Had the scare of my life today setting stands...

Hock3y24

Was moving stands today, Hook my stand up, hop up in it, SNAP. Thankfully i was wearing my harness and linesman belt with rope man 2 properly! I was lazy and forgot to pull this stand last year, check your stuff, and wear your safety gear! this woulda hurt.  No photo description available.

• Like 1

When I used hang ons ,they went up just prior to season and came down right after . Cables were oiled , and stands tested by me jumping on them at three feet prior to going back up . Double straps . No way was I gunna let Mrs Nomad inherit millions .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Glad you took proper precautions.  That part of the cable is definitely the weak point.  I think FastEddies' idea of replacing the cables with chains makes a lot of sense.  I pretty much just use ladderstands these days, I'm not as agile as I used to be.

• Like 2

You were smart wearing your harness and linesman's belt. I had a similar situation a few years ago, but the stand was so old that it had grown into the tree and barely shifted. Nevertheless, it was immediately replaced - and nearly all our new stands are ladders. And we still add safety ropes to attach our hitches on the ground before we ever ascend, at least for stands  > 15 ft high. 

• Like 1

bought 2 screaming Eagle stands back in the 90's and they worked great, but after a while, I got to thinking I was totally dependent on the 2 cables supporting the fold down stand to support all my weight. 

I ditched the stands and went to ladder stands. Even so, I wear my safety gear while in stand.

Nowadays, I am more likely to be on the ground hunting, rather than being in a ladder stand. Good hunting to you all.

• Like 2

yikes!  Def a scare.  I use only ladder stands and replace straps every year. I also have 3 straps on each one.  One at the top, one on the foot rail and one on the tree brace.  ive seen where squirrels have chewed one before.  So i always have a back up in another spot.  i check them all the time but not gonne know til your up there.  We only have 5 - 17ft ones anymore and run a lot of 9fters.  We just tuck them in real well and they work just fine and def feel more comfortable at that height.  

• Like 2

Being safe, saved you!!! It could happen to anyone, at anytime, using any treestand! At 65 most all my hunting the last ten years or so has been from terra firma. We do only have ladderstands now, along with one tripod and one built box stand, for when we do leave ground level. A harness is a cheap insurance policy to prevent what could be a life changing , or ending situation. Wear it!!! 

• Like 2

I saw this happen to a buddy of mine. He had his safety gear on also, thank God.

I always pull my stands down at the end of the season. All the cables and bolts get a good coating of lithium grease when stored away and then another coating when I put them back up.

Glad you are okay. 

Thanks for sharing, you probably saved someone's life by sharing

• Like 1

we double strap our hang ons. The factory one below the seat and one on the base. Ratchet straps are cheap and not only does it secure the stand much better but it's another point for a fail safe. For our real old trees, they grow very little and no adjustments needed really. For smaller growing trees I try and loosen and retighten every few seasons to adjust for tree growth. Same would apply to ladder sticks. The nice thing with screw ins is that the tree just grows into them, however we have some that are so old there's only a small tip of the step sticking out.

$20 for 4 stands is money well spent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WVJ2DY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Nomad said:

Glad you’re ok ! That cable broke , which always was a worry of mine , but what is that old  pos ropes purpose ?

my guess is that was his rope to lower the stand. At least it looks like the ropes I use to hike the stand up from the ground while i'm hanging up there in my linemans belt haha.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 9:24 PM, Nomad said:

Glad you’re ok ! That cable broke , which always was a worry of mine , but what is that old  pos ropes purpose ?

That was the pull up rope for my bow lol. old clothesline. 

On 7/26/2022 at 9:29 PM, crappyice said:

Damn..how old was it? How long was it up there? What gave way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stand is 12 or so years old, was left out a few years and brought in a few times. cable was rusted under the rubber. 

I usually pull my hang ons each year and change straps often, However sometimes life gets in the way. I will be replacing this one and the ones like it with chain.

Bottom line is wear safety equip. This would have been real bad cause my family was out of town and I didn't even tell anyone I was going out.  

• Like 1

stand is 12 or so years old, was left out a few years and brought in a few times. cable was rusted under the rubber. 

I usually pull my hang ons each year and change straps often, However sometimes life gets in the way. I will be replacing this one and the ones like it with chain.
Bottom line is wear safety equip. This would have been real bad cause my family was out of town and I didn't even tell anyone I was going out.  

So you killed 31 deer out of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

I only have one hang on out now, and reading this has convinced me to lower it a little this year.  It is currently up about 8 ft.  It uses a chain around the tree and has been in place (4) seasons, (3) of which I killed deer from it, on opening day of gun season.  

It is a cheap one, that I got from Walmart about 25 years ago, and have replaced the seat with a couple straps made of car seatbelt material.  I usually put a small cushion on that when hunting on it.   It is about time to move it anyhow, before the chain gets grown into the tree.  

Lowering it, to about 5 ft, might cut back on my view a bit but will make it safer, especially without a safety strap, which I have never used.  I might just throw up a wood safety rail around it however, which I do have on about a dozen other stands, most of which are the ladder type.  

I sort of hate to make changes on this stand, since it had been  very effective “as is”.  Improved  safety does justify those changes, especially since the rule changes NY made last season, which have greatly simplified the task of venison acquisition.  Lower is always safer, and deer are not that difficult to kill from ground level.  

0F2C24D7-8480-4ECB-9206-8F2E39E22E19.thumb.jpeg.b460564a9bb20e9988db02fc26e3d7eb.jpeg 

On 7/26/2022 at 8:48 PM, Hock3y24 said:

Was moving stands today, Hook my stand up, hop up in it, SNAP. Thankfully i was wearing my harness and linesman belt with rope man 2 properly! I was lazy and forgot to pull this stand last year, check your stuff, and wear your safety gear! this woulda hurt.  No photo description available.

+1 on wearing safety gear, but even when you have it on, your still in the air if something happens.

Having a descender is a real benefit, especially if your out in the woods and no one knows your there.

They have single use products, but this one is resettable and weight adjustable.

Wingman

• Like 2