack of DD munchkins! I was their best friend! The view I have is priceless and thank the Lord for it!

IMG_2027.jpg

• Like 14

Yup, agree totally ...to those who have the old fashioned American work ethic. It is those who always want more and do not want to work for it that complain the most.  I (think) I work hard, but we now own our house and camp free. I have a small fishing boat that I can use (never often enough) in one of the most water blessed states in the union. I have been very fortunate to have gone on several once only dreamed of hunts, my marriage is stable, health is good and dog doesnt bite. The kitchen is full of food, and the bills are paid on time. I actually am planning on a retirement, as opposed to both my grandfathers and father who anticipated jsut working until they dropped....which they did at an early age. 

After traveling overseas and seeing the incredible poverty, hunger and REAL political strife, I am amazed by what we offer. Now we just need Ronnie Reagan to return to pull us all back together again.

• Like 8

I too realize how good we have it in this land.  I realize the blood and sacrifice it took to achieve it.  I also realize how easily we can lose it.

I want to keep it the way we have it and think it wise to be ever vigilant about the dangers that threaten it.  I never forget our freedom is under constant threat.

• Like 5

I agree Rob.  I am nearly 68 and in my lifetime the deer hunting has improved substantially.  I live in Oswego and have numerous places to fish within a 45 minute drive.  Other states have things to offer that we don't but we have lots of opportunities in NY and it's not too hard to stock the freezer with venison and fish.  (Turkeys have been a problem lately!)  Where I live we don't have much concern about earthquakes, forest fires, hurricanes and floods.  A person with skills and a good work ethic can usually support a family.  Yes, we have much to be grateful for.

• Like 4

Absolutely!! The other day, I was sitting @camp  with my feet up visiting with friends and watching the loons swim by. In the background you can hear the explosions and high caliber automatic weapon fire from practice at Fort Drum.

Besides everything else we have to be thankful for , we are blessed that we don't worry the noise is getting closer, or have to hide when you hear the load roar of low flying jets or helicopters fly by .

• Like 2

Only $3 for a large ice cream? I haven’t heard of such a thing since 1992!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It actually was a "small". With so much ice cream on it I wouldn't have wanted to get bigger. Ice cream was twice the height of the cone..

• Like 1

Guess I'll shake your hand again!!!
Some motivation to get Charlie a cone...My mom just sent me this from Trico's last birthday
ccbae236123d218a29663b50c3d3e043.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great pic!

Unfortunately Charlie and ice cream don't mix... But made him an egg for sure

My old man always told me to stop and smell the roses once in awhile. Gotta sit back and appreciate what you have now and then. When I do get upset or frustrated I try to remember that I got a freakin moose on my wall and maybe I should quit my bitchin! Very well written post and definitely something that needed to be said! Thank you!d002f4b942e3e207498abf19e031d004.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Absolutely Rob. I think about it often and I honestly have nothing to complain about in life. Great wife, great kids a nice house and yard, good friends and good health.

My hunting land is only 35 min away so I can head out there anytime I’d like. I was out there last week and will be out there again this weekend.

Heck even my job ain’t that bad. Sure it’s not all roses but

• Like 1

What Rob-c said. I  love this  state, familys been here since before the  Revolutionary War. But the  liberal, constitutional rights restricting Gov't  (both Federal and state) makes this a facade of true freedom as envisioned by our (and my) ancestors. the  way we are being governed now is what our founding fathers feared.

• Like 2

Yep I agree , but just think how much better it could  be in a free red state . 

What Rob-c said. I  love this  state, familys been here since before the  Revolutionary War. But the  liberal, constitutional rights restricting Gov't  (both Federal and state) makes this a facade of true freedom as envisioned by our (and my) ancestors. the  way we are being governed now is what our founding fathers feared.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas!
Coach Pete's favorite sayings when people were bitching over minutia and missing the good or making excuses over things out of their control.
He also liked "if the queen had balls she'd be the king!"

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, crappyice said:

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas!
Coach Pete's favorite sayings when people were bitching over minutia and missing the good or making excuses over things out of their control.
He also liked "if the queen had balls she'd be the king!"

Oh I’m not missing the good, I’ve said it many of times , I love living where I live in this state. And when retirement hits we will stop making excuses and take control over things with our feet and move to a cheaper , free state .

• Like 2