Burm's Foodplot 2013 - Soybeans, Summer Pea's, Sorghum & Sunflowers

My old man has been working a bit on the property, yesterday he used his landscape rake for the first time.  This is my small plot raked and a pic of the my dad's toy. I wish I could get there to help, but I have baby #2 coming soon and so much work to get done in my house before that happens (reno'ing a room). 

The rake:

post-2-0-42215000-1366898015_thumb.jpg

The field after it was raked:

post-2-0-44333000-1366898018_thumb.jpg

Its going to get disc'd then raked again.  He is raking the trail going up also to fill in some divits and stuff so we can drive the pickup truck up there with the lime and fert.  The trail is about .7ish of a mile up because of twists and turns. 

I bought this to try this year, if its hammered by sept I'll plant a quick winter plot.  Hopefully it grows nice, seemed to have some decent reviews.  Anyone try this before and or any products from this brand?

post-2-0-12389300-1366898249_thumb.jpg

Evolved Harvest Maximize

The forage plants in Maximize were developed for Spring & Summer to provide a consistent source of nutrients to help establish fawns and provide nutrients bucks need to maximize antler growth. Forage Soybeans and Summer Peas high protein forage in the growing season until frost while the Grain Sorghum and Sunflowers supply a grain source that is available for both deer and game birds well into the Fall.

Forage Soybeans: 
Forage Soybeans are newly developed to produce an abundant supply of the high protein legume leaves that deer will continue to eat all Summer. Unlike regular soybeans developed to produce seeds, these new Forage Soybean plants were developed to keep producing tender leaves that deer cannot resist, they just will not quit growing and can reach 8 feet tall if not eaten. One of the best things about these new Forage Soybean plants is that deer already prefer soybeans over other Summer forage crops and now these new forage varieties will stay sweet by producing new leaves all Summer. 

Grain Sorghum: 
Grain Sorghum is a high volume producer of high quality grain that deer can harvest on an as needed basis. Although deer naturally browse on the foliage, the real benefit is the grain pod produced on the top of the stalk. Deer begin consuming the grain during the Summer as the grain matures and continue to harvest the grain into the Fall months. The high quality grain is a favorite of both deer and game birds (See Game Bird Treat).

Summer Peas: 
Ideal for the warmer seasons, Summer Peas are extremely palatable for deer. This annual is drought tolerant and resilient in regrowth. As part of Maximize, Summer Peas are more resistant to overgrazing and have increased longevity.

Sunflowers: 
Sunflowers provide early season forage and grow 4-6 feet tall making excellent cover for deer in the food plot. These fast growing plants shield slower growing plants until established, while providing stalks for vining plants to grow on. When mature, Sunflowers provide seeds for both deer and game birds to consume.

• Like 1

Ya that's what my turnip plot looks like after raking...nicely done ...I'm using the White tail brand of same types of seed ..power plant

One fall I tried Tecomate  Max attract...you just can't kill the stuff...It's Great!!...I have totally disced it in and planted oats in it...then I just went down 2 days ago and raked the rocks out of it...It rained and dang It's greening up faster than my clover/ alfalfa plot...I'm going to do a spray down...only because of Daisies and plant power plant there as well...but for 24.00 it's lasted one fall another season and now this spring ...can't beat that

Eegads...I shoveled 5 buckets full of rocks today after planting another apple tree...I haven't even put a dent in the rocks I raked up on a 1/2 acre plot!...Got so busy doing that forgot to do my spray down for corn...now I have to get ready to go grocery shopping...If it weren't for the fact I forgot to eat lunch ...I'd still be shoveling....So much to do!!!