Every branch of the U.S. military is struggling to meet its fiscal year 2022 recruiting goals

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/every-branch-us-military-struggling-meet-2022-recruiting-goals-officia-rcna35078

The article states “Last month, Army Chief of Staff Gen. James McConville testified before Congress that only 23% of Americans ages 17-24 are qualified to serve without a waiver to join.”

So the other 77% are that unfit and unable to serve?  What kind of youth is America raising?  Surly not all 77% can possess some real mental and/or physical disability?

The article states “An internal Defense Department survey obtained by NBC News found that only 9% of those young Americans eligible to serve in the military had any inclination to do so, the lowest number since 2007.”

So the 91% have no interest in the defense of the United States of America?  I have been on military operations in a couple countries that were hardly democracies and would frown on such a lack of interest! 

In conclusion, is the “Draft” going to be reinstated to fill the ranks?  I can only image the run on procuring coloring books and teddy bears to calm allot of those draftees!

• Like 1

Let's look at the recent culture.  The Obama administration considered returning soldiers/veterans to be potential domestic terrorists.  They have a diversity goal to meet so that may be an issue fulfilling recruitment.  Drugs like marijuana are being legalized which may disqualify them as I am sure they will want to continue using.  They are being brainwashed that America is a racist imperialist oppressor, basically evil, and who wants to be a part of that. etc etc etc 

• Like 2

Some issues are , so many of the youth today are  weak ,which is so few few  can pass the entrance qualifications ,of  the few strong and capable ones left, joining todays woke military is not for many of them . 

When we have to muster up a true fighting force it won’t be good . 

Historicity the Military also offered  a way up , and sometimes out for many segments of our society . I know many who’s training lead to good jobs,including those  who used the Veterans points on civil service exams to land great Fire and LEO jobs, my wife’s cousin left the AF with a Bachelors,paid for by Uncle Sam then got a Law degree .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

When is the last time soldier's actually fought for freedom? 2nd world War?

We fought a war in Afghanistan to eliminate terrorists that killed more than 3000 people on 9/11/01 and threatened the freedom of everyone in the US.  We said we would never forget.  Obviously many have.

Korea was also fought to free the South Korean people.  Grenada was fought to free captive students.

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

We fought a war in Afghanistan to eliminate terrorists that killed more than 3000 people on 9/11/01 and threatened the freedom of everyone in the US.  We said we would never forget.  Obviously many have.

Korea was also fought to free the South Korean people.  Grenada was fought to free captive students.

And you think I am a sheep,hilarious 

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

And you think I am a sheep,hilarious 

We fought the middle east wars for the oil companies, Putin's dropping gas prices and we sold some of our oil reserves to China to benefit America ?

Asking him to elaborate, is like asking Biden what day it is.

• Haha 3

With all of the issues in the military right now, I can see why recruiting numbers are down. When I enlisted in the USMC it was because I believed they were the most badass fighting branch in the world. (and they are!!) and I truly believed I would be defending US freedom. After 9/11 recruiting numbers went through the roof. but now 20 years later I think a lot of people don't believe we are fighting for US freedom, it looks far too political. When was the last time we actually went in and "won" a war? I'm not saying we don't have the ability to do that, because we do. But now we end up going in and policing a country for decades. All the while troops have to deal with new B.S. policies and restrictions and hope they don't get brought up on charges for offending someone. 

Would I do it again? hell yes! Would I want my kids to join now? I'm not so sure.

• Like 3

Judoka, I’m in total agreement with your post ,if we’re going to fight ,well let’s end it as quick as possible . The wokeness today is killing more then just the military, the FD I retried from has super low moral now , which would have ever seemed possible just a few years ago .

There’s been a number of guys of rank, taken out by a new person filing a complaint over a minor issue that should have been handled in house , but now they  run to some city board who doesn’t want to know your side .

I know two Capts who retired based upon not just age ,health and financial reasons , but didn’t want to work under today’s conditions.

• Like 3

"We've had an all-volunteer force since the end of the Vietnam War in 1975, and we've had our ups and downs before with recruiting. But this one is particularly significant. I mean, there's two real issues here. One is the eligibility pool itself ... and that is those who are qualified to meet the requirements of the United States military. That number is down to 23%. When I was on active duty, we were concerned when it was at 35%. So 75%-plus of American youth are not qualified to be in its military. Why is that? One, for moral reasons, and that's largely crime. If you're committing a crime, we're just not going to take you. The second issue is medical. And this has exploded. We have far too many people who have comorbidity issues at such a young age, largely obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, and other issues that disqualify them. ... And then the third thing — I referred to it as mental, but it's also academics in the sense that we have far too many people ... who can't pass the aptitude test to get inside the United States military. That is an indictment, in my judgment, of our secondary high school education system, because the major reason they can't pass the test is they can't read at the proper level." —General Jack Keane (U.S. Army, Ret.)

• Like 1

Its too bad that the military is struggling, I think they need to focus less on the “woke” concepts and do a better job at telling the story of how the military can benefit people’s lives directly.

I hit my 15yr mark in the USAF next month and don’t regret my choice to enlist and then commission.

Honestly my motivation for joining was for the individual benefits the service could provide and the political factors were not a factor.

What have I gained?

1. Free bachelors degree
2. Free trips to Europe and the Middle East. I did deploy to Iraq but my other deployments were more like vacations.
3. I work with some of the best people in the world, the lifelong friendships are invaluable.
5. Great benefits and a pay check that provides a good life for my family and I.

Hunting Specific
4. Now that I am full time in the NY ANG, I work a panama schedule, with 30 days leave a year that means I am able to have 6 separate week long spans this fall that I am in the woods and not at work.

Bonus if they allow beards! Boy would that be great!

Bottomline: From a 30k foot view the military may not seem like a good choice but if you look closer it can be great. Especially if a unit has great leadership that looks out for their people, that makes all the difference.

• Like 2