Little get away

sbuff

14 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

That looks like a wonderful setup although it ain’t squat if you don’t have a Blackstone……sorry.   

:)

Come on kid you ought to know better .....

20220711_200927.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

Lets talk more about that camper. Bunkhouse? Any Slide out's? How Long and how's it work with the family? We are looking to upgrade from our old tired hybrid into a 25-28 foot bunk house. I feel like one slide out is a must for that extra room but honestly don't know if it's worth the extra cost and extra weight. We are waiting to hit up a RV Show so we can check out a bunch all at once as a family. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Lets talk more about that camper. Bunkhouse? Any Slide out's? How Long and how's it work with the family? We are looking to upgrade from our old tired hybrid into a 25-28 foot bunk house. I feel like one slide out is a must for that extra room but honestly don't know if it's worth the extra cost and extra weight. We are waiting to hit up a RV Show so we can check out a bunch all at once as a family. 

We made the mistake of buying a 2019 jayco 28' with out bump out . Two years later bought current 28' with bump out . 100% worth the added cost.  I made the mistake in 2019 saying we didn't need it. Wife made me eat crow in 21. We actually got it in March of 20 the day before albany rv shut down due to covid.  Being a 21 and getting in 20 it was like we got a year free value wise or so I tell myself.  Wife got electric fireplace which has been huge for early and late season camping.  I'd rather use campground electric then my own propane to heat all day long . Upgraded to 15k AC which comes in handy on dog days of summer . Tows like a dream with my 3/4 ton chevy 2500hd.  Just turned 55k on the ole girl . Not bad for a 2002 garage queen .  For our family of 4 its size wise perfect . Two other camper family's have similar 28' with bump and they too are happy .

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/aurora/28BHS/5311

26 minutes ago, sbuff said:

We made the mistake of buying a 2019 jayco 28' with out bump out . Two years later bought current 28' with bump out . 100% worth the added cost.  I made the mistake in 2019 saying we didn't need it. Wife made me eat crow in 21. We actually got it in March of 20 the day before albany rv shut down due to covid.  Being a 21 and getting in 20 it was like we got a year free value wise or so I tell myself.  Wife got electric fireplace which has been huge for early and late season camping.  I'd rather use campground electric then my own propane to heat all day long . Upgraded to 15k AC which comes in handy on dog days of summer . Tows like a dream with my 3/4 ton chevy 2500hd.  Just turned 55k on the ole girl . Not bad for a 2002 garage queen .  For our family of 4 its size wise perfect . Two other camper family's have similar 28' with bump and they too are happy .

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/aurora/28BHS/5311

Thanks for the input, early and late season bad weather is the reason why I think the bump out is needed. We as a family of 4 have spent many of memorial day weekends stuck inside because of rain and that little hybrid while nice just has no room to spread out and relax. 

We are actually waiting until the beginning of August to look at a friends 2016 Jayco 28BHBE that they are selling. If the deals right we might just jump on it. It looks like it's almost exactly the same thing that you have. 

Only downside is I'll also have to upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck to pull it and now is not the time to be buying a used truck.  

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

Thanks for the input, early and late season bad weather is the reason why I think the bump out is needed. We as a family of 4 have spent many of memorial day weekends stuck inside because of rain and that little hybrid while nice just has no room to spread out and relax. 

We are actually waiting until the beginning of August to look at a friends 2016 Jayco 28BHBE that they are selling. If the deals right we might just jump on it. It looks like it's almost exactly the same thing that you have. 

Only downside is I'll also have to upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck to pull it and now is not the time to be buying a used truck.  

Whats your tow vehicle now , our camping crew has 1/2s but we added air bags to theirs and mine.  Makes a world of difference with the weight distribution set up.

And thanks grampy it was much needed break from the grind 

Edited by sbuff

F-150 with the 2.7 ecoboost engine. Only rated to tow 7,600 pounds with a 1,528 payload. No way am I pulling a 28 footer with a slide. Without the slide maybe. 25-26 footers are closer in weight and size for the truck I currently have. I could get a half ton with a higher towing and payload capacity but if I'm getting a different truck I might as well get a 3/4 ton and not have to worry about what the camper weighs and what I'm putting in the truck. 

Our friends 28 footer really has to be a deal in order for us to move on it because we have to factor in the added cost of the 3/4 ton truck as well. If that deal doesn't work then we hit up the RV shows to figure out what will work for us.  

Sweet set up for sure.  The GF and I recently bought a used popup and so far we are very pleased with it.  It was priced right (very right) at a time when covid jacked up the prices of used campers to the crazy level.

We will probablly only use it 3 or 4 times a summer but I will use it a few more times during the early doe hunt and early bow season.

camper001.jpg

Nice pop up, we started in tents, then pop ups then to the 28 footer size as our family grew . Great set up.

Moho81 this is the fireplace that keeps us warm at the start and end of the seasons.  Last memorial day it was 48 degrees when we went  

20220713_102604.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Nice pop up, we started in tents, then pop ups then to the 28 footer size as our family grew . Great set up.

Moho81 this is the fireplace that keeps us warm at the start and end of the seasons.  Last memorial day it was 48 degrees when we went  

20220713_102604.jpg

So the fireplace is electric and puts out heat?

Memorial day 2021 was awful. We stayed at Bowman Lake in the ADK's which was a beautiful park but no electric and at the time we did not have a generator. It was cold and did nothing but rain for 2 days. I'm so thankful I grabbed my buddy heater at the last min before pulling out of the driveway as it at least kept us warm inside the camper while we played game's and colored. We ended up packing up a day early and heading home because the forecast was nothing but rain for the remainder of the trip. That same year my in-laws went to Watkins Glenn State park and only lasted a day in their pop up. They had to set it up in the rain and got soaked. Had to stay inside freezing because they had no heat. they packed up the next morning and came home. LOL a 4 night stay turned into not even 24 hours. 

9 hours ago, Moho81 said:

So the fireplace is electric and puts out heat?

Memorial day 2021 was awful. We stayed at Bowman Lake in the ADK's which was a beautiful park but no electric and at the time we did not have a generator. It was cold and did nothing but rain for 2 days. I'm so thankful I grabbed my buddy heater at the last min before pulling out of the driveway as it at least kept us warm inside the camper while we played game's and colored. We ended up packing up a day early and heading home because the forecast was nothing but rain for the remainder of the trip. That same year my in-laws went to Watkins Glenn State park and only lasted a day in their pop up. They had to set it up in the rain and got soaked. Had to stay inside freezing because they had no heat. they packed up the next morning and came home. LOL a 4 night stay turned into not even 24 hours. 

Yes memorial day of 21 that electric fire place bailed us out . It has a fan blower in it too . It had to be 80 in the trailer I was roasting.  We used it to dry clothes we were all soaked . Made make shift tarp for cooking and salvaging  any type of outside activity with kids . They were troopers. They all wanted to leave early but toughed it out . By far our coldest memorial day .

I usually bring my little honda generator no matter what just in case power goes out. This trip i forgot it , storms rolled by yesterday and I got nervous power would go out.  I may buy a champion duel fuel inverter generator in near future .

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

Went white water rafting on the sacandaga River wow that was a pretty good rush . My 9 year old will differ and she thought we were going over board a few times . I'll admit I thought she was going over if I didn't have hold of her life vest. First time doing it , I'd recommend it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sbuff said:

Went white water rafting on the sacandaga River wow that was a pretty good rush . My 9 year old will differ and she thought we were going over board a few times . I'll admit I thought she was going over if I didn't have hold of her life vest. First time doing it , I'd recommend it 

I second that ! Everyone should go whitewater rafting at least once. I've done all 3 rivers in Maine a few times. The Kennebec , Penobscot and the Dead rivers . So much fun !  One year I gave out whitewater rafting tickets as Christmas presents . We had 22 people staying at my camp and all going rafting together that weekend . So much fun ! 

• Like 1

Awesome!!

My wife works at Wilkins RV in Bath now.. she is allowed to "borrow" a used model of any kind up to 3x per year.. We cant wait to use one. Trying to get her into camping, and i think being able to "borrow" one for free 
(they even prep it and deliver it, pick it up and clean it when done) .. Bene waiting 10 years to get her into camping..