Official 2022 Fall Plots Thread

37 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Got about 2.5" of rain at camp 8P  the last two days finally. Time to check germination in a day or so and address. 

We are letting things in NY ride until Labor Day weekend. We'll work the last plot and seed some oats, and fertilize all the plots with some overseeding as needed. Definitely not going to be our best plotting year but we'll make the most of it.

Ohio this weekend and hopefully some success getting plots in and done. We're not likely to go back to fertilize down the road so we're probably going to do the whole kitten-kaboodle in one shot. Any future visits will likely be some stand tweaks and lane clearing before Sept 24.

• Like 1

Any pro's here recommend going back over the plots with another bag of seed in a few weeks? I obviously wont disc or pack with seeds already down, but is it a waste of money? I know it can't hurt just not sure how things like radish, turnups, kale etc that are in my beets & greens and winter greens bags do without packing/raking them in. Just not sure what will happen with seed on the ground for 5 days with no rain. 

Any pro's here recommend going back over the plots with another bag of seed in a few weeks? I obviously wont disc or pack with seeds already down, but is it a waste of money? I know it can't hurt just not sure how things like radish, turnups, kale etc that are in my beets & greens and winter greens bags do without packing/raking them in. Just not sure what will happen with seed on the ground for 5 days with no rain. 
I am def not a pro, but I have two bags of throw and grow on standby just in case for this very reason.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Belo said:

It all depends on how many days you have before your first average frost to get the most out of those bags. Bulbs planted after Mid august at my lease wont do much in the way of bulbs underground unless its perfect growing conditions. Which this year seems to NOT BE good growing conditions. Unless your cool with mostly top growth and maybe some bulbs if timing lines up. 

As far as packing or rolling seeds, you don't have to, a rain will germinate them. And packing really only helps the seed when there is soil moisture, if the ground is bone dry your seed really gains nothing if its already sitting on the soil surface. slight soil moisture and a roller/packer will push seed in and most times start germination that day. Dry hard soil, is hard to push seed into. unless your pushing it through some "thatch"..

On top of all that you dont want to overseed and get too thick of a stand if your first seeds haven't germinated at all. Kind of a hard spot to be in..

Do you have plants growing currently? Or is it still bare? Not knowing if  morning dews germinated them but conditions were too dry and they ended up dying.. if you follow what I mean. 

But yes, you can leave these seeds on soil awaiting rain to do its magic.. But they also become bird food at that point too, so seeding heavier if you anticipate birds picking them is a good idea.. 

Or just hold out and wait until September for cereal grains and peas etc.. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, phade said:

We are letting things in NY ride until Labor Day weekend. We'll work the last plot and seed some oats, and fertilize all the plots with some overseeding as needed. Definitely not going to be our best plotting year but we'll make the most of it.

Ohio this weekend and hopefully some success getting plots in and done. We're not likely to go back to fertilize down the road so we're probably going to do the whole kitten-kaboodle in one shot. Any future visits will likely be some stand tweaks and lane clearing before Sept 24.

You know how to work magic, I have seen miracles happen with those hands! lol. I for the first time in years am fertilizing, and doing it with liquids instead of granular. Interested to see how this works.  

Also hoping my 1" sprouts didnt die before this rain hit.. Damn weather doesnt know by now that its planting time! 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

You know how to work magic, I have seen miracles happen with those hands! lol. I for the first time in years am fertilizing, and doing it with liquids instead of granular. Interested to see how this works.  

Also hoping my 1" sprouts didnt die before this rain hit.. Damn weather doesnt know by now that its planting time! 

Keep me posted with the liquid. I tried it once and couldn't see a difference. I know some people love that stuff - Konchar in my group has alot of success with it with his Antler King stuff.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lomax said:

60EB6161-5638-445C-97B0-A554033BD380.thumb.jpeg.41aa44bb513b7f2186e8dc4ff4c56e05.jpegHere’s what some rain does to the plots.  1st pic is Sunday and 2nd is yesterday.  Patience it will happen over time. 
I will be spraying all the plots this weekend with deergro plotboost 

F99CC726-99E3-4F93-AE01-2B0A1BF9261A.jpeg

046D2B20-9DCE-4038-B486-FBCF608B4C59.jpeg

How many weeks from seeding to your last picture? 

1 minute ago, corydd7 said:

How many weeks from seeding to your last picture? 

19 days.  I planted it July 30th.

I sprayed all my plots with a Roundup except for the big one in the 2 pics The week of July 4th. 

I tIlled up 7 plots The week of July 25 and sprayed them all with deergro plot starter prior to tilling  

I then planted from July 30 through August 3rd and prayed for rain like y’all plotters do  

I have been doing this a while now and learned that patience is a virtue and believe it or not some of the best plot years have been dry ones  

just have to nurse them through August heat into September and then they takeoff  

• Like 3