Coyote Impact

I placed a cell camera out on a field edge on July 8 and had multiple deer pass by on the 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th. On the 11th a coyote showed up. Ever since I have had nothing.

I know the camera is still working because I get a daily picture at 9pm.

Yes this is a small sample size but it is an interesting correlation. Hopefully the deer show back up, there was a decent buck (by my standards) who I was looking forward to observing his antler development.

914625dcc97f779d45bfa8c193ca64af.jpg

09db33f5b3e3a2ad937acd29f26cc9fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One coyote shouldn't have an impact, but where there's one, there could be many more or another big predator lurking around that's camera shy.

If you have a spare trail camera, you could make a bait pile in a semi secluded area and see what hits it.

Coyotes and deer have co-existed for a long time and the coyotes don't do much to control the population.  They get the weak and injured ones and some fawns,but obviously not enough to make a dent in the population. 

I was hunting a few years ago and had a coyote under my tree and not 30 mins later a deer came by. The deer went on high alert when it crossed the coyotes scent trail but didn't run or anything. 

Could be your deer are just on a different food source for a couple of days,they tend to do rounds...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JJBat150 said:

I have dozens of pictures from trail cams over the years where deer and coyote have walked the same path within minutes / hours of each other.  

Yes, same with mine.   Occasionally you’ll see one not to far behind and running but overall, most of the year they live in harmony.   

• Like 1

Plenty of guys here that are death on coyotes and that’s fine.   I’m usually that guy although I’ve killed a few as a target of opportunity during deer seasons and will continue to.   

Lots of guys have bad ass predator guns that don’t kill squat with them and that’s ok too.  Killing a couple/few a year isn’t going to put a dent in the population.