Land permission

deerpassion

Well, had a decent 1st season up here on public land , but I see some beautiful property that's naggin at me... Would love to hear some of ur typical speils when knocking on a new door for the first time ... Back home public land is literally the only option ... I'm familiar with the basics, take care of the land owner with some meat if they'd like it, a little something around the holidays, and help around the farm... I have NO problem with any a that but the helping out part , my time is well SPOKEN for even when I'm in stand lol... PT grad school is intense... So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Would love to kill a good NY buck before my schooling is up n I'm outa here ... Phade I'm sorry we couldn't meet up before last season , would have liked to work something out , just didn't know what to expect from school at that time...

Edited by deerpassion

I just moved to a new area that's 2 hours away from all my other spots and wanted to find some closer spots. Obviously, gas cost was an issue and who wants to travel two hours to. Scout/hunt. A buddy and myself decided to look at the tax map and pick a few to ask, we ended up knocking on 10 or so doors. I sell cars for a living so I did most of the talking. I would say:<br />"Hello my name is _____, I recently moved to the area and I'm looking for a place to hunt turkeys this coming season. Would you mind if we hunted on your property?" <br />We couldn't get in touch with 6 of the people we tried to track down, 1 "I'm sorry but we hunt our own property", 1 if you had stopped by sooner I would have let you and 2 people said yes. One of the guys even offered up deer season to us. The other we didn't ask but we plan on asking. <br /><br />After get permission we asked where to park and if we would run into any other hunters. They both appreciated us asking those questions. We ended up BSing with both land owners for a while too. Hope you have some luck!

I just moved to a new area that's 2 hours away from all my other spots and wanted to find some closer spots. Obviously, gas cost was an issue and who wants to travel two hours to. Scout/hunt. A buddy and myself decided to look at the tax map and pick a few to ask, we ended up knocking on 10 or so doors. I sell cars for a living so I did most of the talking. I would say:<br />"Hello my name is _____, I recently moved to the area and I'm looking for a place to hunt turkeys this coming season. Would you mind if we hunted on your property?" <br />We couldn't get in touch with 6 of the people we tried to track down, 1 "I'm sorry but we hunt our own property", 1 if you had stopped by sooner I would have let you and 2 people said yes. One of the guys even offered up deer season to us. The other we didn't ask but we plan on asking. <br /><br />After get permission we asked where to park and if we would run into any other hunters. They both appreciated us asking those questions. We ended up BSing with both land owners for a while too. Hope you have some luck!

sounds like a success , I'm sure the whole just moving thing and I'm in grad school thing would help big time .. Just hate askin people for things , just something I have to butch up n get over ... Thanks for sharing!

If it is a farm a nice ice braker is first obtaining permission for a little woodchuck hunting. That has a benefit to the farmer and it may open the doors to more seasons once they see how responsible you are.

oh ya! Never hunted wood chucks but I'm open to any small game Huntin.. Anything that extends my time in the woods ... Thks

x2 on the woodchuck hunting. You might have missed out on turkey this year but I've realized that after you get permission to hunt turkeys for a year or two landowners usually don't have a problem with you hunting deer. Some of my best hunting grounds were obtained by asking to hunt grouse of all things, after deer season ended. Most people don't have a problem with you hunting birds on their property. Bird hunting often leads to bigger things.

The best way I've found to to get permission is knock on the neighbors door, that's to say, once I get permission on one farm try asking for permission on the neighboring properties. You'll have a common bond with your new prospect (if the neighbors like each other!) and you'll be prequalified and vouched for by the first landowner. The averages are low but once you get a seed planted in an area and gain permission, its easy to establish a common bond with the next prospect and expanding your hunting area isn't all that hard. ALWAYS have a map with you so they can draw boundries where you can and can't go.

Find a mentor that'll share some of his spots with you. Ask EVERYONE that you think has huntable acreage if you can have permission. Probably most important is when you have a potential prospect is to find a common bond to talk about. Be it you both drive Ford pickups, both like John Deere tractors, you both are really pressed for time so you won't be around much . . . you get the idea. I've found that being well spoken is really a bonus for establishing a rapport and gaining permission. If you get turned down, ask the person if they know anyone that might be agreeable to you hunting their property.

Remember, yes you are asking for something, a small favor really, but MOST of all you are selling yourself as a responsible sportsman and person of good character. Its not that hard if you are! Good luck.

Edited by Enigma

Yea we picked up two farms. One is 200ish acres and the other just a touch smaller. Both have streams that run through them. One still has standing corn that the deer and turkey have been in like crazy. We go two pretty nice pieces, hopefully we can hunt them for a while.

Here is a little deal that I have used for several years with success, I went to Staples and purchased some blank business card's, and filled them out on my computer with my name, address, telephone number. On the back of the card I list several of the organizations that I actively belong to. Such as N.R.A., local Gun clubs, BASS, N.W.T.F. Church. You would be amazed on some of the good comments that I have received, and permission to hunt on posted land. Almost every land owner I have approached has stated that it is nice to know who they are talking to, other then just a name.

• Like 1

I think if you're going to start nocking on doors, it may be time to take a new approach. Most landowners who own any sizeable/huntable chunk of property have most likely already granted access to a select few family members and close friends exclusively, and that's usually where it ends...at least that seems to be the way it works around here lately.., and I'm pretty sure, not to terribly far from me. The whole song and dance of the righteous, well intentioned hunter asking permission has gone the way of the dinosaur when it comes to obtaining rights IMO. Nobody is going to roll out the welcome mat because they feel sorry their neighbors have locked you out.

Finding another reason besides hunting to obtain access may be a little more time consuming to reach the main goal and at least get your foot in the door, but more effective in the long run. I'll use shed hunting, photography, and simply hiking to warm up to a potential owner willing to grant access by a subtler means. With a camera around my neck, I've snapped a few pics of an elderly ladies flowers from the road, and then approached her to see if she'd allow me to get closer to her "amazing garden" of tulips and dandellions,lol!

Sometimes you just need to get past the boarder of posted signs along the roadfront just for the sake of opening the door to a fresh new conversation. She had most likely never been confronted with this approach before, therefore was not prepared to refuse my request, and quite honestly... I think she enjoyed the chatter.

Deceptive....?...perhaps..

Effective..?.. Most deffinately!

I plucked 2 antlers out of her 64 acres last shed season, and she thought it was the coolest thing when I showed them to her and explained to her how this deer was still alive and well.

I still haven't asked to hunt here.... but the incredible photo shoots of tiger lillies and marigolds to come, has me eager to show my face again and prepare for rejection when the subject finally does come up!

• Like 2

Here is a little deal that I have used for several years with success, I went to Staples and purchased some blank business card's, and filled them out on my computer with my name, address, telephone number. On the back of the card I list several of the organizations that I actively belong to. Such as N.R.A., local Gun clubs, BASS, N.W.T.F. Church. You would be amazed on some of the good comments that I have received, and permission to hunt on posted land. Almost every land owner I have approached has stated that it is nice to know who they are talking to, other then just a name.

Love this idea. I'm stealing it hope you don't mind.