? On selling guns / values

luberhill

Don't take this the wrong way but you should know the value  of guns you have .

Gun prices are sky high on gun broker ,it blows my mind what people are paying for guns these days.  That's even in piss poor condition. 

Gun prices are sky high on gun broker ,it blows my mind what people are paying for guns these days.  That's even in piss poor condition. 

So then GB would be a good place to go to find out how much you can get for your gun even if you know what it's actually worth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I'd say that sounds correct .

Only my thoughts of course.  

People are buying pitted omega muzzleloaders for 400 to even 500 . Granted they may only want the action for a smokeless build but they were not that much new . That's only one example 

Edited by sbuff

17 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Yea but I really don’t , sad but true .

I never really cared what they were worth .

And I wouldn’t now if I wasn’t thinking of getting rid of a few

• Like 1

GB is a good place to get an idea what your guns are worth.  What a similar gun sells for on GB is a good indication of what your's would sell for, at least on that auction site.

If you can find a friend who has a recent edition of The Blue Book Of Gun Values, they can check it for current values too.

• Like 1

Posting a request for a value on this site would be a good idea if you can supply good photos and descriptions, especially any flaws.  Some folks on here have the Blue Book and may be able to give you a good estimation of it's worth.

You should check on GB for the price they actually sold for. Then remember with gun broker you have fees they charge, you have to box and ship them , hope the buyer sends payment etc..   If you can sell locally and do transfer at a gun shop you may come out ahead even if you sell for less. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Trad bow said:

hope the buyer sends payment etc..  

Have to say I have sold on forums, gunbroker, and guns international; payment has never once been a problem.

However gunbroker seems to be the bottom of the barrel for buyers at times. Stupid questions are the norm, "can i mount a bi pod on a this Marlin 336"

Favorite way has been forums, have had more than one interesting conversation with a buyer, met a few in person later on and have done a little hunting too. Even bought one back that i kinda regretted selling in the first place. And no fees.

This is my experience with Gunbroker . I have sold many guns ( about 20 ) , and bought 10-15 . I follow mostly rifles and shotguns and ammo . Never really bothered with pistols . If I want a pistol I go to a local gun shop .

Buying - I found 99 percent of the FFL sellers to be very helpful . Mostly great bunch of guys you can talk to on the phone setting up payments and shipping to my FFL .  I cant say the same about individuals selling their own guns and dealing with them sending their drivers license to my FFL . They also take their sweet time shipping the firearm even though you sent them a bank check by overnight mail . I try to avoid them unless they have something that I really want ( the I gotta have it moment ) . And  I believe  for that same reason , I see FFL's getting higher bids than individuals on comparable guns . I believe the its a matter of trusting the FFL's over the individual . My guess would be individuals get 10-30 percent less than a FFL for the firearm .

Selling -  There are 3 ways that I have sold guns

1 ) Gunbroker BUT I never sell them myself . One of my hunting buddies is a FFL that sells on the site. He does not have a shop and sells out of his house . He sells 50-60 guns a year on GB and been doing it for many years. He charges me 5-10 percent and handles all the questions , payments , details and shipping . Worth every dime I pay him .

2) I bring the guns I want to sell to a gun shop and sell them on consignment . The shop will usually give you a good idea on what you can get for them . They dont want your gun sitting on their shelves taking up space but usually give you a range of price and advise you to go for the top of the range and see how it goes for a bit. Never had a bad experience with any gun shop doing this and all the guns sold at or near the top of the price range. They usually charge 10-15 percent for handling the sale

3 ) Trade them in for something you really want that a gun shop has in stock . This is a great option if you dont want to deal with anything else . Besides , we all have at least one gun we " really " want ! We might not " need " it , but we want it !  lol . The shop has some leeway on what they can pay you for your firearm if you are buying one from them. I was always happy trading in guns I didn't want to deal with . 

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Grouse said:

Posting a request for a value on this site would be a good idea if you can supply good photos and descriptions, especially any flaws.  Some folks on here have the Blue Book and may be able to give you a good estimation of it's worth.

So that’s not against any rules ?

I'll probably be selling a few guns in the near future - inherited guns to be exact so finding out prices will be what I'm looking for !

Make sure you look at sold guns on GB many are listed at high prices and never sold

• Like 2

The ones I’m thinking about are ones I just don’t use … seems a shame that they sit in the safe

Rossi mod 92 lever 38/357

Winchester Mod 94 30/30 post 64, no safety ..checkered 

Remington 1187 premier 20ga vent rib with chokes and rifled slug barrel

Henry lever .22 silver boy

Ill check prices , and post prices and pics on this site in firearms for sale section.

Im not interested in shipping them, I live near Auburn Ny. But travel to Syracuse / Rochester weekly

The ones I’m thinking about are ones I just don’t use … seems a shame that they sit in the safe
Rossi mod 92 lever 38/357
Winchester Mod 94 30/30 post 64, no safety ..checkered 
Remington 1187 premier 20ga vent rib with chokes and rifled slug barrel
Henry lever .22 silver boy
Ill check prices , and post prices and pics on this site in firearms for sale section.
Im not interested in shipping them, I live near Auburn Ny. But travel to Syracuse / Rochester weekly

The model 94 would be of interest to me

• Like 1