Offly quiet

fadetoblack188

They were sounding off pretty good. I passed on another Jake at about 7.A little while later nice tom out in a field with 3 hens. He wouldn't budge. I think he was the same bird that answered me 10 mins. before I spotted him.  Had to leave early to help my brother (pissed) ..... hitting them hard tomorrow. Good luck.

Edited by ants

this was my first day out this year.

Not a single gobble by me in the fall or today.

Did call in one hen around 9:30.  She clucked around 9:00 briefly and went quiet.

Before then the woods was quiet except for a couple small birds, a couple bees and of course those pesky little flies.  I even heard a spider tipping over a dry leaf at my feet.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who got skunked and haven't heard anything. I have been two days and nothing! I only saw 3 hens yesterday. I didn't hear any shots from neighboring properties either. I don't understand how I can go from seeing 50 birds in one flock at the end of deer season, see birds all winter long and now nothing. I did get a surprise this morning from a Bear at about 60 yards that came through at 6:30. We don't see many of those here in 6R. I took a picture of a print I found in the cornfield but I don't think it was made by same bear I saw. This track was from what I think was a bigger bear.

Not having any experience with bears, I can't really judge the size of the one I saw. It didn't look all that big.

Mike

Typical of the reports I have been getting from my buddies, PLUS my own experiences..

Birds are gobbling damn little, and most of them shut up as soon as they hit the ground.

Typical behavior of henned up gobblers..Things will improve later in the month..

In a "normal" weather year like this, in 40 years of gobbler hunting, I have had my best luck around mid-month...

Same here. Mid month or ive had alot of luck later in the morning. Not sure if alot og guys are pullin out around 8 or what but from what im hearing is later in the morning they have been firing up. Probably because the hens go to nest and the gobblers get lonely :)

Have not been out once yet this year. But I can tell you the woods all around my house have been really... really quiet all spring long which is unusual. We always have 3 to 4 birds working the ridge above me this time of the year. I do know they are out there, but man they are tight lipped this season.