Deerthug's Contest Thread

Well opening day came and went without anything to show for it. I got skunked. Nary a soul anywhere near my set up. Going to be moving to the other side of the property where I saw two gobblers this morning and where I shot my last tom 2 years ago. Crossing my fingers.....<br /><br /><br /><br />

Ive been sitting in my blind since 5:30am. My FIL comes strolling behind me 15 mins later and goes to his blind about 150 yds away. Not more than 20 minutes or so later I hear BOOM coming from his direction. He shot a bird. Ten mins later he comes strolling back with his bird toward my direction and stops in his tracks about 50 yds away and starts calling my name for 5 mins as if he wants me to right over to him. I wave him on. So much for my hunt this morning. Haven't seen squat since then. And I need to start heading back by 9am. Been hearing occasional gobbles in the distance. <br /><br /><br /><br />

I know Teebug. I shot my first bird ever at 11:45am on May 17, 2008. Its just frustrating when you wait months for opening day and getting siked up after seeing tons of birds in the area on camera and then come opening day they disappear. My FIL's dumb move this morning didn't help either. Hoping to head back the following friday on May 10th. Only problem is its my 21 year anniversary on Friday and Mothers day on Sunday. LOL

Spoke to her last night and told her lets spend the weekend upstate for our anniversary. I offered to take her to Tarrapin restaurant in Rhinebeck and a movie. And she said yeah right and then you go hunt on Saturday morning and leave me by myself. I said its only until noon and you can sit in the blind with me if you want. I didnt get an answer...yet! Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm heading up this Friday night for a final Sat/Sun morning hunt with my BIL. Hoping to put one down. Plan on sitting in the same spot my FIL and younger BIL shot theirs last week. I have wall space I need to fill.....

• 2 weeks later...

Heading up this morning for a Sat/Sun morning hunt. You can call it my last hurrah for the season. I hope to put at least one down this weekend. Good luck to anyone else going hunting this weekend. Be safe!

Edited by Deerthug

Heard a gobble earlier and saw a tom about 500 yds away. Im hoping he'll find his way over to my side of the property. But there is a stream, brush and trees between him and my decoys. Whoever said "Patience is a virtue" is full of turkey poop!

Edited by Deerthug