Hello from Watertown

Rick44

Just sayn hi from Watertown NY. I am a new bow hunter as well as my son 13...I am learning and teaching at the same time...my father never taught me so I'm learning and teaching my son to...any info and help will be great....just got my sons hunter safety and we went through the bow hunter class together,making memories :).....I have a Mathews LX lefty set at 52lb draw weight,27'' draw length..right handed but left eye dominate,learned to shoot lefty a long time ago....my son 13 has a Parker buckshot 38 lb draw weight and 26'' draw length,right handed....

I know,I go to Akins Archery myself and have a membership at Watertown Sportsman inc. they have a pistol,rifle and archery range....just had to have my bow tuned and I'm against having it done at Gander Mtn...they just blew up a members cam..it was adjusted there by a non archery tech and now they won't make it right...getting ready to build myself and my son tree stands,with side rails...going to hunt in Carthage on father n laws land...hope to find some state land close by to hunt also..

def. I completely agree,I'm also having to build up my neck muscles,I had surgery a year ago,had 3 disks removed and a plate in my neck,disk fusion surgery,but its going very well..I started at 45 lbs draw and up to 52 lbs now with no problems....

• wheres atkins archery and why is it bad?

He is located in Burrville and I'll let you figure that out the rest for yourself.

The unfortunate thing is we only have two pro shops in all of northeast NY (not including the box stores)

You may want to try Ferari's in Carthage or drive up north to Northwoods in Potsdam.  But that is up to you.

I'm going to take a look at a shop near Pulaski called Ed's and see what that is like.

Edited by RangerClay

Welcom! I live a little north of you in Sommerville NY. Tons of stateland in our area. I too am looking forward to continue to develop my son as an archery hunter. He is only 11 now. But through him i have found that fun and excitmenet once again in the "smaller"" things, or atleast things that i have gotten away from over the years. Things like teaching weapon safety and learning how to shoot to learning how to properly sight in a rifle scope. Skeet shooting. Looking forward to taking him small game hunting and rekindling that flame from years ago.

• 2 months later...

Hello Rick...Welcome to the site...Great information from other NYers.  I don't live near you but I try to get up in that area at least once a year to snowshoe hare hunt on Fort Drum.  Lots of great looking forests up your way!  Good luck this season!