The Itch

heavuser

Usually mid August or so,  but we have our daughters wedding the first week of August, then Alaska the last week and first week,of September.
That works well for staring to shoot a few arrows mid September , I did just put ,my two cameras out .
The summers for the pool , just sold the boat .

I know the mail has been slow but I should have received the invite by now don't ya think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I know the mail has been slow but I should have received the invite by now don't ya think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sorry our daughter handled everything . Aug 6th , we booked rooms at the downtown Hyatt and have limo service , to the venue . Each Benjamin you give gets your one day in one of my stands ( non rut ) and a 12 pack of that grapefruit beer .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

finished my ladder stand in heat yesterday. I've never put in a ladder stand and it took me longer than my hang ons lol, but now I have a handle on them. This tree is super slanted and it will be a gun only stand so it was really my only option. Had to cut a big limb while up there that was a little puckering but went ok. Got poison ivy in the process. Then sprayed my acre fall plot. Had a nozzle bust in the process so that was fun.

All in all I'm feeling good. August gets real crazy for me when the kids start football and I don't like feeling pressured. Will have maybe 1 more stand to work on and the annual trimming, plus the plots. As hot as it is, it still helps scratch that itch. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I ran (literally) in and out to hang a cam last night. The woods are fit for neither man nor beast in this heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You got that right.  I ran outside, to the new camper, to crank up the roof top AC unit.  I waited about a half hour (until it got down to 75 in there) before I went back in it to do a little work.     

I can take the cold a lot better than the heat which is why the Holiday ML season is my new favorite time to hunt deer, just edging out the peak rut two week crossbow season.

Edited by wolc123

I've been thinking about it a lot but that's about it. Between the heat and the mosquito population at our land its tough to do anything in the woods right now. 

I do have to get off my butt and get my daughter out shooting her .243 so she's ready for that early September season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I ran (literally) in and out to hang a cam last night. The woods are fit for neither man nor beast in this heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Deer in summer coats and you're in shorts and a tank top. Both of you will be just fine.

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I actually wore pants this time, my legs look like I had a weedwacker fight with @Mowin and his entire crew

my arms and legs look the same. I cut up some wood the other day too that was covered in briars. Just hugging the tree trying to get the ratchet strap roughed my arms up good too. 

cold beers never taste as good as they do after that kinda work though. 

12 minutes ago, Belo said:

my arms and legs look the same. I cut up some wood the other day too that was covered in briars. Just hugging the tree trying to get the ratchet strap roughed my arms up good too. 

thats a fact

3 hours ago, Moho81 said:

I've been thinking about it a lot but that's about it. Between the heat and the mosquito population at our land its tough to do anything in the woods right now. 

I do have to get off my butt and get my daughter out shooting her .243 so she's ready for that early September season. 

Are you reloading for that gun?

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Just hugging the tree trying to get the ratchet strap roughed my arms up good too. 

I will often ,especially on large trees, cut a sapling and use that to move the strap around the trunk , from the ground . Or my pole saw if I have it along . I only use ladders , I think right now 8 I’m not 100% without counting , not moving any this year , not sure if I could find a couple .

My magic bean field ,has the best beans I’ve seen in the area right now , killed a lot of bucks there, a handful of tens . Couple weeks back, before the rain .

BDC9C2EA-E481-4FC2-962C-E04022516759.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/20/2022 at 7:17 PM, fasteddie said:

Went out and shot 15 arrows . 10 at 10 yards and 5 at 20 yards . Felt good . It was only 84 degrees out .

Been shooting 10-12 a day since March. Not much, but enough. Got the itch.

17 hours ago, Belo said:

I am in the same boat, but started the process of a big $ sleeve on my left arm. Sessions are in NYC. I'd like to get a leg done too but I don't think I can given what my legs look like doing this stuff each year. As it is now, I'm sporting a forearm band with some rigged up briar proof denim on it.

I normally look like a torture victim at the end of these late summer prep days.

16 hours ago, Nomad said:

I will often ,especially on large trees, cut a sapling and use that to move the strap around the trunk , from the ground . Or my pole saw if I have it along . I only use ladders , I think right now 8 I’m not 100% without counting , not moving any this year , not sure if I could find a couple .

My magic bean field ,has the best beans I’ve seen in the area right now , killed a lot of bucks there, a handful of tens . Couple weeks back, before the rain .

BDC9C2EA-E481-4FC2-962C-E04022516759.jpeg

those look amazing!

This tree was just one of those really funky and large trees. I couldn't even use the 6' strap that came with the stand, I had to use an 8'. I used a 15' extension because it's a spot i can drive my truck too and it just made it safer and easier to install and I still had a heck of time tossing the strap between hands lol. I think i've used pole saws in the deep woods too. Harder with hang ons as you're trying to limit all the climbing up and down.

52 minutes ago, phade said:

I am in the same boat, but started the process of a big $ sleeve on my left arm. Sessions are in NYC. I'd like to get a leg done too but I don't think I can given what my legs look like doing this stuff each year. As it is now, I'm sporting a forearm band with some rigged up briar proof denim on it.

I normally look like a torture victim at the end of these late summer prep days.

my wife always give me a hard time because it looks like I fought off a bunch of cats, but they're superficial and heal quick. It's just too hot for a long sleeve, which is why I try and do the wood cutting farm work in the winter. I can easily wear pants, but long sleeves are a no go. 

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

my wife always give me a hard time because it looks like I fought off a bunch of cats, but they're superficial and heal quick. It's just too hot for a long sleeve, which is why I try and do the wood cutting farm work in the winter. I can easily wear pants, but long sleeves are a no go. 

Same, I don't typically wear long sleeves and pants when doing summer work. That said, we do now on one of our farms in Ohio because of the tick population there. We take for granted how they're not as prevalent in some of our areas here. Quite a few places we've never seen one on us, here.

Otherwise, shorts and shirt and just getting stuff done.

• Like 1