remington 1100 pattern ok?

older042

turkey B) never really got to hunt them much and everything I read or see about it is all 3" shells or bigger my gun will only take 2 3/4 just wanted to make sure it was adequate.

That's a good pattern and , applied to the head/neck region of a gobbler, will result in a dead turkey, at least out to and somewhat beyond the distance that you fired at that patterning target..

When I started hunting turkeys in the 1960s, 3 inch  magnum 12 gauge guns were just beginning to become popular... The  "standard" turkey gun at that time was a 2 3/4" full choke 12 gauge, but many hunters owned only one shotgun and used whatever they had,  often a 20 or 16 gauge with a modified choke.  My first fall turkey was killed with with a 12 gauge modified choke and regular high brass #4 shot in 1965. A few years later, I took my first spring gobbler with a side by side 20 gauge.  As long as the shot was taken within the effective range of the shotgun,  turkeys were killed with amazing regularity.

The simple minded creatures just hadn't LEARNED yet that it required  3" or 3.5 " magnum guns and $5 apiece shotshells to kill them.  Fortunately for them, today's turkeys are much more sophisticated, and refuse to succumb to the crude , outdated guns and ammo that used to be effective on them.

• Like 2

That's a good pattern and , applied to the head/neck region of a gobbler, will result in a dead turkey, at least out to and somewhat beyond the distance that you fired at that patterning target..

When I started hunting turkeys in the 1960s, 3 inch magnum 12 gauge guns were just beginning to become popular... The "standard" turkey gun at that time was a 2 3/4" full choke 12 gauge, but many hunters owned only one shotgun and used whatever they had, often a 20 or 16 gauge with a modified choke. My first fall turkey was killed with with a 12 gauge modified choke and regular high brass #4 shot in 1965. A few years later, I took my first spring gobbler with a side by side 20 gauge. As long as the shot was taken within the effective range of the shotgun, turkeys were killed with amazing regularity.

The simple minded creatures just hadn't LEARNED yet that it required 3" or 3.5 " magnum guns and $5 apiece shotshells to kill them. Fortunately for them, today's turkeys are much more sophisticated, and refuse to succumb to the crude , outdated guns and ammo that used to be effective on them.

You mean you dont have to spend an arm and a leg on shells to get one? Thought that was common practice lol

You mean you dont have to spend an arm and a leg on shells to get one? Thought that was common practice lol

It IS  common practice, Scott, much to the DELIGHT of those folks who sell those hundred dollar choke tubes and $5 shotshells.....<<grin>>....