Archery Season is going to be a short one

fasteddie

Archery Season is going to be a short one for me . Tentatively I am scheduled for knee replacement October 6 . That will give me a couple days of Bow and then nothing for 6 weeks . Possibly nothing for the balance of the year . Had x-rays taken today and an ultra sound on my leg tomorrow to check for blood clots . It's rough getting old but it sure beats the alternative . 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Archery Season is going to be a short one for me . Tentatively I am scheduled for knee replacement October 6 . That will give me a couple days of Bow and then nothing for 6 weeks . Possibly nothing for the balance of the year . Had x-rays taken today and an ultra sound on my leg tomorrow to check for blood clots . It's rough getting old but it sure beats the alternative . 

I don't know Eddie, you're a tough cookie and I'd put money on you tagging a deer this fall come hell or high water. 

• Like 3

In 2013 I had a steel plate and 7 screws put in my left knee. I couldn’t put weight on that leg for 8 weeks. I improvised my crutches so they would sink in the mud and off I went. Get a chair and put it under a pine. You will probably feel good enough right around the rut! 

Good luck Eddie. My mom just got her second one done 12 days ago...she's already getting around pretty good with just a cane and stopped her pain meds 2 days ago. I recall her driving 4 weeks after her first one being done .... you got this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure there's a member or two that would be happy to help you at any of your hunting spots drag one out & load it, that is if your Honda or sons can't get to it for some reason. 

Hunt from a ground blind and you'll be fine.

• Like 2

my old man 3 yrs ago had surgery for several issues 3 weeks before gun openere ,doctors orders no hunting , couldnt go to camp but coming opening day he snuck out behind his house  without the wifes knowledge whacked a 3 pt 1st half hr....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hey I had my 2nd knee replacement on April 26th and up and walking in 2 hours after. it's not fun but they will get you up and moving. What I will tell you is do what the doctor tells you and no short cuts. PT is very important. As for PT I like the idea of paying someone to torcher me. Good luck

I don't go back to work till after Labor day it sucks I can't go back with a restriction.

• Like 1

I agree with others, back in my younger years I took a fall on November 4th tearing my ACL, MCL, PCL, and meniscus in my knee.  Two surgeries later, crutches, an ATV, and some determination and I was back out for the first week of gun season.  You can do it, and knee replacement surgery has come a long way.

11 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Can you push the date back till December or January? My Grandfather was a big golfer, so he had all 4 hips replacements done in the winter every year so it wouldn't ruin his season.

10 hours ago, Larry said:

Where are you having it done 

Rochester . Not sure where yet . Possibly Highland Hospital . I usually have procedures there due to A-Fib , etc . I could have had surgery done earlier but we are going to Ireland in September and I don't want to mess that up as we wanted to do that trip a couple years ago . Got too many things coming up in the Fall and want the procedure done before the snow falls . I will just have to limp around for a couple more months . I had a partial replacement in my left knee done several years ago . Physical Therapy was a key in recovery . I healed quickly and that knee is fine . As for going bow hunting too early after surgery , I would probably pass as I could screw things up walking on un-even ground . There is always gun season . I didn't get to be 80 by being too foolish . 

47 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I could have had surgery done earlier but we are going to Ireland in September and I don't want to mess that up as we wanted to do that trip a couple years ago . Got too many things coming up in the Fall and want the procedure done before the snow falls . I will just have to limp around for a couple more months .

From what hear drinking lots of Irish beer is like a  " Cure All " . You might not even need surgery by the time you get back .  :) Drink lots of that " medicine " and have a safe trip Eddie !  :drinks:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I was at my youngest son's Saturday for dinner . He showed me 3 different stands that I could use on opening day . I picked the one in a pine tree . I can ride his ATV to the stand . Whether I get a shot or not , at least I will get out and get it out of my system . He offered to have me stay over and hunt 2 days . I think I will pass on that as after hunting morning and afternoon , I am pretty well whipped . Not young any more .

As for postponing my knee replacement , I have already done that so I can make the trip to Ireland . My daily pain runs between a 7 - 8 most of the time . 

• Like 1