Poachers

outdoorstom

I was talking to my neighbor today and he told me that last Sunday night he noticed a car parked at the bottom of his driveway. Two guys were walking up the treeline we share, headed to my woods. One of them was carrying a rifle. He called the police, then grabbed his shotgun and went out and stopped them. He told them to wait a few minutes and the police would be here. When they heard that, they took off running. He never got a plate number, so they got away. I'm really glad he caught them, just wish he would have waited for the police. I have zero tolerance for this, and will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, no questions asked. To my knowledge, I've never had a problem with poachers, so this has really got me pissed! >;)

While I was in my stands in the past few days I would occasionaly hear a distant shot.

Yes other seasons overlap, but I thought how many loosers are out there shooting out of season? And what drives someone to feel the need to do such a thing. There is virtually nowhere you can go and not hear it in some degree.

Fantail----I remember growing up the old man taking me small game hunting when he could have been deer hunting instead. There is a lot of stuff open right now. especially up north. Not justifying anything....just saying....

I just found out a guy in the valley below my camp is running training on coons right now too.....hope he keeps the dogs low or he'll be running every deer off the hill

I agree with others on the safety issues in confronting such people directly.  If you would have waited for the police they surely would have gotten the plate numbers since the car was parked there, plus they could have simply waited for them by their car and they would have definitely been caught.  Confronting them directly helped them get away in this case.

Agreed Steve----and the possibility of having a poaching situation escalating to a shoot out is very real. You hae no idea what the guys are into that you are approaching. Who knows. THey could have a little "garden" planted out there and heading for a harvest.

very true...

Culvercreek,

I was reading a NAHC book and studies show that coon hunting does not affect the deer as much as you think it would.  If a you or a dog trips a deer it will obviously scare it away.  But your chances of taken a deer the next day were just as good as the day before.  I believe this study was done on a game farm though, which might have played a role in the conclusion. 

Yea I really hope you don't have to worry about them again and if you do I hope they get caught.

Culvercreek,

I just looked up the chart that is in the book I was reading and in morning and evening there was more deer seen after the racoon hunting.  It seems like they have a pretty good experiment as there was a control and a treatment.  Again it was done on a ranch of some sort with QDM im assuming in South Carolina. 

wow we are quick to condemn a couple hunters just for walking into the woods to more than likely do a little small game hunting???

first of all what makes them poachers, second was the land posted? this whole nazi, hunters eat hunters stuff is alittle over the top.

you see guy's walking onto your land you go over and let them know they just walked past your POSTED signs, iffen you don't have posted signs you let them know it's your land, very simple.

you guy's have these hunters labeled as killers, meth lab druggies and how dangerous they are without even knowing the story. your chances of winning lotto or getting struck by lightning in the same spot twice are far better than than getting killed by a couple hunters walking into the woods any day of the week. yawl need to lighten up alittle?

Pennsylvania Poaching | MyHuntingandFishing.com  Sep 7, 2010 ... Given the variations of hunting laws from state to state, SB 1200 spells out the specific ... Tagged: deer hunting, pennsylvania, poaching ...

myhuntingandfishing.com/pennsylvania-pulls...poachers.../4532/ - Cached    This new law in Pa will perhaps deter a few miscreants from poaching, nevertheless law abiding hunters in the State can take solace that those caught poaching will be punished accordingly.    NY needs to enact similar legislation to send a message to those poachers who are are caught; that the cost of doing business as usual has just gotten more expensive.

I think of night as getting dark or dark.  If he said sunday afternoon then maybe a "hey what are you guys doing this is private land" might do.  Sits your telling me that if you saw someone walking into your property at NIGHT time with a gun you wouldn't call the cops I bet 95% of people would anf the other 5% should be smart enought too.

lets see, two guy's walking into the woods now in total darkness with a rifle? tell me how does one go about poaching by just walking into the woods in the dark. i'm sorry guy's but i'm having a tough time with this one. hey did you guy's hear about the two city hunters pulling up to a deer check on the thruway with a dead cow strapped to the hood 8)

What purpose would they have other than poaching?. Unless the one was training the other to run coons. Night+guns+out of season....just add flashlight and presto...poaching. If you are gonna shoot them out of season I guess no larger penalty using a light and a lot fewer folks around...mu two cents for what it is worth

First I Totally disagree with SIT position...for one thing night or not and even posted or not It is Trespassing in NY and doing so with a rifle should lead to an arrest period....

But as far as night/rifle is concerned ...Yote season is open

Next ..my nieghbor had a car parked along his land...we didn't recognize...Took the plate ...called the cops...they got there just after the thieves left...but not after kicking in his back door and stealing all his guns and bow...sorry SIT's...this isn't never land ...its  the real world with nasty SOB's living in it...the guy just down from him ...they cleaned out his home ...loading everything into his pick up and destroyed the inside before stealing the pick up....both theses people were hit 2x's...out here in the country 

not saying it can't happen, but the story goes that a couple guy's out in the dark walking onto private property and this person (landowner)has the stones to go confront them in the dark with a shotgun? and then labels them as poachers huh. let me educate you alittle, poachers just don't walk onto anyones woods in the night with a flashlite in the hope of shooting deer or yotes or anything, lets get real here we all hunt right. poachers generally drive secluded roads with a spot light and pop deer with a 22cal rifle, or they shoot baited deer at night with lights. if in fact there really was 2 guy's walking into the woods on someone else's property with a firearm i highly doubt they were looking to hunt racoons.