Official 2022 Fall Plots Thread

6 minutes ago, phade said:

Likely urea based which will have N evaporate. Might want to consider a follow-up fertilizing. Even $22 bag of triple 10 will go a long way. And make sure the lawn fertilizer doesn't have any weed treatment in there. Seen that before. Woof.

oh yeah def did not buy weed and feed. That would be funny. This is what i got

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/groundwork-lawn-food-24-0-4

I cut a lot in the woods behind the house this year, mainly buckthorn and honey suckle. It opened up the canopy and the increased sunlight to the ground made me wonder how broadcasting some fall seed would do. I did some research and read where some guys broadcasted Antler King Honey Hole in open areas of the woods and it grew really well. Figured what the hell and did the same as a little experiment. Deer have an abundance of ag all around me, so I don't know how much of an attraction it will be, but it's offering something different anyways. It's actually right next to a corn field, so hoping it might be a spot they'll hit before and/or after feeding in the corn. I broadcasted the seed 7 days ago and it seems to be growing well. Time will tell!

7-FCC957-D-CD36-405-A-92-E6-3-B3-E33-D97

• Like 1

well finally got some rain it looks like after watching the radar for last two hrs and being missed by rain nice little red spot right over my camp....
It has been downpour here on and off. And a big line about to go thru. Looks like you will def get a good rain

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Jealous.  I probably shouldn't have even tried to plant.  I guess there is a chance my seed will germinate and take off, but it's not looking good!  Glad somebody got results.  Ah well.  That's Nature.

Well we got a lot of rain today and hopefully it’s headed your way.  
it’s still prime planting time for plots into early September you can still get good results but I have some plots that are doing better than others in my field.  The fun challenges of plotting and nature 

10 hours ago, Lomax said:

Well we got a lot of rain today and hopefully it’s headed your way.  
it’s still prime planting time for plots into early September you can still get good results but I have some plots that are doing better than others in my field.  The fun challenges of plotting and nature 

We got rain last Friday and again last night.  I lightly overseeded on Thursday evening.  Checked this morning and there is promising germination.  Plots are going to be grassy and weedy, but it looks like there will be something there!

• Like 2

Checked my new plot that I had high hopes for. 3 weeks in and several inches of rainfall since.. and plants are only 2-3" tall but coverage is perfect. I have to get some Cleth sprayed on it for grasses this week since they are coming back strong in spots .. and get the liquid fert on it shortly after... so i can apply urea a couple weeks later.. Really need this plot to take off. Have to get my Elevated platform put up this week as well before season gets too close. Wife will love that. She doesnt even know yet..    

Will check other plots this weekend when getting stands ready.. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

I cut a lot in the woods behind the house this year, mainly buckthorn and honey suckle. It opened up the canopy and the increased sunlight to the ground made me wonder how broadcasting some fall seed would do. I did some research and read where some guys broadcasted Antler King Honey Hole in open areas of the woods and it grew really well. Figured what the hell and did the same as a little experiment. Deer have an abundance of ag all around me, so I don't know how much of an attraction it will be, but it's offering something different anyways. It's actually right next to a corn field, so hoping it might be a spot they'll hit before and/or after feeding in the corn. I broadcasted the seed 7 days ago and it seems to be growing well. Time will tell!

7-FCC957-D-CD36-405-A-92-E6-3-B3-E33-D97

some throw n grow wouldn't hurt. If you can rake a little though it'll help a ton. I did a real small plot like this once. The idea wasn't to feed them, but to get them to stop there on their travel between corn fields. They mowed it down before the season began lol.

stopped by yesterday to pick some peaches and pull 2 cams. I'm absolutely amazed at the rebound my clover plot had with that rain. Went from life support to bonkers clover and chicory again. Deer are hammering it, but mostly around 3am which kind of irritates me considering it's still summer and not even pressured yet.

More growth in the fall plot but very patchy and I believe the result of my thick thatch. It's growing well where I was able to expose good soil and not at all where i wasn't, unless i'm lucky and it's germinating under the hay. Anyhow, I also have some grasses coming up and I'm just not sure what is a grass that came out of the bag and what is just regrowing. Part of what I was worried about is that after my initial spray, I sprayed again after discing but there was no moisture for those newly exposed seeds to germ and then be killed off. 

Queen Anne's lace seems to be my newest enemy lol

IMG_2166.thumb.JPEG.eee7a7feb105b13a9883ceea91a0d084.JPEGIMG_2167.thumb.JPEG.4ffb2b51927d4c479dbec727de5699a9.JPEGIMG_2168.thumb.JPEG.c7075f6e5b6520cb600bc0a5deb10bbb.JPEGIMG_2169.thumb.JPEG.0ae33c0964720e7e339d7f6484d94d1f.JPEGIMG_2171.thumb.JPEG.7dd34e1d2107d6ebb2d6ea5bad90c518.JPEGIMG_2172.thumb.JPEG.f3a07b81e642ca773ae8e468df2df071.JPEGIMG_2173.thumb.JPEG.3edd9ce8cba1b03fd0cfabd4066e6627.JPEGIMG_2174.thumb.JPEG.2d09016ac3ed20a2819307479c7ebcc5.JPEG

IMG_2170.JPEG

Edited by Belo
  • Like 4

Dad said they got 1.17 inches of rain yesterday.  I'm ITCHING to get up there and check it out.  I used WI secret spot on my kill plot, and thinned the poplars to the south of it.  It was coming on like gangbusters last weekend.  It's a couple hundred yards tucked back in the woods along a major trail between 2 big plots.

Logging operation is in full swing on my hillside, gotta check that out too.  I got a guy whose gonna give me a quote on grinding the stumps in 2 half acre plots down deep.  I know I'm going to do at least 1, if the price is right maybe 2.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Dad said they got 1.17 inches of rain yesterday.  I'm ITCHING to get up there and check it out.  I used WI secret spot on my kill plot, and thinned the poplars to the south of it.  It was coming on like gangbusters last weekend.  It's a couple hundred yards tucked back in the woods along a major trail between 2 big plots.

Logging operation is in full swing on my hillside, gotta check that out too.  I got a guy whose gonna give me a quote on grinding the stumps in 2 half acre plots down deep.  I know I'm going to do at least 1, if the price is right maybe 2.

stumps are my mortal enemy right now. In the past the land owner would pull them with a tractor, but some of mine are pretty rotted so I think I'm going to just do a kerosene burn next year. There is stuff you can buy to speed up the decomp but it's kinda expensive if you're doing a lot. Heck i've had stumps grinded in my yard and they weren't cheap. Cant imagine doing a lot... 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

stumps are my mortal enemy right now. In the past the land owner would pull them with a tractor, but some of mine are pretty rotted so I think I'm going to just do a kerosene burn next year. There is stuff you can buy to speed up the decomp but it's kinda expensive if you're doing a lot. Heck i've had stumps grinded in my yard and they weren't cheap. Cant imagine doing a lot... 

He quoted me between 2500-3500 for 2 1/2 acre spots.  That was contingent on the rest of it being clear and him just grinding stumps.  Compared to the 7-8k to get an excavator in to pull them, pretty solid deal.  Added benefit of not disturbing the top soil as much.

• Like 1

I always forget to take pics being in a hurry with everything, but I snapped a couple yesterday. Got the elevated platform started.

This plot has growth but not quite what i was expecting after several inches of rain. IT did not get liquid fertilizer yet so it makes sense. The liquid fertilized plots are 4-8" tall already. Sprayed the Fert on it yesterday as well as cleth for grasses at the same time. If growth is not where i want it in 2 weeks, ill add the Wheat. I'm Really hoping this plot takes off to get my wife her best chance at a bow harvest or two.. Its been 8 years since her one and only bow harvest. 2nd harvest ever. 

The panoramic views are from her ladder stand which is positioned behind and to the left of the platform about 50 yards. From the ladder stand,  its a 10 yard shot to the close edge, 45 to the far edge straight across..  The ladder and platform are an easy 100 yard walk in so she can leave when she gets scared or whatever the reason is that day lol.   

IMG_9230.jpg

68375098323__9AA0587B-8776-41F8-A8F6-0143542634D1.jpg

IMG_9248.PNG

IMG_9249.PNG

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 3

Staked off our field edge plot as if we continue to get nice weather was worried they might do a third hay cut and take out our plants It's coming in ok, a little spotty. Looks like some of the peas are germinating now too.

The sun is shining perfect on our deer stand. C'mon Oct 1.

Will go back out there Sept 30 and pull the stakes and ribbon and trail cam cards. 11dc966c49c039d3ebc7e29d4e9339db.jpge031735a5bb6287a664e8e17dd530928.jpgacbce1b584fe2b562a197ddae2a2ee0b.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 5