growalot's Contest Thread

• 2 weeks later...

There may be another Jake hitting the dirt soon...Time is getting tight and the hunting isn't showing a lot of results....I have seen one mature bird at camp but couldn't get him to close the distance...I've been hunting with a tore up knee...so them coming to me is a must at this point...here at home I had a hen drop off the roost into my lap...that was exciting...her wing covered the top of the barrel of my gun....and I managed to keep my cool...for she flew down after a bunch had flown down 150yrds directly in front of me....but even though she fed on beetles around me nothing else came in

I moved the cam and then decided to hunt that area this a.m....He!! no..it was so cold out there...in the high 20's...decided to go out for a 10-12 hunt....dumb! dumb! dumb!....saw...heard nothing...checked cam and pulled the card pics are 15yrds in front of my blind....At this point due to time constraints and plenty of jakes around...that one jake may have to hit dirt ...I can't eat the beard and rarely get a fall turkey due to bow hunting...this is the first year I've seen twice as many Jakes while hunting than hens....hhmmm that's interesting...be nice if we could hunt all day ....lol..... they are probably down there right now eating clover....

• Like 1

That is the problem here. The Toms and Jakes fly off the roost every morning , then head south gobbling their heads off .  They roost on posted property with was sold on speculation.  The only thing I can figure is someone might be feeding them.  They don't get back on my farm till late pm..  Was hoping their pattern would change when the foliage came out, but hasn't happen yet. Good luck with Mr Jake.

Thanks....hoping those long beards are still around and wanting to check out the competition...probably won't see a thing in the morning...they are on a very strange rotation this year and roosting all over the place...That's why I chose to hit blinds near the clover and WR plots and stuck the cam there....my limitations on a seek and quick set up are bad with the knee being out...and they are just so quiet...food sources and water are my best options....Good Luck on your hunts as well....

Well the hen showed up at around 6am...fed in the maples...clover plot went over to the WR and the boys never showed so she went back the way she came in....up hill and in the big woods...an hour later and 3 rain showers..... I heard her making the softest yelps I've ever heard...still nothing...at 820 another rain storm hit but it brought it's buddy lightening with it...seeing running from a storm is how I blew out the knee...I was back home by 8:45....it's blk out there now winds are up and the sky is roaring....Ahhh great for the plants lots of charged particles in the air....lol

Wonder where those Toms were? hhmmm

I would've bet money you would have at least heard something this morning with the approaching front....i guess thats turkey hunting!

"i guess thats turkey hunting!"

THAT is a mouth full right there. 

If and when you THINK you have the crazy SOB's HALF figured out, they'll make you look like a damned fool so fast it'll make your head spin.

Good luck tomorrow. :fie:

• Like 1

Congrats, Growie... Things are tough all around this year..

Everybody I know is struggling, including a few guys who are EL PRIMO gobbler slayers most years..

However, we still have over half the season to go..

It ain't over till the fat lady sings...

Thanks...the fun's in trying....the weather turned on a dime this morning .....storm blew through....sun came up and with in an hour it went from 50's to 70's...crazy!...windy all day...Went out to feed the chickens this afternoon...think I found where all the birds were...opposite side of the road tearing up my woods...I think they have the owls spying on me, so as to do the opposite...hahaha ;)

My season is done...I went out to the clover plot blind and took my new good luck charm with me....I heard birds up the hill in the big woods and we talked a bit at 6:30...then nothing at 8:12 I texted our daughter and said I was hunting and bored to tears... hit send and looked up...there were the three jakes making a beeline for the jake decoy...they were right in front of me 12yrds ...but managing no shot for they were on alert...this guy spooked and turned straight away from me in the only opening...head down...Crap!!...the other 2 followed and I thought that's it...but he circled through the dogwood brush and popped out in the clover plot behind the decoy..I shot...28yrds... when he stretched his head to eat

I got home and Mr B said congrats..is it the one that gobbled here at the house...I never heard a gobble...and asked how long ago...for these birds came in from the northeast...he said an hour...dang I believe I managed to call them in from across the road ....still a jake but bigger than the last....so this year one bird at camp and one at home and some great pics and good video...good season all said and done

PS...the spur looks short of a 1/2 in but not...cameras are made for rt handed ppl...I'm left handed...I was having a hard time holding yard stick and clicking shutter while holding camera in rt hand.

• Like 1

Thanks WNYBH.....not in contention for a prize but, getting the rewards of marinated Grilled turkey breast smothered on wild leeks for dinner tonight...hard to beat that... :)

No doubt about that! Im hoping just to get one this year so I can enjoy a similar reward! My daughter and I picked a bunch of leeks this morning while we were out. Gonna go on homemade pizza tonight! Enjoy your turkey!

• Like 1

Half heartedly  one day...long/short...I need all my concentration when shooting...and I am pretty shot rt now......... just managing the pain from the knee injury...Irish hard head...I just need to finish the garden before going to the Dr...having spent 3months a year on crutches the last3yrs. in high school.... then the first semester in college many.many years ago...I'm pretty sure whats coming and I haven't the time to spare...Gave me an excuse to practice though ;)

Good luck with everything this summer.....I'll be back for deer season