Crossbow use?

apoallo

i like arguing. So riddle me this: In medieval times, when battlefields had "archers" using longbows or recurves and they also had soldiers using crossbows... Why did they call them "crossbowmen" and not "archers"?

The different terms were used because the longbowman were a commodity that neede protection. They were highly trained and had years of practice. The corssbowman were more expendable becasue in very short time they could be trained to shoot one. See. you are in an "elite" category...lol

• Like 1

Sure, if you have your bow drawn (cocked) and you are being unsafe. Same as any other weapon.

not true. The simple act of having to draw a bow, generally means you have taken the time to identify your target and are generally aiming in it's direction. Per the link I posted, many have shot themselves in the foot, or shot to quickly at something without identifying their target and hit a friend. What to say this couldn't happen with a loaded crossbow just like it does with a loaded rifle?

not true. The simple act of having to draw a bow, generally means you have taken the time to identify your target and are generally aiming in it's direction. Per the link I posted, many have shot themselves in the foot, or shot to quickly at something without identifying their target and hit a friend. What to say this couldn't happen with a loaded crossbow just like it does with a loaded rifle?

The only way any of thoise incidents happened was due to lack of safe handling of the firearm. You are wrong about a bow being any safer than a gun or crossbow. They are equally as dangerous when handled or used improperly and without regard for safety.

As far as crossbows go, there are more than one state that already allow them. If they were as unsafe as you suggest, the data would be out there to support your argument. Lets see it.

The different terms were used because the longbowman were a commodity that neede protection. They were highly trained and had years of practice. The corssbowman were more expendable becasue in very short time they could be trained to shoot one. See. you are in an "elite" category...lol

Hes not a longbowman, hes a compound bowman, which takes alot less skill. Hes elite allright, but not in that regard lmao.

Just messin with you belo.

If it is happening with crossbows, Ohio must have stats showing it with like 20 years of crossbow usage. Post them up and show us how dangerous they are rather than guess.

i never claimed them to be dangerous, for the final time I simply feel that given how the trigger and safety and guard works with an xbow  that they are very "gun like" and that claiming a bow release is just like that of a gun is a pretty big stretch.

Its a trigger. Its mechanical and provides the same exact function. Theres no stretch.

You are talking about hunting and shooting related accidents, right? You are then saying that those accidents cant happen with a bow, but could happen with a crossbow. Id say you are implying that they are more dangerous. Not much of a leap there lol.

BTW, it would be tough for many of the gun type accidents to occur with a crossbow, seeing as if its dropped or pointed down at a steep angle, the arrow would fall out of it. Yet another aspect that is nothing like a gun....

Per the link I posted, many have shot themselves in the foot, or shot to quickly at something without identifying their target and hit a friend. What to say this couldn't happen with a loaded crossbow just like it does with a loaded rifle?

You stated something could happen and strongly suggested it is dangerous.

I simply said that if so, the stats would show it so from Ohio and suggested you use them to back your statement and implication.

Wny,

One requires an action to create the potential energy before pulling the trigger (pulling back the string) the other does not, you just pull the trigger. Sometimes I think you're smarter them you let on and just like to argue.

Would they have put all that safety stuff in the bill if they didn't agree?

Wny,

One requires an action to create the potential energy before pulling the trigger (pulling back the string) the other does not, you just pull the trigger. Sometimes I think you're smarter them you let on and just like to argue.

Would they have put all that safety stuff in the bill if they didn't agree?

Actually you have to do something stupid and unsafe to cause anything to happen with any of them. I understand that you refuse to admit to it because it causes your line of thought to be a complete failure. I get it, youre not the type to ever admit youre wrong. Then when you have nothing left, you start tossing out the insults.

What "safety stuff" are you talking about?

Insults? Can you not at least admit there is a difference in how the triggers work? Good lord man, a toddler could fire a gun or crossbow, but they could not fire even a recurve at lethal speeds. Yes of course it all requires poor safety practices, but were not talking about that. The whole debate goes back to similarities the xbow shares with a gun or a bow.

Read the bill you wrote letters to your politicians. There's all sorts of wording about how you can travel with it, requires the DEC to provide safety training etc. they wouldn't have put all that in the bill if it was "just another bow"

Insults? Can you not at least admit there is a difference in how the triggers work? Good lord man, a toddler could fire a gun or crossbow, but they could not fire even a recurve at lethal speeds. Yes of course it all requires poor safety practices, but were not talking about that. The whole debate goes back to similarities the xbow shares with a gun or a bow.

Read the bill you wrote letters to your politicians. There's all sorts of wording about how you can travel with it, requires the DEC to provide safety training etc. they wouldn't have put all that in the bill if it was "just another bow"

Yeah, insults, go back and read what you said. You can pick nits all you want to try and prove your "point" on this, but its bunk. Im not going to change the subject here, you are trying to insinuate that a gun or crossbow is any more dangerous when used irresponsibly than a vertical bow, and that is pure BS.

As far as those safety regulations, they are no different than the regulations of how you can travel with a vertical bow, that safety is taught in the hunters education course for archery, etc. Good lord.

you are trying to insinuate that a gun or crossbow is any more dangerous when used irresponsibly than a vertical bow, and that is pure BS.

you're a trip and i give up. theres no danger even with an arrow notched on a compound. But if you feel it's just as safe as a loaded and cocked xbow... well... that's fine.

It is. A loaded and cocked crossbow, when handled responsibly is no more dangerous than a bow with an arrow nocked.

You must be one of those guys that blames the gun when it goes off because some dippety doo drops it out of his tree, or says the gun is less safe because some idiot shoots his buddy thinking its a deer moving over in the bushes, or maybe when a ding dong shoots himself in the foot because he didnt have the safety on while he was walking around with the gun.

Oh, and please, explain how a crossbow user can shoot themselves in the foot when the arrow would fall off of the crossbow if you point it down at a steep angle. Or how it would get them if they dropped it out of the tree, when, again, the arrow would fall out of the crossbow on the way down.

I'm done man. Really I am. I'm tired of it. A simple point turns into 3 pages with you. My arrow doesn't fall out of my bow because it's knocked. Regardless of angle. I have to assume it's the same for a bolt, if it's not than my bad. I thought these were both archery equipment, so that the same "knocking" concept applied to a crossbow. Must be hard to stalk game though if your bolts just "fall out".

Enjoy the rest of your day. I'm spending mine on a tour of a brewery on the companies dime. beautiful day here in Portsmouth too. Must suck to be stuck at your desk arguing with people over the interwebs.

Edited by Belo

My arrow doesn't fall out of my bow because it's knocked. I have to assume it's the same for a bolt, if it's not than my bad. I thought these were both archery equipment, so that the same "knocking" concept applied to a crossbow. Must be hard to stalk game though if your bolts just "fall out".

And theres your main issue, you dont even have any idea what you are talking about to begin with. Thanks for confirming one of my suspicions.

if you took a cocked and loaded crossbow, a loaded firearm, and a longbow with a nocked arrow, and left them unattended at a child's birthday party, the longbow would prove to be the safest..........in the hand's of a responsible hunter, they're equally safe.............I bet a hunter's knife is the cause of more hunting related injuries per year than all others combined.

• Like 1

FYI - Xbow bolts have either flat or 1/2 moon nocks, so they are not secured onto the string. Bolt is retained (on most) by a leaf spring holding bolt onto the rail in the area of the vanes. Xbows also use bolts with lengths of 20-22".

Agree with above! "Stupid is as stupid does", regardless of weapon.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing like a gun. Everyone entitled to their own opinion. I'll be out there on 10/1 with my xbow spot and stalk while your sitting in tree.

Looks like I'll be sitting in a tree , while you'll be on the internet.......better luck next year.

• Like 1

Nothing like a gun. Everyone entitled to their own opinion. I'll be out there on 10/1 with my xbow spot and stalk while your sitting in tree.

Looks like I'll be sitting in a tree , while you'll be on the internet.......better luck next year.

Wrong! Ill be hunting 9/16-12/31 in CT with my xbow. Also going to PA in October. Looks like NYS just lost my $ to other states. I get more buck tags this way anyway.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2