Official 2022 Fall Plots Thread

We have a few threads going on but thought maybe one fall plots chit chat kinda thread would be nice. We can keep it running with updates as we all progress. I'll be honest I'm nervous as heck about the next few weeks as it's already super dry and nothing looks like rain for the near future. Pair that with some vacations and work this year could be dicey.

I sprayed last week on a 1 acre plot that I intend to do half beets and greens and half winter greens. 

What are you planting for the fall and when do you typically target getting seed in the ground? My goal is before 8/20 and believe it or not that's just 3 weeks away!

• Like 1

Hopefully the heat breaks and we have a couple of cool weekends. This weekend I am cutting trails and will get everything in prep to tackle planting the weekend after. This Sat looks great and am Hoping it's not 90 degrees next weekend. I have a backup weekend for Aug 12-14 but don't really want to go later than that .

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sure , got several hundred acres of beans , and several hundred of corn in . A few hundred more of a Timothy , clover and the like . Well not me , the farmer, that’s even better . I actually collect rent from him planting it ! 

A58247E1-760C-48CD-8642-495A684159E5.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, bigpaul said:

I rolled my standing winter rye in early June and planted my pumpkins in it. It kept the weeds down. I slung some Antler King Slam Dunk into the dead rye and that came in nice also.

FFB1232F-0DDD-4B96-A23B-DCBCC0D567EA.jpeg

961AD78B-06CC-48B8-B671-ECD281F79291.jpeg

2890C116-CF94-4DD6-BA8C-CDE162AE1C24.jpeg

07513A10-90FE-4675-BBCC-EEB7B0458920.jpeg

No till is really so awesome. And so beneficial as well. Good work man! 

• Like 1

I sprayed gly on a brand new "Kill PLot" on July 4th, and sprayed again on July 21 To kill off the rest and or new weeds.. I seeded into it and rolled in the seed. The standing vegetation wasnt dead enough to get the results I desired but this is more of an early experiment to see how easy it can be to get these seeds to pop.. But there is a tremendous amount of decomposing matter from previous years, this soil has to be in decent shape. holding a ton of moisture as well. The idea of a double spray or even a triple spray is it will kill of the vegetation and it slightly opens and exposes soil to allow the seed to contact, only requiring a little moisture for germination. A very easy process. There was heavy rain in the forecast for the week so I tried it.. IF it doesn't germinate I will till it all under with the tractor... Pic is from right after rainfall, will check in a week or two and make final decision. This was planted for my wife really as I placed a Muddy Ladder to the left of this pic, 10 yards off the plot. This plot has a big brassica blend as well, rutabaga, Turnips, Collards, Hybrid forage Brassica, Radish, with Balansa, Berseem and Crimson clovers too.. This will get an over seeding of a high Tonnage perennial blend in September/October and be converted to a perennial plot by Spring. 

Last few pics are what used to be my Murder Plot... Trying to teach my brother the ways of planting traditional and no till and hes "still learning" we'll say.. so instead of no till we lightly scratched this plot and seeded into it a hybrid forage brassica, collards and bulbs as well as some annual clovers.. Will also put Rye into it in September to convert back to no till next year.. 

Really cant wait to see these two kill plots.. They are put up in hopes my wife, and son and brothers GF can harvest from. Both located against a sanctuary on separate properties and about a 1/2-2/3 acre in size, Theyll also have a mock scrape setup to give a perfect 20 yard opportunity at both plots... These should double and  be great spots for Spring Turkey action again too.. 

IMG_8830.jpg

IMG_8845.PNG

IMG_8846.PNG

IMG_8848.jpg

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I sprayed gly on a brand new "Kill PLot" on July 4th, and sprayed again on July 21 To kill off the rest and or new weeds.. I seeded into it and rolled in the seed. The standing vegetation wasnt dead enough to get the results I desired but this is more of an early experiment to see how easy it can be to get these seeds to pop.. But there is a tremendous amount of decomposing matter from previous years, this soil has to be in decent shape. holding a ton of moisture as well. The idea of a double spray or even a triple spray is it will kill of the vegetation and it slightly opens and exposes soil to allow the seed to contact, only requiring a little moisture for germination. A very easy process. There was heavy rain in the forecast for the week so I tried it.. IF it doesn't germinate I will till it all under with the tractor... Pic is from right after rainfall, will check in a week or two and make final decision. This was planted for my wife really as I placed a Muddy Ladder to the left of this pic, 10 yards off the plot. This plot has a big brassica blend as well, rutabaga, Turnips, Collards, Hybrid forage Brassica, Radish, with Balansa, Berseem and Crimson clovers too.. This will get an over seeding of a high Tonnage perennial blend in September/October and be converted to a perennial plot by Spring. 

Last few pics are what used to be my Murder Plot... Trying to teach my brother the ways of planting traditional and no till and hes "still learning" we'll say.. so instead of no till we lightly scratched this plot and seeded into it a hybrid forage brassica, collards and bulbs as well as some annual clovers.. Will also put Rye into it in September to convert back to no till next year.. 

Really cant wait to see these two kill plots.. They are put up in hopes my wife, and son and brothers GF can harvest from. Both located against a sanctuary on separate properties and about a 1/2-2/3 acre in size, Theyll also have a mock scrape setup to give a perfect 20 yard opportunity at both plots... These should double and  be great spots for Spring Turkey action again too.. 

Is there a difference between a kill plot and a murder plot? :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Belo said:

are you nervous with the lack of rain?

We got a soaker rìght after i tilled.  And then  3 days of showers after i planted.  Heavy dew in am and being in woods these little plots will do fine.  The big plots i wont plant yet as they are full sun all day.  Hope to get them in just before rainband a few days of cloudy.. the cool mornings dew helps a lot with small seed. 

• Like 1

Brassicas are a small, hard seed.  They will hang out for quite awhile and just wait for rain.  I lean toward planting later every year.  I worry about getting brassicas to germinate and then having no rain.  

I hope to plant brassicas the last week of August.  I bought purple top radish, forage rape, diakon radish and a forage kale from Deer Creek Seed and then I blend then myself.  I will also plant WI oats as a nurse crop for some clovers.  I imagine I will have to wait until mid-September to plant those, in order to stay away from the heat.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brassicas are a small, hard seed.  They will hang out for quite awhile and just wait for rain.  I lean toward planting later every year.  I worry about getting brassicas to germinate and then having no rain.  
I hope to plant brassicas the last week of August.  I bought purple top radish, forage rape, diakon radish and a forage kale from Deer Creek Seed and then I blend then myself.  I will also plant WI oats as a nurse crop for some clovers.  I imagine I will have to wait until mid-September to plant those, in order to stay away from the heat.  
I was just looking up some 10-15 day forecasts. And it def looks like a lot of heat. This weekend looks good and I will be cutting trails with the brush hog and maybe a til in one spot if I have time left. But end of next week looks to be mid 90's. I was going to til and plant next weekend but I'm not doing it in that heat for sure. The 8-14 day forecast is above normal temps and below on rainfall. Not great.

I have the same plans this weekend Rob. My brother is finally headed up with me so this weekend will be a lot of work. Plan on at least planting one or two fall plots but this weather has me nervous. Tuesday has 40% chance of heavy rain but that's all I got!

I will be watching the forecast Sunday before I head back to my house. Hopefully the forecast changes and we get a couple inches of weather in 5h

• Like 1

We got another one in last night, anticipating the rain that's coming today and next week. Another long skinny kill plot about 1/2 acre. Planted with Triticale, a couple annual clovers, perennial clovers, some Hybrid forage Brassica, Collards and Turnips.. Planting these a tad early in hopes to get some growth from the annual clovers.

This is close to our cabin, but always produces does harvest opportunities and in the Rut, the bucks are there. Decent cover all around this leaves it pretty well secluded. We did a minimum till to create light soil exposure, and sprayed it a couple days earlier. Due to the heavy rock and weed pressure from a let go perennial plot. No till was going to be too risky here as dry as its been without picking these rocks..  

image000000.JPG

image000001.JPG

• Like 3

On 7/26/2022 at 6:26 PM, bigpaul said:

I rolled my standing winter rye in early June and planted my pumpkins in it. It kept the weeds down. I slung some Antler King Slam Dunk into the dead rye and that came in nice also.

Sprayed and rolled, or just rolled?  Looks great!  Just curious, cuz I try to avoid spraying for a number of reasons.

4 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

Sprayed and rolled, or just rolled?  Looks great!  Just curious, cuz I try to avoid spraying for a number of reasons.

Rolled with a cultipacker and sprayed with Gly about 3 days later. Pretty tough stuff as it started to stand back up. I guess a crimper would work but I don't have one. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

You'd either have to roll the heck out of it with a heavy roller or utilize a crimper. Otherwise spray is needed unless you want volunteers or this to stand back up. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 4:45 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

I was just looking up some 10-15 day forecasts. And it def looks like a lot of heat. This weekend looks good and I will be cutting trails with the brush hog and maybe a til in one spot if I have time left. But end of next week looks to be mid 90's. I was going to til and plant next weekend but I'm not doing it in that heat for sure. The 8-14 day forecast is above normal temps and below on rainfall. Not great.

yeah i'm seeing the same although i'm out of town next week anyhow. Going to check my spot that I sprayed a week ago today and maybe till it this weekend. Might need I have to spray again, but will be less work to do a light till prior to planting. 

16 minutes ago, land 1 said:

keeping any eye on forecast going to drag plots monday but only 2 days in 7 day forecast with 30% chance rain,   i do this every year trying to pick correct time to plant

Cool nights are important.. heavy dew  can work wonders especially if its germinated.. i try to find a window of rain and cloudy days.. 3 or 4days. to germ