Official 2022 Fall Plots Thread

40 minutes ago, Belo said:

what's the average germ time for a winter blend of kale, turnips, beets etc? Like how long after the rains monday should I hope for little sprouts? Just wanting to know when or if I should overseed if all my seed was eaten by birds lol. 

I have material germination the following weekend, every single time when things go right. So, 7 days and you should see alot of germination of brassicas. From there, weeks 1-3 or 4 sometimes make me nervous because growth always seems slow, then weeks 4-7/8 it takes off like a rocket. Never fails. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, phade said:

After planting on a weekend, I have material germination the following weekend, every single time when things go right. So, 7 days and you should see alot of germination of brassicas. From there, weeks 2-3 or 4 sometimes make me nervous because growth always seems slow, then weeks 4-7/8 it takes off like a rocket. Never fails. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

what's the average germ time for a winter blend of kale, turnips, beets etc? Like how long after the rains monday should I hope for little sprouts? Just wanting to know when or if I should overseed if all my seed was eaten by birds lol. 

3-4 days if it got a good soaking IMO.

20 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

That soil looks great. Yours is a little ahead of mine planted the same day. Have you fertilized at all? I'm gonna dump some urea on my brassica plots in a week or so weather depending. 

Thanks Cory it’s coming along better since the rain. I thought your plots looked good too.  I have good soil I am in the lake plains region between Ontario and the Fingerlakes.  I haven’t fertilized yet I figured it looked pretty good. I think I will fertilize them Labor Day weekend.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Belo said:

You should see 1" sprouts in 3-7 days, when enough moisture/rainfall was present.. 

well planted oats wednesday and the soil was damp, according to radar got some rain yesterday and this morning so should be off to a good start with the oats. now got to go back monday re-plant failed plot in rye mixed with oats and hope for the best finger crossed the really dry spell is behind us

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

im like a kid on Xmas eve today.  Tomorrow going to check plots and pull some cams.  Hopefully it isnt packs of socks and underwear under the tree!  

Put the socks in the underwear, if that is what you get. Trust me. They'll call you BizCT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, phade said:

Looks like we're getting rain on top of rain now.

I'm going from need rain to worried about the creek coming up into the plots. Sheesh.

this did me in last year.  Was wading to stands https://www.localsyr.com/news/local-news/friday-marks-one-year-since-flooding-from-fred/

IMG_20211031_160933213.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Zero rain here in CT still. none forecasted for next 14 days either. Quite a few trees have leaves turned yellow and dropping already. People coming to the Berkshires for fall foliage this year will be disappointed for sure.

Edited by BizCT

43 minutes ago, grampy said:

20220821_130138.thumb.jpg.3693c3943b55a69b52f8f934ede0d0f2.jpg

Never seen it so dry. But put in a mixed bag last week.

Looks like ours have for the summer. We're getting rain now, so hopefully that changes. Hopefully some of it heads your way, too.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

2/4 plots looking good. Biggest was a bit spotty so seeded some bare spots again. Now it's up to mother nature for the rest 774023cccbd984be901b1a2834a67275.jpg77df955a0894f329def4703a1919feea.jpg11f6650699743efecd222d93b9401a05.jpg5a0c9294eb11c5ea26521196807e05d3.jpgef4c4bdb4af72e73b86ee84ed5e1ad93.jpg3547179733bfa3aeb837df9e5e458a0b.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

The plots are looking great Rob. If all goes well they should produce very well during hunting season for you

• Like 1