Curious - non ethanol gas

fasteddie

I use to chuckle when I saw someone lift the gas hose thinking they were draining the hose . Nothing goes past the nozzle once you click it off . Then I thought that same hose is used for regular and ethanol so whatever regular gas is in the hose itself , is going to come out first when you switch over to non ethanol . So , possibly a half gallon of regular gas is going into your non ethanol gas tank . So , now when I get my non ethanol gas , I put the 1st half gallon in my car and then pump the non ethanol into my gas can . Anyone else do this ?

Sorry , but I was bored .........

Thought about that my self a while back . Watching a guy fill 2 gallons into a gas can then stopping and switching to e 85 to fill his car . I get non ethanol gas from a dedicated pump. I still ad stabul .I pay more as its a small private garage but I know what I'm getting... as long as he is honest. I hope.

Never thought about that, but I also get my non ethanol gas from a dedicated pump. 

If I ever do get it from a multi pump, I like your idea of purging the gas before putting it in a dedicated non ethanol can. 

24 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I use to chuckle when I saw someone lift the gas hose thinking they were draining the hose . Nothing goes past the nozzle once you click it off . Then I thought that same hose is used for regular and ethanol so whatever regular gas is in the hose itself , is going to come out first when you switch over to non ethanol . So , possibly a half gallon of regular gas is going into your non ethanol gas tank . So , now when I get my non ethanol gas , I put the 1st half gallon in my car and then pump the non ethanol into my gas can . Anyone else do this ?

I do similar.  I pump a gallon of ethanol free into my car, to purge the line and nozzle, then fill the can.  After that, I reinsert my card, and fill the car up the rest of the way with the “cheap” stuff.  

I have been doing that for about 10 years for about (10) small engines, none of which had given me any fuel problems during that period.  In my opinion, the ethanol free gas is well worth the cost for seldom used engines.

I use the cheap stuff in our automobiles, my old farm tractor, and two riding lawnmowers.  Chainsaws, boat motors, generator, wood splitter, and power washer get the ethanol free stuff. 

• Like 1

I have a working knowledge of retail fuel dispensers(like 25 years worth). The amount left in the hose and internal plumbing of the unit should not effect the ethanol content of the fuel you are dispensing into your vehicle/boat/snowmobile/motorcycle. The only time it might have an effect is if you are dispensing a very small amount into like an auger or something that has a very small gas tank. And Dave you are correct, no dispensed fuel is 100% what is advertised on the dispenser. There are just to many variables, pipelines, delivery vehicles etc. The fuel has to meet certain parameters but is never 100%. The fuel you get at any retail fueling outfit even has trace amounts of water in it (gasp). The Dept. of Commerce also lab tests the fuel at most sites for octane rating and ethanol content fairly regularly.

i coped the above from elsewhere . But I have also worked for a mechanical contractor that worked just for the oil companies, from running pipelines to building gas stations . There are so many variables from start to end user , like all Gas coming up,here in one pipeline  , oil companies rent space in it and air blocks keep things “ separate “nothing you buy is 100% what you think it is . 

Those three octane choices on dispenser? There’s only two , the middle one , the dispenser blends from the other two . Nothing in the system is exact , and not enough to matter .

Time to,go shoot a few hundred rounds !

On 7/24/2022 at 3:54 PM, fasteddie said:

But , when you shut the pump off , and squeeze the handle , lift the hose, you can drain the fuel left in the hose 

4 hours ago, luberhill said:

But , when you shut the pump off , and squeeze the handle , lift the hose, you can drain the fuel left in the hose 

Not on any of the gas pumps that I have access to . I have seen people try it .