Official 2022 Fall Plots Thread

Rain, glorious RAIN  !!    More than an inch fell here in Dogpatch over the last 24 hours, and it came gentle and steady, so it should soak in rather than running right off....And there's more coming over the next 24 hours...

All summer long the rain has been going north and south of us...Seemed like the lower Canisteo Valley  might have to be renamed Death Valley....Hehehe...

• Like 5

Well its not going to help this year but the farmer came and brush hogged my fields and will be plowing and planting Triticale as a cover crop until next spring when he puts in the alfalfa and clover.

We made our fall trip to Ontario Orchards and I picked up 2 Ida Red apple trees and an Arkansas Black to plant back in the woods for my kill orchard. The wife picked up trees for the yard.20220906_142011.thumb.jpg.dcd3329da845ab18edaa906dcebaf793.jpg20220906_142002.thumb.jpg.7489853dec27d561e58b4a562112fa97.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Judoka95 said:

Well its not going to help this year but the farmer came and brush hogged my fields and will be plowing and planting Triticale as a cover crop until next spring when he puts in the alfalfa and clover.

We made our fall trip to Ontario Orchards and I picked up 2 Ida Red apple trees and an Arkansas Black to plant back in the woods for my kill orchard. The wife picked up trees for the yard.20220906_142011.thumb.jpg.dcd3329da845ab18edaa906dcebaf793.jpg20220906_142002.thumb.jpg.7489853dec27d561e58b4a562112fa97.jpg

The tritical will help as will the bushhogging

22 hours ago, Judoka95 said:

Great choices.  Ontario Orchards is a great little store and the owners are nice folks. My family loves going there then on to Rudy’s especially during apple season. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Triticale would be better than rye.. and as good as oats or wheat.. Perfect timing. Unless he terminated a great field of cover/natives..  

I'm honestly not that familiar with the different grains. I had to look up Triticale when he told me. The field did offer good cover but I typically brush hog in the fall to keep it under control and I have to walk right through the middle to get to the woods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, land 1 said:

anyone try any of the liquid fertilizers like plot boost etc... if so what did you think of results....

Yes I can vouch for them I use plot starter and plot boost this year this was the first year I ever used them. The results this year so far are on par for my best ever so I will give credit to these products simple to use and mix And noticeable results right away so I would say definitely worth the investment and will use it againAnd noticeable results right away so I would say definitely worth the investment and will use it again

FBEEF84C-FF22-401C-98AF-255E3C5DEB92.png

• Like 1

thanks just ordered plot boost and  Growth Aid for food plots looks basically the same will givethem  a shot my brassicas are just struggling to over come the the 1st 3weeks when it was a drought, no discoloring just stunted should be about 6inch higher and starting bulbs by now.

Edited by land 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, land 1 said:

anyone try any of the liquid fertilizers like plot boost etc... if so what did you think of results....

IT does work, Just apply it as reccomended. Used Liquids this year for the first time. I buy the good stuff from grandpa rays.. tad bit more on the price tag but works better.  

9 hours ago, Judoka95 said:

I'm honestly not that familiar with the different grains. I had to look up Triticale when he told me. The field did offer good cover but I typically brush hog in the fall to keep it under control and I have to walk right through the middle to get to the woods.

The standing natives typically offer cover and food all in one.. IF you brush hog to control it, Id recommend mowing it late winter when the ground is frozen every couple of years.. To control saplings. These fallow fields offer good habitat and some food for wildlife at a cheap price. Not sure how big the field is, but taking a percentage of the field and  carving out a plot in it would probably suit you very well.

Im going to try an experiment this year on a 3 acre fallow field, Apply Cleth(for grasses) early May and let the broadleafs like ragweed golden rod etc thrive.. Maybe even sow some sanctuary seed blends into them, and add a couple clusters of evergreen for thermal cover.. 

I have a 1/2 acre plot carve out into it already  

You can certainly tell the plots the have good soils vs the more poor soils. My camp with lower PH clay soils, the brassica plants are half the size(with liquid fertilizers) vs the black muck soil in my backyard.. These  backyard black muck plants have zero fertilizer and are 8" tall in 3 weeks, vs 4-6" tall fertilized plants at camp.. 

Camp i typically plan to spend zero on lime or granular fert,  and simply get back into planting only annuals each season  to keep soils healthy and build Organic matter.. 

On 9/8/2022 at 6:11 AM, LET EM GROW said:

The standing natives typically offer cover and food all in one.. IF you brush hog to control it, Id recommend mowing it late winter when the ground is frozen every couple of years.. To control saplings. These fallow fields offer good habitat and some food for wildlife at a cheap price. Not sure how big the field is, but taking a percentage of the field and  carving out a plot in it would probably suit you very well.

Im going to try an experiment this year on a 3 acre fallow field, Apply Cleth(for grasses) early May and let the broadleafs like ragweed golden rod etc thrive.. Maybe even sow some sanctuary seed blends into them, and add a couple clusters of evergreen for thermal cover.. 

I have a 1/2 acre plot carve out into it already  

The field is about 8 acres, mostly goldenrod that grew like wildfire, I would leave it alone until fall but if I didn't brush hog it would start growing sumac. I leased it to a farmer this year so he will be planting it and maintaining it moving forward.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 8:37 PM, Lomax said:

Yes I can vouch for them I use plot starter and plot boost this year this was the first year I ever used them. The results this year so far are on par for my best ever so I will give credit to these products simple to use and mix And noticeable results right away so I would say definitely worth the investment and will use it againAnd noticeable results right away so I would say definitely worth the investment and will use it again

FBEEF84C-FF22-401C-98AF-255E3C5DEB92.png

interesting stuff that i haven't heard of. I was lucky and didn't need any pH adjustment, but it's nice to know there's a much easier product like this out there if I did need to lime. 

Not sure I'm sold on the plot boost stuff, but maybe next year. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

wow so green. What did you plant again? Looks like maybe a 1/4 or 1/2 acre?

I planted radishes in those plots. Yes I put in several plots of various sizes and offerings.  
the herd seems to like more being spread out when the feed.  

I don’t do any soil tests but figured I’d try the sprays this year.  Haven’t fertilized yet but I might but the plots are doing well.   Another month and they should be like this size 

5F2A0A7C-183A-4089-B6D4-8BA33E265DC7.jpeg

5467E3F3-97C0-46EE-9315-1269E05FCF90.png

• Like 3