2022 DMP's

steve863

8P Just got 1 high the rest none. My neighbor is from Maryland originally. At least 6 hunters come up from there every year without a chance to get a doe permit. It doesn't stop them from coming. They put so much into the land it's a shame. I guess a reason for everything. 

17 minutes ago, heavuser said:

Excuse my ignorance here, semi new to the hunt. 

Can I apply for a DMP tag when purchase my doe tags on August 1st? There is no way to apply for DMP before August 1st, correct?

When you purchase your hunting license AFTER August 1st, request a DMP at that time. They will ask you what WMU you would like. And if you'd like a second choice in that WMU or a different one. There is a $10 fee to apply that is non refundable.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Just noticed .... although 4H is " Low " unlike years past there is no PP Req. !   Interesting !

Good catch. I missed that. You're right, In years past, it would require a PP.

Having a PP is always better than not, for most of us guys.

• Like 2

Mine is low again 9w.. makes no sense..  oh well. Landowner tag and a few guys have pp from last year.  Still have dec numbers way off.. but  apparently there are no deer and they have to raise population...  ill just get em with my vehicles i guess.

• Like 3

I am glad to see that 9F has high chances again this year.  I hope to fill at least one dmp, during the early September antlerless gun season.  I have a mature doe picked out.  She’s been chewing off my late silver-queen sweetcorn, soon after it sprouted.  Maybe she will taste like that, which has always been my favorite variety of sweetcorn.  

I am pretty certain that it will be warm again, like it was last year, and I only have room for one in my deer fridge.  That means I will need to wait until the second weekend of that season to fill my second, first round dmp tag.  

I will go back for the two second round tags, which also have high chances in 9F.  I will definitely save one of those (2) for the Holiday ML season.  That is my new favorite season.  There is nothing quite like being able to hunt deer on paid vacation days.  

6 hours ago, G-Man said:

Mine is low again 9w.. makes no sense..  oh well. Landowner tag and a few guys have pp from last year.  Still have dec numbers way off.. but  apparently there are no deer and they have to raise population...  ill just get em with my vehicles i guess.

I always wonder how accurate the DEC numbers are.  I hunt not far from you in 9T and I am amazed at how many people in that area either don't report their harvest or shoot whatever they want regardless of whether they have a tag or not.  I can't imagine it's much different anywhere else.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Caveman said:

I always wonder how accurate the DEC numbers are.  I hunt not far from you in 9T and I am amazed at how many people in that area either don't report their harvest or shoot whatever they want regardless of whether they have a tag or not.  I can't imagine it's much different anywhere else.  

Yep i agree  . Every year when they would post take per town. My place alone would be 10% or more of town take.. ( using their numbers)  no way that should be posssible in a 5x 7 sq mile town....

How does it work if you select the same WMU for both DMPs? Does it count as two drawings with the same odds?
Depends on the unit. It lists on the website the odds of selection for first and second. Some offer no second selection for that unit Best to check on the site for that specific unit.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, PraiseDiana said:

How does it work if you select the same WMU for both DMPs? Does it count as two drawings with the same odds?

No, look at the DEC website mentioned above.  In some WMUs, for example, a PP is required to have a chance of drawing your first DMP and there is no chance of drawing a second DMP.  So, it depends on the WMU.  In some WMUs the odds are HIGH for both permits and they always even have extra DMPs that you can apply for at a later date.

This will be season 11 for me and the first 8 years I averaged 5 harvests each season (a few times 3 and a few times 7 deer) and I always wanted all 4 DMPs.   Year 9 was when my late wife was sick.  Limited my hunting and only took my 2 bucks - one in archery and  one in regular seasons.  Last year I was so busy that I only hunted 4 times and didn't harvest anything although came close on a bruiser twice in archery - only 1 gun hunt.  I have no desire to kill that many deer anymore.   The two buck tags and one doe will be plenty.  I may apply for the first two DMPs just in case a guest needs one, but have no plans on using them myself.  I guess that blood thirst and desire for tons of venison is gone.  lol  I still hope to start getting back out more regularly though.

• Like 5