Poachers

outdoorstom

I guess I don't really understand the controversy. I would say that given the circumstances, the assumption that these guys were up to something weird and probably illegal, is most likely a correct one. The fact that they ran away sounds like pretty good confirmation of that. I certainly wouldn't call it "nazi, hunters eating hunters stuff".

Also, the landowner has every right to make a trespassing arrest even if there were no suspicious circumstances (which of course there were). So I'm not understanding all the indignation over the actions of the landowner and the attitude of the forum member passing the story along.

Doc

not saying it can't happen, but the story goes that a couple guy's out in the dark walking onto private property and this person (landowner)has the stones to go confront them in the dark with a shotgun? and then labels them as poachers huh. let me educate you alittle, poachers just don't walk onto anyones woods in the night with a flashlite in the hope of shooting deer or yotes or anything, lets get real here we all hunt right. poachers generally drive secluded roads with a spot light and pop deer with a 22cal rifle, or they shoot baited deer at night with lights. if in fact there really was 2 guy's walking into the woods on someone else's property with a firearm i highly doubt they were looking to hunt racoons.

Maybe they had already done what they needed to and were retrieving.  I see I am experiencing disappearing posts. 

So if one doesn't see a posted sign in a patch of woods does that give them the right to march right onto it??  I don't think it matters whether they were carrying guns or not.  One can't assume that the land is state land or that the private owner welcomes hunters or anyone else just because he hasn't put up posted signs.  Those guys were trespassing whether posted signs were up or not and the owner has every right to call the cops on them.  Whether they were out to shoot deer, racoons, visit their crops, or just to take a leak the can't just enter onto any land without knowing whether it's state, private or anything else beforehand.

I would have called them an ambulance

LOL, that really made me laugh.  If someone was on my property, at night, with guns you bet your ass I'd go out there with a gun as well.  I would have waited for the cops, and stood by their vehicle, but thats me.

years ago I wen tot hnting camo with a buddy. He had to leave and I stayed alone.  In the middle of the night, the place was broken into by a young couple.  The first thig I did was grab my pistol.  They were as shocked as I when we came face to face.  They took off and I was 4 miles from town a half mile back of the road alone with no vehicle.  That was a long night. I guess what I am saying is you never now you you will react until it happens.  But always have a way to defend yourself.