Son Connected!

Cabin Fever

Thanks to a lot of early morning trips to camp over the past 3-4 weeks, I was able to come up with a good game plan for taking my son out today. The first gobbler sounded off ~80 yards from us, just about to the minute, when he's started in previous mornings. My son has only killed one other turkey, so he was pretty excited! I responded with some soft tree yelps. He got fired up! A red tailed hawk flew into the area and called and 4 gobblers went nuts ~80 yards away! We were pumped! Anyway, they flew down and started milling towards our decoys (hens), gobbling every now and then. The 4 jakes stopped at 35 yards and I wasn't positive if they were going to come in or follow the hen away that was with them. All of a sudden, I looked out the window of the blind to my right, and another hen was walking by 2 yards from the blind heading to the decoys (just about could have reached out and pet her, as she was so close! LOL)! Once the jakes saw this other hen going to the decoys, they walked straight in! Before we knew it, the jakes were ~10 yards from the blind, when I remembered to give my son the green light to shoot!

He shot, the turkey dropped, and the next thing I knew, I was sitting in the WIDE OPEN!! I glanced over at my son and realized that the 3 1/2" mag tipped him over backwards in his stool (we were on a small incline anyway) and since the gun barrel was sticking out the window of the blind, it tipped the blind over backwards with him, so it went right over my head!!  :biggrin:  We laughed our heads off! A hunt to remember!!!  B)

Had a good year so far, as I called in a jake for my daughter during the youth season and she connected on her first!

100_2972_zpsb1e56364.jpg

100_2976_zpsb839840d.jpg

• Like 4

Phenomenal!!

This is what hunting is all about! Passing the torch.

The smiles on your daughter's and son's face tells it all!

Bet you're feeling pretty proud too!

Hope this lucky skilled streak carries on thru the fall hunting with them!

Oh yeah, one more hysterical thing that happened in the heat of the moment! I had fishing line attached to my one bobbing head decoy, so I could give it a little twitch from the blind once in a while, to make it move. I have the other end of line tied to a small fishing reel that I had in the blind. After I realized that my son fell over backwards after the shot and took the blind with him, I jumped up to make sure the jake wasn't going anywhere. Well, I looked and saw ANOTHER turkey laying on the ground "twitching"!!! My eyes about popped out of my head and terror struck me!! I almost had a heart attack and fell over!! Then, I looked a little closer and realized it was my damn bobble head decoy that was ripped out of the ground when the blind flipped over!! My son was still trying to get on his feet and was moving the blind, causing the decoy to twitch and the head to shake!!!  :biggrin:  Boy was I ever relieved!!!!!! When my son finally got up and walked over to me, he said, "OMG Dad, there's another turkey laying there and it's still moving!!!" Well, when he walked over to me, he didn't realize he got tangled in the fishing line, and was making the decoy move and twitch!!   :biggrin:  We got quite a laugh out of that too!!!!