A new life in Ogdensburg

Well, it has finally come; I start my new job and life in Ogdensburg, NY,  or, as the locals seem to call it, "the Burg".  Until I find a more permanent residence, my wife and I will be living in a camp on the St. Lawrence. I look forward to working with a new team of people, and evenings of fishing as a way to unwind. Still, I guess I do have a bit of the jitters, leaving the house I built, and raised my family in for the past 18 years. I guess I better go buy some new fishing line. There are bullheads waiting for me. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys! With my daughter married and living in Webster, NY, and my son teaching college in New Hampshire and singing in Boston, this ole house just seemed to big and empty. I worked for the past 21/2years at a teaching hospital, as a psychiatric nurse practitioner, and got tired of the hour drive each way.

My good friend moved to Ogdensburg after listening to all my stories about my time as a kid fishing up there. He loves working for the hospital there, and they in return were so impressed with him they made him Unit Chief. Having practiced along side this doctor for about a year and a half, we became good friends and colleagues. He knows my work style, abilities, and commitment to my patients, and asked me to consider coming to Ogdensburg to join their team. I am very impressed with the quality of people I have met there, and it feels like a real good fit for me. 

I guess it was the right offer, at the right time, and being blessed with a good wife of 34 years, she supports the move. So, Ogdensburg, here we come!

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 3

Thanks guys! With my daughter married and living in Webster, NY, and my son teaching college in New Hampshire and singing in Boston, this ole house just seemed to big and empty. I worked for the past 21/2years at a teaching hospital, as a psychiatric nurse practitioner, and got tired of the hour drive each way.

My good friend moved to Ogdensburg after listening to all my stories about my time as a kid fishing up there. He loves working for the hospital there, and they in return were so impressed with him they made him Unit Chief. Having practiced along side this doctor for about a year and a half, we became good friends and colleagues. He knows my work style, abilities, and commitment to my patients, and asked me to consider coming to Ogdensburg to join their team. I am very impressed with the quality of people I have met there, and it feels like a real good fit for me. 

I guess it was the right offer, at the right time, and being blessed with a good wife of 34 years, she supports the move. So, Ogdensburg, here we come!

Congrats on your move! I was born and bred in OBurg!  Awesome fishing right in town and bib bucks to chase 20 min out of town on state land!   Pm me sometime if you get low on spots to fish or hunt!

Well heck, I expected a hard luck story!  Sounds like a good time for a change, not that you had to, but wanted to.  Your children seem to be in good shape and your job secure and a great wife also.  You are a fortunate man.

Enjoy the next chapter in your book of life!

One thing about NY, anyone can move anywhere and be welcome, we may not dazzle you with a bunch of phony charm and at times we might seem outright cold but all in all I find NY a great place to live, work and play.....

exept for our dmned laws... LOL jk NY is a great state 

Congrats on your move! I was born and bred in OBurg!  Awesome fishing right in town and bib bucks to chase 20 min out of town on state land!   Pm me sometime if you get low on spots to fish or hunt!

+1

caught a 20in. bass on black lake one time... sometimes all that amish land up there can produce good hunting... (they dont usually follow the game laws very close tho)

Once again, thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Lawdwaz; Thankfully, other than being a logistical nightmare, the change is, I think, for the better, And you are right, when it comes to my family and friends, I am fortunate.

Four Season Whitetails; I may take you up on the offer about spots to look for deer. I was thinking I might join the local game club to see if I can meet some like minded people. Perhaps I can interest someone up there in a deer hunt deal, where they take me along to their place, in return for me taking them down here during Souther Tier season. 

sssurfertim; That might be an interesting experience, I've never gone before. I must admit though, I have often said if a deer or rabbit could jump high enough, I would never get one. Anytime I tried shooting clay birds, I really stunk at it. lol!

josephmrtn; I'm with you on the fishing! I'm looking forward to reacquainting myself to a sport I once seemed to live for. 

Geno C; I live in central NY and plan to keep my place for the time being, even though Ill be living in Ogdensburg. I don't plan to sell out here quite yet.

Edited by New York Hillbilly

• 1 month later...

Just an update. The move was tricky, settling in even trickier. But we are staying in a small mobile home on "the river" and the fishing and sunsets are unbelievable! The people here are super friendly. I tried to upload some pictures last week but it didn't work. I'll try again this weekend. In the meantime I just wanted to say we made it here, and so far are happy with the decision.