Quality affordable scopes? What do you use?

After seeing what WNYBuckHunter had said about the Vortex Optics scopes I did a little research.  I really can not find a negative review about them, they seem to be a solid US company offering a quality scope at somewhat affordable prices.  My old man has a Leupold scope, something I definitely cant afford now nor in the near future.  It's a great scope, i sighted the rifle in last weekend actually.  However, I don't want to spend that kind of money, I cant justify it.

Anyways, I was curious what everyone else uses.  And if they have or have come across the Vortex scopes.

I haven't come across vortex but if there arent any negatives from customer reviews thats a good thing.  I use to be strictly Leupold but know I also use Nikon.  I have 2 nikon scopes and I have no problems with them.  I do have to say that my Leupold varixlll 50mm4.5x14 are amazing scopes.  Clarity is amazing in low light, rain,fog and snow.  The price of these scopes is the only thing I dont like.

I agree.

the leupold scopes are definetly top of the line. I have my eye on a vx-3l for a new rifle i been thinking about ... but its really expensive..

nikon is a good company as well as zeiss and of course swarvoski.. but idk anyone who has enough $$ for a swarvoski..

one thing good about leupold is that its american made..  thats a hard to find quality in anything nowadays.

i think they have a good waranty too.

but i think my next optic will be  a nikon or zeiss... well have to see.

After having a seemingly endless run of scopes go bad over the years, (Bushnell, Simmons, Tasco, Cabelas Pineview (may have goofed on that exact name), and even Redfield (original company), I finally invested in a Leupold VX 111 20 years ago. A chunk of change? Yup, about 350. then. But never a problem after, and they also hold for the tightest zeroing groups I have ever managed. I now own three. If you are depending on the scope for the rifle, I figure it is just as important as the gun itself. Even a used Leupold is warranted the same as a new. I paid 1/2 price for my last 1.5x5 variable buying used. When asked if they could inspect it before I mounted it (expecting to pay for it) I was told to send it in, and they would go through it to make sure it was to specs...for free. I have shot with Nikons also, and found them to be very good quality also, and would certainly consider them too.

Leupold bought the redfield company, and released what is basically a leupold quality optic for $140.. If you like leupold, you should take a hard look at the new red field scopes. I personally do not own one, but thats is because I am out of guns to put optics on right now. But when i scrape the cash together for the .25-06 that I want, ill be topping her off with a redfield.

Leupold for me as well have one on my 300mag and that scope just sucks in the light, however I also have a Bausch and Lomb (sp ?) which is on my 30-06 and that is a great scope as well and I have a Nikon on my 22 hornet which is crystal clear. If I had to buy another scope it would have to be Leupold.

I'm a Leupold guy for years now, but I decided to buy a Redfield Revolution in 4x12-40mm with the Accu-Range reticle for one of my long range .308 rifles.  It's the best $200 I ever spent on a scope.  I've had Redfields in the past, but the new Revolution scopes seem to be much better in my opinion.  The accuracy of the rifle is superb with this scope on it.

I have had several scopes over the past 20 years but the last 10 have been BURRIS. The scope's price from around $190-$1100. They are very durable, great glass and have good low light transmit collecting (95%). Water proof, fog proof and they have a double shock cylinder making them vary reliable for impact resistant. The Scopes that are around the 190 mark are Burris full field 2 and usually come with ether a set of binoculars or a spotting scope I am not say the spotting scope or binoculars are top of the line but they do work and for the most part anything under two hundred yards is vary viewable.

Personally I am looking at getting a black diamond.

i was using the stock mossberg scope that came with my mossberg .270 but it was terrible so i went and bought a nikon prostaff, $179 at gander mountian in silver $159 in matte black,had it bore sighted and with in 4 shots i was on center.  i have always loved nikon's products now i can add scopes to the list

i have had a few scopes in my days

bushnell makes a decent scope and nice binocks

simmons isnt bad either, hell i own 2 of them myself

but so far in my travels with what i can afford

the BSA Panther 6.5-20x44 has yet to fail me, except that time i shot at them darn space aliens

stealing my chickens  8)

post-456-131455297669_thumb.jpg

I like Leupold. Great scopes, a little expensive.

I do have a Burris Fullfield 2 on my Muzzleloader though. And it seems to be a great scope for a mid price range.

My first was a Simmons. Now that scope, I have to say, never failed me. Even after a nice drop down the mountain on to a rock..(sling failed) Dented the windage cap pretty good. Still dead on after that. It was just darn dark to look through compared to better optics.

One scope I have had really good luck with is the Simmons whitetail classic.. it can be obtained in either standard, or mil-dot.. I have a 6.5x-20x mounted on my .218 bee.. and it has proven to be well worth the $130 (after shipping) midway has them on sale all the time. worth a look.