Offly quiet

fadetoblack188

Pretty quiet again this morning.  Had the woods to myself yesterday. Today there were a couple other hunters around - not one shot or gobble.

Heard one bird purring nearby twice and it shut up.

Only thing I started calling in was another hunter walking on the woods road below me - sounded like a pot call, so I went quiet.  After he stopped for a couple minutes, I let loose a loud bad crow call in his direction to shoo him off.  He got the picture.

Here is a picture of the bird I saw yesterday:

post-3276-0-39765100-1367775438_thumb.jp

Edited by Two Track
  • Like 1

Just like I like it, all alone on a Sunday morning. Two gobblers woke up the woods at 5:20. Got some awesome audio and had them commit and heading my way. Closed the distance quickly. Nice tom got to within 50 yd, didn't like something in my set of 1 feeding hen and 1 strutting jake, headed away. The older bird named Brusher( he's 4), was behind with a very few deep gobbles, then he headed for the deeper woods. No shot but still very productive as I seen 2 big deer with 10" racks

Some gobbling early on (kind of far off) At around 8 I set up on the edge of a field. started calling. ..10 or 15 min later I hear wicked yelping and clucking from across the field. The duration of the yelps seemed way too long so I thought it was another hunter. I was saying to myself "this @#$%@!! is calling way too much. Sure enough, around 10 min later, over a little knoll in the field comes a hen yelping her head off. I figured that she calls better than me so I let her have at it. She would scratch, peck yelp...scratch, peck yelp all while walking towards me. After a few min I caught movement on the other side of the field, maybe 150 yds straight across from me. It was 2 Toms sparing, while the stink'n hen kept yelping away. The Toms  never came in but the hen got within 3 or 4 paces of me!!!I thought for sure that the Toms would be horned up enough to work their way over to the hen and give me a shot but no. The hen moved into the woods to my right and the Elton John type Toms disappeared over the knoll. It was still cool. Thats hunting.

• Like 1